HSC
N/A
got an UAI of 98.25, i know its not high enough for HECs commerce/law
so now im considering fee paying commerce/law
i dunno what law is like, so i dunno for sure if i can handle law
so here is my doubt, whats better of?
doing a fee paying commerce/law
or
a HECs commerce in accounting and finance???
what do u guys think?

and by the way, i know this would be a kinda stupid question since this is a UNSW forum. some say unsw is better at commerce/law than usyd, but is it really?

Last edited:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
umm it really depends on if you really wanna do law or not..

that aisde.. u mentioned u dunno if u can handle law.. dunno what law is like.. my 'intuition':p tells me u don't really care whether or not you do law.. so my final answer?- screw comm/law and do bcom@unsw.

Affinity

HSC
What's so great about law?
what about :do Bcom then graduate law if you really want to then

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The other option is do enrol in a BCom and try to transfer into Law in your second year (with your UAI, this is a real option)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
law is overrated. too many law schools these days. too many law grads.

more ppl should do arts. although not as prestigious as a law degree, the skills u pick up are similar. plus lots of choice to study sumthing that you are genuinely interested. eg english lit.

Last edited:

these days

HSC
N/A
so what should i do......
and can anyone answer my question about unsw being better than usyd?
thanks!!
one confused kid

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
it has been answered. neither one is better than the other
and everyone has told you what to do, and given you many feasible options, but you seem to be adamant on feepaying law

pungpui

HSC
try UTS BBus/BLaw and if you really must, transfer in 2nd year.

clancy04

Open day horror

these days said:
got an UAI of 98.25, i know its not high enough for HECs commerce/law
so now im considering fee paying commerce/law
i dunno what law is like, so i dunno for sure if i can handle law
so here is my doubt, whats better of?
doing a fee paying commerce/law
or
a HECs commerce in accounting and finance???
what do u guys think?

and by the way, i know this would be a kinda stupid question since this is a UNSW forum. some say unsw is better at commerce/law than usyd, but is it really?
I know all preferences have been lodged already...etc. However, after attending the UNSW and USyd open days I hope you decided not to do fee paying commerce/law. Considering such an option myself, the open day law mini-lectures opened my eyes to how stupid such an option is if you are relying on transfering into a HECS course - ie. you could not actually afford to pay the whole five years. I say this after hearing Ron McCallum emphasise that O [yes that's right ZERO] people successfully transfered from fee paying com/law to HECS com/law in 2004 [as opposed to 10/11 in 2003]. This frighteningly low figure was re-echoed when the UNSW law lecturer told the audience that only 3% of people at UNSW fee paying com/law successfully transfered to a HECS place. In addition to this, McCallum VERY STRONGLY emphasised NOT to do fee paying unless you are very willing to pay all five years of the course. Scary figures don't you think. Does anybody have any suggestions as to why they are so low? Surely at least some of the 2004 USyd candidature would have been able to obtained the necessary marks. Makes it seem rather bleak for those hoping to transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:

claudia_p

HSC
cr05 said:
I know all preferences have been lodged already...etc. However, after attending the UNSW and USyd open days I hope you decided not to do fee paying commerce/law. Considering such an option myself, the open day law mini-lectures opened my eyes to how stupid such an option is if you are relying on transfering into a HECS course - ie. you could not actually afford to pay the whole five years. I say this after hearing Ron McCallum emphasise that O [yes that's right ZERO] people successfully transfered from fee paying com/law to HECS com/law in 2004 [as opposed to 10/11 in 2003]. This frighteningly low figure was re-echoed when the UNSW law lecturer told the audience that only 3% of people at UNSW fee paying com/law successfully transfered to a HECS place. In addition to this, McCallum VERY STRONGLY emphasised NOT to do fee paying unless you are very willing to pay all five years of the course. Scary figures don't you think. Does anybody have any suggestions as to why they are so low? Surely at least some of the 2004 USyd candidature would have been able to obtained the necessary marks. Makes it seem rather bleak for those hoping to transfer.
But if this person has enough money (or if their mummy and daddy have enough money) to pay for full-fee, then it's better they do that than take up somebody else's law spot at another uni. The reason why so few are able to transfer is probably because they are competing for the same law places as people in other degrees are trying for as well. You can get into fee law with 96.something, and considering there are people on 98 and low 99s uais trying to transfer and that UAIs are still taken into accout, they would still need to do very well at uni to make the transfer.

clancy04

However, there would still be people who got 99.55 who chose to do full fee in 2004 with the knowledge they must transfer to HECS to continue studying...so my question is why...why was nobody successful when there were some extremely competent people in fee com/law? A freak occurence...or the government's deeper, more sinister motive to get everyone paying finally realised by complicating transfers? You must remember that EVERYONE in a full-fee place would be trying to transfer to HECS...who would'nt want to reduce their final HELP debt?...its not like there would be a lack of competition. I am not expecting anyone to have an answer to my question, but do not people agree this is a little strange?

If this sounds at all negative claudia p, its purely because I fear I have screwed up my preferences.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
cr05 said:
However, there would still be people who got 99.55 who chose to do full fee in 2004 with the knowledge they must transfer to HECS to continue studying...so my question is why...why was nobody successful when there were some extremely competent people in fee com/law? A freak occurence...or the government's deeper, more sinister motive to get everyone paying finally realised by complicating transfers? You must remember that EVERYONE in a full-fee place would be trying to transfer to HECS...who would'nt want to reduce their final HELP debt?...its not like there would be a lack of competition. I am not expecting anyone to have an answer to my question, but do not people agree this is a little strange?

If this sounds at all negative claudia p, its purely because I fear I have screwed up my preferences.
The problem is - it is pretty hard to get the necessary grades in law for a transfer.
I know a lot of people in my year that transferred from straight commerce to law in 2nd year on the back on distinction+ averages. On the other hand, I know of no fee payers that transferred.

Another suggestion is that people in law already become relaxed and are not motivated to study 24/7 in order to get the grades as those that are in straight commerce (or whatever) that are motivated to get into law

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yeh i'd say motivation is a big factor.. a friend of mine got 99+ and is doing fee paying law at usyd. i know throughout the year she knew she wanted to apply for a HECS place but at the end of the day it just didn't really make a difference for her.. the reason she wanted to do fee paying was so that it didn't take any time off her degree so she just chose subjects she would have chosen anyway whereas if you really wanted to do law and couldn't you'd choose the subjects that give you the best chance of transferring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)