compare homeostasis and enantiostasis (1 Viewer)

natnat96

HSC
my biology teacher 'hinted' that comparing and contrasting enantiostasis with homeostasis would be useful for our upcoming half yearly...
ive got definitions for both but im not sure what there similarities are besides they both permit an organism to survive in varying conditions ?

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
nah thats about all you need lad, good job

source: i got 53 in bio.

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
I think its like this: In homeostatis the body keeps the conditions within a narrow range eg as in humans, but the enantiostasis, like invertebrate sea creatures, change their bodies's chemistry so that they can function in the new conditions. So humans maintain the same conditions but the others find a way to cope, have greater tolerance for wider conditions and do change internal conditions if they can.

creme la creme

HSC
• Define enantiostasis as the maintenance of metabolic and physiological functions in response to variations in the environment and discuss its importance to estuarine organisms in maintaining appropriate salt concentrations:
– Homeostasis is the process by which organisms maintain a relatively stable (constant) or almost constant, internal environment.
– Enantiostasis is the maintenance of metabolic and physiological functions in response to variations in the environment.
– The difference between the two, is the fact that homeostasis requires only a SPECIFIC internal condition for an organism to function properly, example 37o is the required temperature for humans to function, enantiostasis is for a VARIETY of internal condition which the function can function properly at, for example diving birds rely on enantiostasis to function properly at extremely high and low pressure sky levels.
 In homeostasis heat is 'acted against' by sweating etc, the pressure for birds isn't 'acted against'; it is 'adapted' to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)