• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Competition- Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

SPX

So what's the competition at your school like. At my school people have been studying like psychos in search for the top ranks and highest marks. Last year I was coming first in four subjects with my intensive study but now I'm struggling a lot more than last year to hold that position. So I'm begining to hate all this competition bullshit. I just gave my half yearlies and everyone was heaps prepared and I'm afraid I'll lose my ranks.
So what's it like at your school and how do you feel about it?

Juliet

HSC
Yeah, since the start of yr 12, my ranks have all lowered. I mean its not like I'm studing less than i did last year, its actually the other way round. I don't know what to do when my friends ask me to help them....so i just help them. But their my competition, aren't they? So should i help them or not? Its really crap when you help them and then they get better marks than you cos you did. :hammer: I don't feel bad about it, i mean i'm happy for them and all but its still crap.:rolleyes: Competition in my school is definitely there, but its mostly in the top ranking students only.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
competition is good. it drives you to do better! yeah there's competition at my skool... not so fierce though. well not with the people i hang round with anyway.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i think you need competition if you want to do well... but i think it has its good and bad aspects.

good: makes you study/work harder
bad: adds MORE pressure to your life

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah but it can be both good.

some ppl work best under pressure... stress is a good thing :( most of the time.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
I was Year 10 dux, since then though, competition increased with some freaks stepping forward. HArd pressed to hold them back! The evil bums :(

Competition is always a good thing (from basic ecoomic principal) ... but still, its a pain when you have to stress so much!

Ac:(

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i hate it when someone new arrives at the school and disrupts the natural competitive order of things

Huy

HSC
N/A
I think at my own school, there is fierce competition.
Especially in Physics/Chemistry.
We're divided really.

You've got the maths, where it's only 2U vs 3U (I wouldn't call it competition though :p)

And then you have other branches, phys and chem, along with the English courses (Adv, Ext1, Ext2) ...

Other subjects aren't as fierce, because they are fairly well established. (Some are HSIE people, some are science).

I'm comfortable with my sciences, but English is where my strength lies. (I'm a quote-a-minute man now it seems).

We were pretty 'evil' today, misleading other Ext1 Eng students in our exam, giving false details, telling them to revise other information, reassuring them that 'X' is not examinable, and so on -- Very funny :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
the general feeling at my school is 'every man for himself' now that we're in our final year of school. so i think it's okay if i become a real jerk (and that's any different now? :D)

-- but speaking truthfully, it's all about the competition and ranks.
maybe not to the point of murder (*spooky music*)
but nevertheless, rankings, assessments, marks, reputation ...

it's a thrill and only the best progress (wow that was my english flair at play? :p) -- coincidences

craz

HSC
good competition! at my school there is little competition because most of mmy people get 50% or so. Competition isn't too hot and the pressure isn't on either

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
To be honest the competition at my school isn't as fierce as I thought it would be at this time. Having said that, howver, in most subjects there are like 5-10 people who could realistically top it. Overall people are starting to do more work, and it's also good to see that the guys who topped the subjects last year are helping others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)