Commerce/eco combined degree (1 Viewer)

danielvh

HSC
OK, I'm not sure how the actuarial exemptions work exactly (maybe you could fill me in?)

But from what I can see, you can complete a major in actuarial studies in the 3yr BComm degree with the option of going to 4th year honours. Comparing 4yrs with honours and 4years in the double I can't imagine you'd be better qualified in actuarial science with the double.

Additionally, I'm assuming these exemptions are for some professional body recognition (similar to CA?). If you have 'one less exemption' (again I'm not sure what this means exactly), surely this just means you have to do one more exam or something similar, which could be done in that extra year of work, honours or 'other'.

Correct me if I'm wrong

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
danielvh, namu is quite correct in regards to exemptions. it is just easier doing it as part of a 4 year program relative to doing honours or masters to get it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I do it, and enjoy it.
ohhh cooool!

u reckon it's better than commerce (actuarial+finance)/science (maths)? or commerce (Actuarial + finance) (liberal studies)?

i am confused as to what to choose if i don't get coop.

danielvh

HSC
danielvh, namu is quite correct in regards to exemptions. it is just easier doing it as part of a 4 year program relative to doing honours or masters to get it.
But is it worth it to do the extra year for some extra exemption?

Surely honours or a year working in the actuarial profession is much more valuable?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
but getting into actuarial honours. i would not imagine it being that easy to get in.

and also 2nd part exemptions requiring doing the courses which i dont think is exactly a good idea doing uncredited as you do honours. you may as well do it with the extra year within a double degree

danielvh

HSC
LOL fuk how do i drop my comm/eco double to a single comm
Talk to your course coordinator.

On another, but related, note, i'm a huge fan of the Melbourne Model (thinking about possibly doing a JD there).

>80 different undergrad degrees (and some ridiculous ones like comm/eco) is ridiculous and is plainly just money-seeking without thought of what provides the best education.

whoisurdaddy

HSC
hmm im just wondering what would be a better eco major between economics and econometrics. Im pretty sure ill get better grades in economics (cos its probably easier?) but not sure if ill even learn anything essentially useful.

FuJu

HSC
hmm im just wondering what would be a better eco major between economics and econometrics. Im pretty sure ill get better grades in economics (cos its probably easier?) but not sure if ill even learn anything essentially useful.
As a major, Economics is just more general than Econometrics. You're less restricted in what courses you can choose and still be awarded the major.

The four core courses of Economics (ECON2101, 2102, 2206 and 2207) are all core for Econometrics as well. Then you also have 2215 and 3203 for Econometrics. In addition, your electives for Econometrics are restricted to 2 of 3 options. In Economics you can choose 4 from a list of 26 (provided at least 2 are from List B).

In that sense Economics isn't necessarily easier than Econometrics. It is if you elect "easy" courses, but then, someone's definition of easy isn't the same for someone else. Likewise, whether or not you'll learn something useful would also depend on firstly your definition of what is useful and secondly whether you elect courses that satisfy that definition. ;)

You could do what I've just done and take the first four core courses to have a sample of what econometrics is all about. Personally I found it a bit bland so after 2206 and 2207 I've decided I'll just stick with an Economics major and focus on microeconomic courses as that's what I've found I've enjoyed and performed well in this year.

I suggest you read the handbook pages (2010 editions: UNSW Handbook Plan - Econometrics - ECONE13521 and UNSW Handbook Plan - Economics - ECONA13521) and research the core and optional courses under each major. See what interests you and go from there. Course outlines from past sessions are also available at the school website: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/

whoisurdaddy

HSC
Yeah i have been looking at the handbook. Econometrics sounds like a major that would be more useful if you wanted to go on with an economics career (since it gives you the basic quantitative and research skills) but I reckon economics would probably be more interesting overall whilst also giving me more choice.

Just a question did you find the economics subjects more fluffy/logic orientated and less mathematical than the econometrics subjects (ie like micro/macro 1) or is there still a lot of quantitative/maths segments in the pure economics subjects?

FuJu

HSC
2101 was very mathematical. It involved a lot of (simple) differentiation, probably comparable to Extension 1 level (or maybe a bit easier) HSC mathematics. There was a lot of optimisation, typically involving finding a line tangent to a curve and such.

2102 had a bit of maths too, but it was more broad and, as you said, fluffy. There's everything from bond pricing to interest rate equations to growth rates, but it was a fair bit less concrete than the maths covered in 2101. You were kind of given the equation and told to use it, whereas in 2101 you do a bit of deriving to understand the key concepts.

2206 and 2207 aren't really that "mathematical", per se. It's just statistics. Multiple regression, to be exact.

whoisurdaddy

HSC
Probably stick with a pure economics major. I Believe it gives me the opportunity to do finance related eco subjects which is really my prime focus area. Thanks for your help.

Btw I noticed you do actuarial I'm wondering how you are finding it (kinda interested in perhaps doing an actuarial major since I'm not sure about my 2nd commerce major although I have done QMA/QMB instead of the actuarial maths cores). I only did 3U level mathematics and dont consider myself highly mathematical although im willing to put in some effort and have done fairly well in both qma/qmb. Im wondering essentially how challenging the major really is (in terms of study time) and if its worth doing just to supplement my finance major studies (dont currently see myself working in a non finance career).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)