Commercial cookery???? (1 Viewer)

jess04

hi!!!
i do hosp and do the strand of commercial cookery, i have the shitest teacher who hasn't taught my class anything- which i guess is ok for most of my class but for me and 2 other ppl who are doing the exam- we r a little confused!!
for commercial cookery what types of things do we need to koe??? eg.. basic methods of cookery ( boiling, poaching etc..)????

What other things should we koe, wat might b some questions they may ask????

Thankyou for ur help!!! :)

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
yooo im doing commercial cookery
you have to know

- organise and prepare food
- present food
- use basic methods of cookery (thats poaching, steaming, baking (that shit u mentioned)
- implement food safety procedures

im screwed
i havent finished all my competencies
so i might not be able to sit for hospo exam (its not compulsory this exam anyway - and i hate cooking and hospitality im going to hav nothing further to do with it! i think i might just not sit for the exam.... pft)

anyway goodluck!

jess173

yeh i hate it too...hospitality has turned me off everything i wanted to do!!! has anyone got some info on poaching, roasting, baking, grilling and shallow frying???
my teacher didnt give me them and i cant find anything on them ANYWHERE!!
please help me....

Lanz04

textbook will help!

hi..

if u can get ur hands on the blue commerical cookery textbook published by tafe i think.. then you will be set.. all the methods of cookery are in that book and it explains everything in detail.. i'm pretty sure u can buy the book from dymocks in the HSC section..

hope that helps..

jess04

thanx

thanx i think i got the blue book u are talking bout off my teacher, just wondering bout HACCP i koe what it stands 4 but could sum1 give me an example bout how u would implement it EG.. when cooking fish etc.. im a little confused thanx

Lanz04

haccp

we had to do a HACCP assignment that focused on cooking specific foods.. u just need to look at the 7 steps and how each could contain a potential hazard...

have u looked over past papers? have there been any questions centered around HACCP?? ... from what i've seen i havnt found any questions besides 2 or 3 marks asking to describe HACCP - in which case u define it.. hazard analysis critical control point and mention the 7 steps...

hope that helps...

if i can find the assignment ill try post it..

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
What is shallow frying??

We leanrt the others, l don't think we learnt shallow frying.

princessx0x0

shallow frying is basically what is says.
Frying in a little bit of oil/whatever..usually about 2-5cm deep? Correct me if im wrong ppls, it helps all of us sitting this exam :S
I think i got pretty much the hospitality course covered
Good luck everyone!

the xc3ption

7 Principals of HACCP

1. Analyse Hazards
2. identify critical control points
3. establish preventitive measures with crtical limits for each control point
4. establish procedures to monitor the crtical control points
5. establish corrective actions to be taken when monitoring shows that a critical control point has been met
6.establish procedures to verify that system is working properly
7. establish effective record keeping to document the HACCP system

OR you can remember this:

1. assessment of hazards
2. identify CCP (critical control points)
3. set standards and critria
4. monitor CCP
5. take corrective action
6.keep records
7. verify that the system works

Hope that this is some help for you guys

Last edited by a moderator:

jess04

Shallow frying...

Shallow frying..

This principle includes pan frying, sauteing and stir-frying. Shallow frying is a quick method of cookery which allows speed of service. The frying medium can be oil,dripping or clarified butter.

Problems with cooking might include... ensuring the oil isn't too hot when the food is cooked as the outside will be burnt while the inside won't be cooked, or the oil not being hot engough as the food will absorb all the fat and won't go brown and crispy.

A_J_Gray

has anyone got some good notes on this?
ive got none and cant find any :s

Lanz04

HACCP response

hey guys, was looking over some HACCP stuff...

i wrote this response... it might help... ?

HACCP is hazard analysis critical control points, it determines what potential hazards may arise and tries to at best eliminate the hazard and at a minimum mimimise the hazard from occuring. there are 7 key components to HACCP, each inclusive of a method identifying a hazard as well as making an individual aware of elements that could cause this hazard - not specifically in regards to the food itself but rather in relation to the transporting of the food item as well as the storing and receiving of stock..

hope it help... good luck.. we should try and post some sample responses to help each other.. hosp is a werid subject to study for.. it seems like basic knowledge but we have to know a lot about Acts and regulations etc..

- Lanz

elizarose

from my experience with this rediculously content driven course is that the haccp question is awlays incorporated into the last question like... Outline two appropriate methods of dry cooking and provide examples where haccp applies.

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
Hey I have heaps of sheets for that topic, on just about anything you need, so let me know and I'll attach it on here. I have stuff on HACCP, all the methods of cookery incl steaming, deep and shallow frying, poaching, everything and anything I think. My hospitality teacher gave us so many pieces of paper that i have more hospitality notes than all the rest of my notes put together.

kag

The question will most likely be on either moist methods of cookery or dry methods of cokkery and maybe even contrasting them. Everyone should have a grenn or blue booklet on methods of cookery. You should go by that!!!!!!!!

*bettyboop*

HOSPOTALITY pointers

hey guys.
how much does this suck. even though its not that hard and most of it is common sense, it still sucks. i have some little tips someone told me though. the keys things you should know are:
1. know at least 4 methods of cookery( this is useually asked either in multiplechoice but useually seen in the commercial cookery section)know everything about them individualy including the positive and negative effects etc

2. outline HACCP ( i know it sucks but like someone eles said, they will ask u sumthing on it. useually in the question perhaps before commercial cookery)

3. know at least 3 legislations( pick the ones to do with safety or hygiene, something to do with workplace injuries or something) pick 3 of them cos they may ask you in a extended response to talk in detail about for eg 2 in particular and the reasons etc.

4.know how to write out a mise-en-place(i dont even know if thats spelt correctly) and know how to write up a workflow.

hmmm dont know if theres anything more. but if anyone has anything it would be much appreciated if they could write in stuff.
just remeber to stay calm and think common sense. really read the questions asked.
and i know evryone asks this but if ppl do have notes and want to send them to me or anyone it would help heaps. the higher and better marks everyone gets the higher were all ranked. my email adress is caitlin110@hotmail.com
cheers
caitlin

bextahunt

work flow?

*bettyboop* said:
hey guys.

4.know how to write out a mise-en-place(i dont even know if thats spelt correctly) and know how to write up a workflow.
Whats a work flow? Is that like the steps taken to prepare a meal?

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
Workflow

Hey,

I get nagged about this in hospo constantly, so here it is:

Workflow planning:
Each task requires careful planning o that it is performed in a logical sequence. There can be nothing more frustrating, annoying or confusing for the chef than preparation inadequately done and tasks not performed in a logical manner.

The objective of workflow planning is to make work easier. This can be achieved by simplifying the operation, eliminating unnecessary movements, combining two operations into one where possible, or improving old methods. For instance, when peeling carrots, if you let the peelings fall into a bowl, the need to clean the table is eliminated.

Workflow involves four key areas: logical sequence, organisation, cooperation and time constraints.

If you need any more info, email me at chelzwaz@hotmail.com I have sooooo many notes for hospo it's ridiculous!

Chelz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)