• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Communications vs. Business (1 Viewer)

karnevil

HSC
I know a girl who was doing Comm/Law at uts (journalism) and now she's 2nd year doing Bus/Law cause she HATED journalism

it was either that or Bus/Comm and now doin Bus/Law, not quite sure but she hated communications

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
And UOW offers communications/commerce which is fairly similar I thought....

But I like UTS, I'm not going to change unis.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Science > Communications
not according to a girl in my class who transferred from science/law to communications/law. she loathed science.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Don't knock communications.... I still wanna do journalism, I just want to double in with something else now.... I'm thinking about international studies again, even though I would prefer science or business (even though they are impossible double degrees lol)

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004
communication degrees r easy i heard
not much work and its relaxing
true or false?
False.

Because 1st semester is 4 comm. subjects that are pass/fail I would say that they ease us into the course.

However, it becomes a much more challenging course (i expect from second semester onwards) as they expect a high standard of you and your work - both oral and written.

But the fundamental error that people make in their assumption about communications in my opinion is that it is easy because it's an enjoyable course. Just because science may bore some people to tears and therefore make it more "challenging" in terms of maintaining their attention span for a long period of time doesn't mean the course is hard, just that it's difficult to work through because of the lack of excitement.

So, communications may seem easier from the point of view that it's more interesting and engaging for students compared to other courses, but labelling that it's easy per se is an oversimplification.

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well said Tenax....

I find my journalism subject really difficult sometimes... not because it is hard to understand, but it is difficult to pursue a story and get the info you need. It is so difficult to get interviews with people sometimes....

If it wasn't pass/fail for first year I would be stressing a bit more and working harder.... but I'm happy to cruise along at the moment, but apparently the pace really does pick up.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Well said Tenax....

I find my journalism subject really difficult sometimes... not because it is hard to understand, but it is difficult to pursue a story and get the info you need. It is so difficult to get interviews with people sometimes....

If it wasn't pass/fail for first year I would be stressing a bit more and working harder.... but I'm happy to cruise along at the moment, but apparently the pace really does pick up.
i know, i've been cruising as well! It's hard to get into those essays in particular....ARGHHH!!

Have you started? I've done zilch!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
lol of course I haven't started! I haven't even started a journo assignment I have due on Tuesday lol.

The semester sure is flying by though!!!

Do you know Alan? He's a guy I met who does Pub Comm

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
lol of course I haven't started! I haven't even started a journo assignment I have due on Tuesday lol.

The semester sure is flying by though!!!

Do you know Alan? He's a guy I met who does Pub Comm
yeah it's hard to get back into things.... it feels like i'm drifting wherever the wind takes me...

yeah, he's in my PCA class

Last edited:

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
Communication Vs Business?

well im doing a Business degree.. and for my electives im choosing all Communication subjects..
So i can major say in Marketing for business and say Advertising for communication.. and they both fit in together perfect..

blue_lemonade

i had always wanted to do journalism..but somehow i've ended up doing business.
i'd jump at the chance to do comm/business!

currently...not really enjoying business...the subjects are ok..but not overly interesting. economics i'd say is the best out of all the subjects i'm doing this semester

u have to be really motivated cos there is a large workload and u have to be really consistent with the effort u put in.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)