Communication Question! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Is this a correct definition for photoreceptor cells and what they do.

Photoreceptor cells are responsible for an animal's perception of vision. They are:
- located in the back of the retina
- a type of modified neuron/nerve cell
- contain light sensitive pigments

Light sensitive pigments absorb light which is converted into an electrochemical message, sent to the brain for interpretation. Electrochemical signal consists of a wave or stream of sodium and potassium ions which move across the cell membrane of the neuron.

There are two types of photo receptor cells in the retina:
Rods: are responsible for night vision and are found in the peripheral of the retina
Cones: are responsible for colour vision and fine detail. Mostly concentrated in the region of the retina called the fovea.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Wouldn't really talk about an action potential tbh. Like don't waste time defining what an electrochemical signal is. Just explain that the stimulus is light.

HSC
Also, for the dot point "Outline the role of rhodopsin in rods," is it suffice to say:

The role of rhodopsin is to convert light absorbed within the eye into an electrochemical signal to be sent to the brain. Rhodopsin is a photosensitive pigment that absorbs light waves in the rods and is a broad-spectrum pigment found in vertebrates, arthropods and molluses. It consists of opsin and retinal, derivatives of Vitamin A. When rhodopsin absorbs light it changes shape and begins a series of chemical reactions. These reactions produce a generator potential that starts a nerve impulse. Following this sequence, more rhodopsin can be resynthesised using ATP

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Also, for the dot point "Outline the role of rhodopsin in rods," is it suffice to say:

The role of rhodopsin is to convert light absorbed within the eye into an electrochemical signal to be sent to the brain. Rhodopsin is a photosensitive pigment that absorbs light waves in the rods and is a broad-spectrum pigment found in vertebrates, arthropods and molluses. It consists of opsin and retinal, derivatives of Vitamin A. When rhodopsin absorbs light it changes shape and begins a series of chemical reactions. These reactions produce a generator potential that starts a nerve impulse. Following this sequence, more rhodopsin can be resynthesised using ATP
Yep, that's a b6 answer.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Use scientific terminology. "Pinna, incus, malleus, stapes"

The rest is okay

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it me.. or its rarely u find questions about action potential in the past papers..
Since, we are on the topic about rhodspin, its only for rods right ?,

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Is it me.. or its rarely u find questions about action potential in the past papers..
Since, we are on the topic about rhodspin, its only for rods right ?,
You usually mention it in one of the longer response questions. And yes it is.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I've never heard of them being called that :p

Anvil hammer and stirrup
In the end it doesn't really matter as it's hsc :p as long as you mention them if needed

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)