Commerce/law over actuarial (1 Viewer)

Toby

hmm..
I've heard actuarial studies is a really demanding course, and I'm having second thoughts about it. I did pretty well in 3U and enjoy it, but i totally hate 4U (and heard actuarial is much, much harder than 4U :rolleyes: )

I've gotten my uai and made it into actuarial, yet i think it may be too intellectually demanding, so i was wondering if there was a link with information on commerce/law? (like there is on the letter about actuarial studies, because i didn't choose commerce/law as ANY of my preferences unfortunately)

I've read nearly everything on actuarial studies because I don't want to waste a year...

I enjoy business/eco/english/3U maths, and totally hate 4U, so is there a chance actuarial studies is not suited for me?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)
thanks flyin' and any1 else who replies

Also, what are the subjects for first year actuarial studies at macq, are they mainly maths based?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
I didn't like 4u maths either...

Our actuarial 211 lecturer calls maths "dog work". It's something a machine can be programmed to do. This isn't what actuaries do. We don't sit in a room and integrate all day. The demanding part of actuarial studies is trying to translate a real life situation into a maths problem. Once that transition has been made, the rest is straight forward.

Toby, the #1 guy at maths from my gradr in high school does actuarial with me. I can tell you that he stuffed accounting in first year and has to do it again. Perhaps that shows maths isn't everything.

Toby

hmm..
thanks guys, you've been a great help
I think I might try actuarial studies now, and hope for the best :)

ND

HSC
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-

Toby, the #1 guy at maths from my gradr in high school does actuarial with me. I can tell you that he stuffed accounting in first year and has to do it again. Perhaps that shows maths isn't everything.
Or that accounting is so boring that studying it is like pulling teeth. :p

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
a lot of ppl i know do accounting, nearly all my cuzins, most of em think its gay/dull/boring, but i think they do it jus coz its good knowledge/essential. But i cant c why u have to do accounting in actuarial( i thought there was no corellation b/w the 2)?!?!

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
i like accg...
in first yr you do all this record keeping crap...but at least u can get a job doing that stuff and get paid 15 bux an hr.

im doing combined appl finance and dats mainly accg stuff. accg from now on for me is gonna be like management and forecasting. no more boring debits and credits.

ND

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
Accounting; I don't like it. I'll never have to do it again! :)
It's worse than pulling teeth. ;) Think medieval torture, or along those lines. :p
Oh how i envy you. (not that i've done any accounting, but i don't have to be stabbed to know that it hurts)

im doing combined appl finance and dats mainly accg stuff.
*takes combined appl fin. off prefs*

But 1st year is the same for straight acst and combined appl fin. right?

I prefer the no-more-Actuarials-owning-me-in-Mathematics approach to things when I do second and third year Maths. It's gonna be scaled high - HD high without too much effort (hopefully). It better no backfire, tho.
Sounds like a good idea, let me know how it goes.

ND

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
Yes. You can transfer to whatever (except Econ and Comp, without Summer School :p)
I remember that you said [if i want to transfer to econ] that i should do ECON110 instead of COMP115 1st sem. How/where/when do i change it?

Btw, do straight acst do ECON110 as well?

(sorry about highjacking your thread, Toby)

My MATH235 should be more than enough indication of whether my plan will backfire or not. So in 6 months time, we'll know.
Heheh good luck.

ND

HSC
Hmm i see. So do i tell them i want to do ECON110 instead of COMP115 at enrolement?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
at enrolment, you'll sit down with a person infront of a computer. you then tell that person wat units u wanna enrol in and the times you want to have ur classes. As long as u satisfy the prereq. (entry into acst is fine for comp115 or econ110), you'll be enrolled.

tomcats

HSC
guys, ive got a prob here, i really really want to do actuarial studies in uni, but i heard dat u have to do computer in this degree, nd i seriously hate computer a lot while enjoy maths nd commerce so much, do u think i still have the chance??? very confused, help!! thx a lot !

RIZAL

HSC
it's a bludge. and you might get to do it with Ros in the department of ICS (I completely suck/I can't spell etc) :p

(Acronyms courtesy of -=MLhtʻ=-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)