Comparison of Multiple-Choice Answers (1 Viewer)

Irskin

HSC
1. C
2. A
3. B
4. C
5. B
6. D (however, it is B)
7. A
8. B
9. C
10. C
11. D
12. A
13. D
14. D
15. A

I got 14/15. Yeah woo!!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Wow, so observant XcarvengerX :p

I believe I only got 11/15 max :(

yellow103

HSC
N/A
XcarvengerX said:
OK. I also chose C but I chose C only because there is a H+ there. :D
According to some people above, pH system has not been invented at that time (I think the pH concept was first introduced in early 1900), so that is the problem with C. How can you show a relationship with something that has not been implemented yet? And D, as you said, is not incorrect either, so D is the most correct answer.
As you said pH system has not been invented, sure maybe its true or not, im not sure corse no textbooks actually talked much about history since its actually a science, however at that time they also did not know about ionisation only dissociation so technically speaking D) is also wrong. i think both terms is implying an idea using present day terms.

BUT problem with C) is becuase we were not taught if weak and strong acid were know at the time so techniqually we cant say whether he show the relationship between weak and strong with his theory. so sure D) could be correct but since we are not taught this how do we know if its right or wrong. but we were however taught the answer in C) so....i dunno, maybe we are digging too deep

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
yellow103 said:
As you said pH system has not been invented, sure maybe its true or not, im not sure corse no textbooks actually talked much about history since its actually a science, however at that time they also did not know about ionisation only dissociation so technically speaking D) is also wrong. i think both terms is implying an idea using present day terms.

BUT problem with C) is becuase we were not taught if weak and strong acid were know at the time so techniqually we cant say whether he show the relationship between weak and strong with his theory. so sure D) could be correct but since we are not taught this how do we know if its right or wrong. but we were however taught the answer in C) so....i dunno, maybe we are digging too deep
I think at that time the terms "dissociation" and "ionisation" are used interchangeably due to lack of knowledge about ions, although Faraday has already done a lot of works on quantitative ions analysis using electrolysis prior to Arrhenius time.

Really hope you are right though, lol, gonna love the extra mark :D
I am not sure either; ask/PM bboyelement because I believe he knows his stuff. He said he is 100% sure that the answer is D. Or ask your tutor.

P

pLuvia

yellow103 said:
Look i thought about question 11 alot and i think is C
because 1. HE definitly proposed that ACIDS dissociates to produce H+ ions which is what gives the acidic nature THUS making C) a correct statement. Its definitly not Wrong as its in all textbooks

D however, said it explained why acids are strong and weak.
FIRST - NO textbooks actually made this point
SECOND - No textbooks gave any clue that people at the time Puzzled over or Questioned weak and strong nature of acids. WE dont know if they even know about weak or strong acids or moles. It did not STATE any of this in ANY text book.

SO therefore D could be right but we are not taught this in textbooks HOWEVER
C) is definitly RIGHT as it improves upon Davy's Theory of Replaceable hydrogen

however BOS might ignore all this and D could be correct answer which in this case i will complain to the senior marker of chemistry (his my tutor ^^) about this
Then you haven't been looking at many books have you?

Go to page 146 in Conquering Chemistry 4th Edition, or just look up the history of Acids and Bases in the book.

It clearly states there
acids were substances that ionised in solution to produce hydrogen ions: acids were strong if they ionised completely and weak if they ionised only slightly

hoschke

HSC
XcarvengerX said:
Don't make this thread become a house of lies...;)
Here are the correct answers for multiple choice section of 2006 HSC Chemistry:
1. C
2. A
3. B
4. C
5. B
6. B
7. A
8. B
9. C
10. C
11. D
12. A
13. D
14. D
15. A

Use this to mark yours if you are desperate and post your result here. If there are any problems, post it here. Note that everything has been explained throughout this thread, so please read it first before asking any questions.

Personal note: I got 13/15 which is way better than trial 11/15.
I agree with these answers but i only got 12/15 (i put 5a, 6d, 14c)

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC
Fuck, i might only get 11/15.
I think i got Q9 wrong( put A because the others relied on equal amounts of acid/base added)
I got Q10 wrong( guessed on A)
I think i got 11 wrong( put C, but most people think its D)
Q14 was bad as well ( put B because i didnt look at the table properly)

Most of the others seem to be correct. I wish they'd quit relying on trick questions to cover the curriculum.

andy_wood

Shire resident
HSC
Based on the general consensus I think i got 8/15

Q's i got wrong were 2,5,6,9,10,11,14

my answers:

1 C
2 C
3 B
4 C
5 D
6 D
7 A
8 B
9 B
10 A
11 C
12 A
13 D
14 C
15 A

Big drop from 14/15 for trial! I didn't get as much time to check as I had planned, explaining why i got all the tricky ones wrong! Definitely the hardest section in this exam...

tommy_1

yellow103 said:
Look i thought about question 11 alot and i think is C
because 1. HE definitly proposed that ACIDS dissociates to produce H+ ions which is what gives the acidic nature THUS making C) a correct statement. Its definitly not Wrong as its in all textbooks

D however, said it explained why acids are strong and weak.
FIRST - NO textbooks actually made this point
SECOND - No textbooks gave any clue that people at the time Puzzled over or Questioned weak and strong nature of acids. WE dont know if they even know about weak or strong acids or moles. It did not STATE any of this in ANY text book.

SO therefore D could be right but we are not taught this in textbooks HOWEVER
C) is definitly RIGHT as it improves upon Davy's Theory of Replaceable hydrogen

however BOS might ignore all this and D could be correct answer which in this case i will complain to the senior marker of chemistry (his my tutor ^^) about this
Sorry, but C is completely wrong - read it properly arrhenius said nothing about that - even chemistry teacher said so - and D is taught in Conquering Chemistry - claerly that is the answer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)