Commerce-Which major?Best job (1 Viewer)

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
In the Bachelor of Commerce, what major has the best job prospects. In one way, in making money. Which major should you do, so that you make make the most money after you finish your degree.

It can be one, or can be many.

But i will need evidence saying what types of jobs and what salary.

Thanks guys. This information will be used in conjunction with other to decide my major if i do Bachelor of Commerce(even if its at another university).

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
You HAVE to narrow it down more. It varies too much, from Finance to Marketing to HR.

I think you will find that you can spend a year and cover yourself well enough with good subject selection to decide on any major after a semester or two.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
So I can cover myself with the topic I choose in my first year so i can choose out of most of the majors later on when I am more informed.

Also I'm motivated in like Accounting/Management/Finance sort of things. They interest me, but i dont know about how much I will be getting paid after, are they generally good choices.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
In short, yes.

To be honest, salary is not the way to decide your future. If it is, then I suggest look into Mining/Environmental Engineering. :p

You're still doing HSC, then don't worry about your major yet. You'll have a couple of years at uni to decide that.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Ok, good. A few yrs no need to worry now.

Hmm, some sort of engineering, nah not my thing.
How many majors do you get, only 1 or 2?
Also what do honours do? ive never understood honours at all..

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Generally you major in 1 or 2 areas. Sometimes having an extra major (or double degrees) may taken an extra year aswell.

Honours takes a further year to study. Most universities have grade requirements to get in. What is it useful for? It depends...Academics use it to get started in teaching straight away. People who want to do a bit of research in the area also like it; getting a taste for the PhD. Also, it can be used to better your chances of landing your perfect job. It varies, depending on what you want to do.

If you haven't noticed, there are plenty of options ahead of you. :)

turtleface

HSC
Also I'm motivated in like Accounting/Management/Finance sort of things. They interest me, but i dont know about how much I will be getting paid after, are they generally good choices.
Accounting/Management/Finance is apparently now the best combo for the CFO job in the future, according to the author of the upcoming ICAA/KPMG CFO of the future research report (Management coming from a MBA of course, not ugrad management)

Salary wise Management is paid the highest, but its not something you just do and get into I don't think. The average salary for a CEO would be well beyond 100K. But the thing about Management is you have to work your way up first, and its area that by its nature has people in it from all sorts of backgrounds.

Accounting and Finance are similar salaries on average. Investment Bankers get much higher than your average Accountant, and so do good dealers, but a good Accounting often gets more than a broker or data modeller. It depends on the job more so than the field. Finance probably has more variance in its pay scales. You could be a 35K analyst or a 10million a year head of department banker.

In Accounting, its unlikely you top 1 or 2 million unless you are a CFO of a top company, though you'd be hard pressed to find any Accountant with reasonable experience (2,3, years PQE) to be paid anything less than 80-90K nowadays. Those ambitious types who go for Finance Manager (the name is screwed, its really a role for Accountants) roles and above are almost always 100K+

Thats all a bit bullshitty in terms of the figures, so I wouldn't go with it much, its just a rough estimate I'm giving, through the vibe of the industry I've picked up from too many salary surveys)

Like redruM said, money isn't good to go by. Personally I'd rather be the External Administrator for say the Ajax company at the moment (i.e. Stephen Longley), rather than Frank Quattrone (a banker who was on at least $300 million a year at his peak)...but thats just me

Last edited:

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Oh thats great news, thanks turtleface.

It seems I am interested in the things that will get me money. Now that a bonus.

I can always change and do somethign completely different(though in commerce), cause of the variety of things.

So much selection, my brain, my poor little hsc brain, not mature enough to handle majors and crap and all that other crap. Lol, i hope im not calling it crap next year:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)