commerce/science (1 Viewer)

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
what kind of job opportunities are there with bcom - finance/ bsc- mathematics?

is it a popular double degree?

is it possible to work in an actuarial role with these qualifications?

is mathematics difficult?

wats the employment rate like for graduates?

Affinity

HSC
bank teller, bookeeper, accountant, alot of things.. a degree is less than half your education, there are professional courses for things such as CPAs etc... what job really depends on what you want.

the double degree is not that popular.. think less than 10 choosed that particular program this year, there might be some more transfering to it.

traditionally and in most of the world, people start their actuarial exams after they graduate.. and it's not such a good profession anyway.. why are you interested?

mathematics hmm.. since you asked the question you might find it slightly challenging, but it's not that difficult if you like it.

employment rate hmm...
according to GCCA 2004 stats, out of those who want to work, 64.4% of mathematics graduates and 85% of economics graduates (think this is closest to finance) are employed full time, compared to 79.7% on average. showing that mathematics graduates have a slightly harder time finding a job. On the positive side, the salaries for mathematics graduates rank quite high just behind dentistry, medicine optometry and engineering.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
this program took my interest because i want to do something mathematically based as it is my strength, and i was looking at careers like investment banking, actuary etc but im afraid of the number of people who drop out of actuarial studies and the small local demand for them.

i also have an accounting cadetship which i was planning not to take up because accounting isn't very mathematically grounded and it would waste my time, however im reconsidering that option.

do u think id be able to come back to a finance related career after doing the cadetship?

so the finance/maths program isnt popular? it sounded like a good combination to me getting-a-job-wise like in investment banking.

HSC
N/A
This may sound like a stupid question but...
This is a *four* year double-degree course, right?
and if so... why is it four years and not five years like most other double degrees?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
ShatteredDreams said:
This may sound like a stupid question but...
This is a *four* year double-degree course, right?
and if so... why is it four years and not five years like most other double degrees?
They cut out more units of study so it fits in to the 4 year time frame.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
whilst we're on the subject of math and accounting,
its interesting to note (i read this in a bbc paper the other day) that lots of math students/ grads have taken out accounting jobs. its the subjects and skills that matter when employers want to know ur compatibility- not the course (although this does help).

accounting can be mathematically grounded, i dunno about investment banking though.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)