Comp1917 (1 Viewer)

ismeta

HSC
I think I may have wondered into the wrong lab/theatre. I went up the smll set of stairs before the printer and a black and white movie was playing. The lab doors were closed so I assumed there was nothing going on in there except for the first one but they said they weren't comp1917 students. I will try to express my concerns to my tutor this week but she is also a student and I don't want to be taking up her time, I'm sure she also has to study!

btw, is there like a syllabus for comp1917? The teaching seams to be unstructured and all over the place.

Yes lol the comp1917 lecturer :wink:
yeah, wrong place. Consults are always in labs. Heh.

I don't know if there's a syllabus. I know there was in previous years but I've been unable to find one for this year :p I'll let you know if I find one...

anyway, while your tutor is a student, she is a tutor for a reason - she wants to help you (okay, and maybe make money). But do ask :) tutors are there to help as best as they can.

ismeta

HSC
I will have to do it next semester and have no experience what so ever with C.

Though due to a current course I am doing, I have to practically master Boolean algebra this semester.

But then again I don't think Boolean has much to do with C.
note - COMP1917 next semester isn't with Buckland. what this means - it's probably going to be less 'fun' and less MOOC-y, and run more like a 'normal' course. If you want an example of COMP1917 off-semester you can take a look at last year's COMP1917s2 at http://webapps.cse.unsw.edu.au/webcms2/course/index.php?cid=2313. There's not nearly so much interaction with other students, I've found. However - I would generally say off-semester is less work than first semester.

also, you don't need much boolean algebra for COMP1917 - understanding of or/and/xor is fine.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, wrong place. Consults are always in labs. Heh.

I don't know if there's a syllabus. I know there was in previous years but I've been unable to find one for this year :p I'll let you know if I find one...

anyway, while your tutor is a student, she is a tutor for a reason - she wants to help you (okay, and maybe make money). But do ask :) tutors are there to help as best as they can.

So to be sure, if I were to go to the consultations this week they would be Friday in one of those computer rooms? On openlearning it says Ritchie theatre so :/

ismeta

HSC
Friday in the Viola lab - that's odd, on the openlearning page I linked it does say Viola and not Ritchie Theatre. where's it say that it's in Ritchie Theatre? But yeah, definitely in Viola.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Friday in the Viola lab - that's odd, on the openlearning page I linked it does say Viola and not Ritchie Theatre. where's it say that it's in Ritchie Theatre? But yeah, definitely in Viola.
Hmm, it says viola lab now but I swear it said Ritchie theatre Friday 12-2pm

froogle

HSC
N/A
Lol I think they are in the labs opposite the theater. I saw a crowd doing some doomsday assignment so that is where it probably is. As for the course content, the lecturer usually looks through the whatever got covered in a particular semester and bases the exam off that. So no definite syllabus or anything like high school.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
note - COMP1917 next semester isn't with Buckland. what this means - it's probably going to be less 'fun' and less MOOC-y, and run more like a 'normal' course. If you want an example of COMP1917 off-semester you can take a look at last year's COMP1917s2 at http://webapps.cse.unsw.edu.au/webcms2/course/index.php?cid=2313. There's not nearly so much interaction with other students, I've found. However - I would generally say off-semester is less work than first semester.

also, you don't need much boolean algebra for COMP1917 - understanding of or/and/xor is fine.
Well I'm aiming to get good marks in it so whatever goes is fine.

Logic gates are assumed knowledge within the first 3 weeks in a course I'm already doing :haha:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol I think they are in the labs opposite the theater. I saw a crowd doing some doomsday assignment so that is where it probably is. As for the course content, the lecturer usually looks through the whatever got covered in a particular semester and bases the exam off that. So no definite syllabus or anything like high school.
Awwww. I dont like this unstructured learning approach. I just want to know what we are meant to know and how much depth we need. I miss high school

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess I cannot no longer be apart of this conversation :( I moved to COMP1911 yesterday

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
You can still join the conversation.

Why did you drop?
honestly, i find it is really difficult to keep up with and i find it hard to learn. also, the hours of watching video lectures is a bit of a hassle for me because i start getting pain in my back and legs and it is difficult to sit down for long periods of time. I try to suck it up but it is sort of reaching that threshold limit

EDIT:
Im also thinking of changing

PHYS1131 ---> PHYS1121

first question of quiz 2 - dont even remotely have an idea of how to eve start the question and it all goes downhill from there. also there was a question at the end about chemistry or something

maybe even MATH1141 --> MATH1131. the calculus is okay but algebra is a bit difficult. also learning maple independantly is challenging

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I don't know about you for MAPLE but I just decided to do the tests and through the help of a few other first years who had been using it a few times I learnt it within two hours. I actually ended up overtaking them in terms of the quizzes within these two hours even though they had done probably double the work on them.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know about you for MAPLE but I just decided to do the tests and through the help of a few other first years who had been using it a few times I learnt it within two hours. I actually ended up overtaking them in terms of the quizzes within these two hours even though they had done probably double the work on them.
ohh wow. I had to do it all by myself :( there were some other 1st years (i assume) learning maple but they seem like the "keep away from strangers type" you know sit in the corner, head phones in, etc

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
ohh wow. I had to do it all by myself :( there were some other 1st years (i assume) learning maple but they seem like the "keep away from strangers type" you know sit in the corner, head phones in, etc
I went up to a girl and guy after seeing 1141 on their screens and asked if they were first years and asked if they would mind me joining them in learning it together. They were very helpful and I was thankful that I met the right people that day to notify me we had to get the first 3 done before next Wednesday and that we had unlimited tries.

Spent two hours altogether on those computers that day and got up to quiz 5. Honestly, just read through the maple notes. If not, just go up to random first years and ask. All of my other friends went in groups to do the maple work and they all learnt it fine.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I went up to a girl and guy after seeing 1141 on their screens and asked if they were first years and asked if they would mind me joining them in learning it together. They were very helpful and I was thankful that I met the right people that day to notify me we had to get the first 3 done before next Wednesday and that we had unlimited tries.

Spent two hours altogether on those computers that day and got up to quiz 5. Honestly, just read through the maple notes. If not, just go up to random first years and ask. All of my other friends went in groups to do the maple work and they all learnt it fine.
Hmmm, I'll try this next time. Thanks :)

froogle

HSC
N/A
What engineering and science major are you doing squar3root?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey froogle, I am doing Mechatronic as a major but thinking of changing to mechanical and for science I was thinking of doing maths, physics or computer science but I plan to drop that degree when I can. (I think after I complete 36UOC)

ismeta

HSC

if you also join the Facebook UNSW MathSoc group, they also post useful resources related to the maple test at the end of the semester (as well as worked solutions for the class tests in the maths course notes)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)