• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Complain about UNSW library (1 Viewer)

gman03

HSC
Hey ppls, I am really fed up about the library and how reservation works there. A book title with 8 copies with 5 books physically on the shelf can have >2 people queuing for the book .. wtf... curses those lazy bitches.. is only week 1 for god sake

Besides having the book being recalled after 0.5 day of borrowing is just not fair... Last year they have a minimum of 4 weeks of loan (if no one reserves it already)... Now they only reduce to 1 week.... Are they affilating with the book shop and encourage people to buy >$100 not-so-that-useful-in-the-future books?

My question is: where can I launch my complain such that it will have some effect and not be CCed to 15 library personels' JunkMail(r) box?

Thanks....

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i agree
i borrowed a book and instantly the night i get home, check my email and i get a recall letter

gman03

HSC
redslert said:
i agree
i borrowed a book and instantly the night i get home, check my email and i get a recall letter
How lucky... only A letter lol... i got TWO for the same book within 24 hours apart

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
deal with it

maybe im missing something but i dont quite see the problem. if ur going to complain about something complain about the fact that dispite having their books recalled people don't return them so you end up waiting for a text for 6 weeks by which time the due date is passed and you only pass because you bothered to go to other libraries anticipating humanity's inherent selfishness. I'm happy they let you recall books and that post-grad students can recall them faster than the average week coz i know when i get to post-grad it will benefit me. Use the book when you borrow it and there won't be a problem. And as for people recalling books when other copies are on the shelf, whats that got to do with the library staff?? thats just stupid uni students who are so dumb they can't walk over to a shelf and check and see if the text is there.

CMJ

HSC
Last thursday me and a friend were trying to find a required reading book (second time we've looked), even though there are meant to 4 available copies including open reserve not one of them was there, which made us really pissed off and wondering how all 4 copies can just disappear.

Also, to top it off, that same day i am exiting the library and the gate things beep and i showed them that it was a book borrowed from my local library, they still immediately assume that you are some kind of thief even though its not the case. I mean they were just so rude in the way they handled the situation.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
jawjayo said:
maybe im missing something but i dont quite see the problem. if ur going to complain about something complain about the fact that dispite having their books recalled people don't return them so you end up waiting for a text for 6 weeks by which time the due date is passed and you only pass because you bothered to go to other libraries anticipating humanity's inherent selfishness. I'm happy they let you recall books and that post-grad students can recall them faster than the average week coz i know when i get to post-grad it will benefit me. Use the book when you borrow it and there won't be a problem. And as for people recalling books when other copies are on the shelf, whats that got to do with the library staff?? thats just stupid uni students who are so dumb they can't walk over to a shelf and check and see if the text is there.
i don't quite understand where you are heading?
students don't get to tell the library to recall books, students can queue and that's about it
it is the way the system is setup that it isn't fair

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Meybe it's the transport minister trying to improve on Sydney's already OUTSTANDING transport system.

gman03

HSC
jawjayo said:
maybe im missing something but i dont quite see the problem. if ur going to complain about something complain about the fact that dispite having their books recalled people don't return them so you end up waiting for a text for 6 weeks by which time the due date is passed and you only pass because you bothered to go to other libraries anticipating humanity's inherent selfishness. I'm happy they let you recall books and that post-grad students can recall them faster than the average week coz i know when i get to post-grad it will benefit me. Use the book when you borrow it and there won't be a problem.
I think you indeed miss my point. My point was not complaining about reserving books (in fact it is fine to have such facility). It is also fine if the book is used for, say assignments and research where you look up the index/content and wha-la you found what you need and head straight to the photocopying machine and do what you what with it. But the books i borrowed as textbook (esp. maths + science) and that they have excercises in them and maybe you are those fast-reader+fast-understand-er, there is no way I can get thru even one chapter in one week + understand it....

Now you would probably think: why not just buy the book you cheap bastard? well I did in first year and it turns out that I don't need the book for the entire semester or even in the future... I am not as wealthy as other people and library is my only option. My local library don't have those textbook I'm looking for so I can't borrow it from there.

My point here is that the reservation system should be changed so that it should be fair to those who indeed need the book for a sufficient amount of time (no, i don't mean 16 weeks lol I mean a fortnight) and not some d-head who "just want to have a book in their home incase they need to read it" and so they login LRD and click every single book on the screen ( and because if you have try reserving books before you would realise you can reserve multiple copies of book with same title). Why can't they, for example, make a single queue for books with the same title and peole don't queue for the particular copy of the book? at least i don't always have to be the [un]lucky one...

jawjayo said:
And as for people recalling books when other copies are on the shelf, whats that got to do with the library staff?? thats just stupid uni students who are so dumb they can't walk over to a shelf and check and see if the text is there.
exactly, it got nothing to do with the staff, that's why I ask where should I complain to? thanks for your reply with a question thou, appreciated much.

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
Ok, so I thought humanity was selfish but u srsly know ppl who just click on all the texts to return them just in case they need to read it? That’s ridiculous. And yes, two weeks would probably work for textbooks for the whole semester but sometimes you need books sooner than that. Especially in arts when researching an essay due in a month where there is only one copy of a book – only 2 people potentially get to read it! and imagine how confusing it would be if all different books had different times for recalling! Anyway, I know that’s not what you were suggesting but to anyone out there who was thinking it there are my two peas and a pod. But my point remains, the system would work if it wasn’t for uni students stupidity.

And redsalert, queuing for a book is what recalls it you silly duffa. The library staff don’t sit there and go oh look there is a queue perhaps we should recall it. It’s an automatic computer system which takes into account your uni level and spits out a recall request to the borrowers unimail. So if you click on ‘queue’, if you are the first person you recall the text, otherwise you are in a queue of future endless recalls…….

gman03

HSC
They should change the recalling period based on categories like textbook vs. research reference books. I agree for research type 4 weeks are way too long, esp there is only one copy of such title...

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I've noticed a couple of times this year already that books "on shelf" quite often aren't there. I'm ready to believe that some of the time, it's around somewhere with someone reading/copying it but I suspect a fair proportion of the time it's been hidden somewhere. Does anyone know a way around this (apart from being the one to hide the book), or if the library staff can or do do anything about it, or do we just need to deal with it?

Sarah

HSC
N/A
I've had the problem when trying to find journals which aren't available electronically. They're not on the shelf but if u search around on the book trolleys or near the photocopy areas, there's a chance it will be there.

Does anyone know why the firealarm kept going off today?

ace

is retired
HSC
Sarah said:
I've had the problem when trying to find journals which aren't available electronically. They're not on the shelf but if u search around on the book trolleys or near the photocopy areas, there's a chance it will be there.

Does anyone know why the firealarm kept going off today?
Because some idiot probably kept tripping it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)