Commerce/Arts vs Commerce(Liberal Studies) (1 Viewer)

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
im interested in finding out the major differences in the structure and components of these two degrees. why is comm(lib studies) much more popular than combined arts and commerce?

any help would be appreciated

pri

HSC
N/A
mebbe because lib studies has lack of yucky commerce compulsory subjects but u still get a com degree

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
its more popular because it takes 1 year less than a Com/Arts degree, and Its a bit more flexible

timmii

sporadic attendee
I don't know if it is more "popular". I think it has a higher UAI because there are very few places in it, whilst to do commerce/arts you just pick the commerce course code - so you can't really tell how many people are doing that.

The commerce/arts road gives you two distinct degrees. You have to do all the recognised majors in the commerce degree as well, and it takes 5 years. The liberal studies path however, is 1 degree with 3 majors and a requisite number of credit units from different faculties without the same requirements of the commerce subjects, thus providing flexibility. If you want to do something "commercey", but have other interests in humanities etc and don't know if accounting etc will be your thing...commerce(liberal studies) is probably better for you. If you're prepared to do accounting, metrics etc but just know that you'll miss having history, languages etc on your timetable (i know i do!), then the double degree may be better :) Ask Sif Not 99 - he does commerce (liberal studies).

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
would i be able to do economics or finance + political economy and govt as 3 majors or 2 majors and a minor in ne of these degrees?

and how many compulsory science subjects would i have to do in commerce (liberal studies)

hk31

HSC
for BCom (Lib),....don't you need to take science subjects as well?

sif not 99

dude PM me then i can talk to u at length via email or msn or whatever coz i do the b com liberal

yeah u can do 3 majors as timii so brilliantly outlined in her comments about my degree but only 2 go on your academic testamur (what u end up with at the end of the day)

Nevertheless u can do those 3 majors EASILY, just your first year is gunna be taken up doing the endless list of finance pre req units which I am having fun completing at the moment SCREW METRICS B, anyways I am planning on doing a finance major as well as either a political economy or government major with it plus an accounting minor but I could make that into a major as well, I still have space in my degree for some random units as well, planning on doing some history next year....anyways as for the science units you have to do 2 subjects, if you dont like science u can cop out on that by doing psych (what i plan to do), history and philosophy of science or something like geology or geography, you dont have to do hectic maths,

as for other compulsorary units the only one is some bullshit course on analysis and communication I havent done it as yet so I cant say much about it but it looks cruisy

as for other compulsorary stuff you have to do four subjects from arts which can also include politics units, economic history units as well which fall under the eco and biz faculty but they can still count for arts units

I choose commerce liberal studies over com/arts because I would find it difficult to make up a table a arts major, i.e. i like history and the humanities but I dont want to make a whole major up in it though, this way I can take interest units rather than making majors up out of them. ALso as for double degrees an arts/com is pretty useless....or so I think...

anyways thats my 2 cents

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
yeah, thanks a lot for ur comments.. i think comm (Lib studies) may have to become second pref after Law now. I really want to do political economy as a major, as well as possibly economics, or Government, even if thats just a minor, or i do a few subs.

its a bit of a toss up between this and some combined law with either business or communications at UTS.

sif not 99

nick, for what your saying u wanna do maybe look at the economics and social science degree, although you probably already have, that could also be your cup of tea, depends though....

is a roflcopter
HSC
hopefully it doesnt go up too high
a 2 point jump would kill me

sif not 99

yeah u can do 4 majors in comm arts im pretty sure but it can be a bit tight I heard somebody say....what was the cut off for com lib this year anyway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)