Comparison of Maths Ext 2 books (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
hey guys: for harder 3U questions , Higher Algebra by Hall & Knight (first published in 1887, Macmillan) is a rich additional source of questions on inequalities. But where is one to find a copy of this book? Most of them have been discarded long ago.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
maybe theres an e-book of it
An ancient neighbour of yours may still have a dusty copy lying around in his old garage.

60/70 yrs ago there were very few maths textbooks unlike the 100s at yr disposal nowadays. Hall & Knight would have been a standard text for the relative few who did maths at that level. It must have been the grand daddy of maths textbooks and many subsequent & more modern texts must have used it as a resource.

On looking up the web I'm surprised it appears to be some current interest in a number of countries, e.g. India. I was also surprised to learn that photocopy versions of it is being used in some of the more competitive Chinese-medium schools in Malaysia.

K

khorne

I have a copy of it, the fourth edition [1891] , as an Ebook...

I would be willing to send it to a few people, over msn strictly...pm me please

Last edited by a moderator:

waller

HSC
what do you guys reckon the best book for explaining the theory is? like i want to go ahead of my class but cbf'd getting a tutor

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
what do you guys reckon the best book for explaining the theory is? like i want to go ahead of my class but cbf'd getting a tutor
Terry Lee for sure. Cambridge skips too many steps, and Patel is alright, but looks old :).

Last edited by a moderator:

newnoise

HSC
Terry Lee and Cambridge are the best. Terry Lee has so many questions which range in difficulty which is awesome

h3ll h0und

HSC
is terry lee only good for the solutions/colour format? because the solutions for cambridge/fitzpatrick are up on this website...and iv heard that cambridge has harder questions? has anyone in the past used pheonix book (the blue one) for 4u?

mathsgod

HSC
Terry Lee is pretty confusing but that's onl when the worked solutions skip the 'obvious' parts. I'm finding this course a bit hard because theres no hand out and we have terry lee and two other 4 unit books from the 90s or something and they all use different language.

I agree, i reckon Terry Lee is confusing and jumps straight in the deep end for the questions. We're using the Patel book from like the '80s and its so hard to follow.

jet

Banned
HSC
I am now updating the first post with a collation of the opinions in this thread.

By all means keep the discussion coming :)

kmanns

HSC
I really like the Terry Lee Book, it has amazing worked solutions, and yes, he does jump in the deep end a lot of times, but that kind of thinking is needed to complete the HSC on time and with the least amount of steps.
He does skip the "obvious" parts, and that's because they're, well, obvious!
I believe his book single-handedly can help you do very well in the HSC and beyond.
The worked solutions help you gain a more proficient understanding of the concepts, and having almost ruined my last year of study, doing none, this book helped me enormously.

imjay

HSC
N/A
Yep I'd have to agree Cambridge do have more harder questions than Fitz. Cambridge is the one i'd prefer.
It has very good explanations compared to the Fitzpatrick textbook. :)

Lease1

HSC
In my opinion and my teacher agrees, cambridr has a Poor layout. Also I'm after some 2nd hand textbooks to
Buy if anyone could let me know if they're selling.

boredj

HSC
to be honest i think if your school uses CSSA papers for 4u then use cambridge (because arnold, and his wife write the paper), or otherwise use S.K patel, the questions are great they arnt like terry lee and jump to the harder questions, and the theory is good, i personally think the best amongst the 4unit text books

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)