commerce/arts majors (1 Viewer)

miffytoki

HSC
i just finished 2004 HSC and was trying to decide about doing commerce liberal studies at sydney but in the end i figured unsw would be better for commerce as i was getting mixed reviews on lib studies...anyway i'm about to enrol in UNSW for commerce/arts and i'm tossing and turning on what i should major in...its not possible to do a double major is it on the commerce side? so far finance, Human resources, and marketing are interesting me atm...was wondering if anyone could gimme some background info on them?

is it true investment banks usually target the commerce/law or economics/law students?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
you can double major commerce in commerce/arts

and, investment banks pick the best candidates for their positions based on not only academics, but social and psychological skills. As long as they think you are the right person for the job, it doesnt matter if you did Law or whatnot, you'll get the job.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
i think you can do 4 majors in comm/arts.

you have first year to decide what majors you are going to pursue before you notify the FCE office about your plan (aka majors). Your choice of electives in 1st yr can help you decide.

jjaeyin

HSC
omgiosh i put down comm/arts at unsw for my first preference!!!
i'll see u there!!! i went to the info day on wed. and omg i got even more confused cuz i went aroudn asking all the commerce ppl about wat the diff majors involve, and they wre all projecting diff opininons.....

i've cut my list down to finance, accouting, marketing, int'l business.. maybe i'll do finance and marketing, who noes? from wat i noe, we have to put down our majors when we enroL??

and for arts, i wanna major in chinese studies. but i hear u have classes like 5days a week and tests like 3times a week,,,,so that's kinda putting me off it, i'll give it a shot. email me jano87@gmail.com and maybe we can meet up on o-week lol

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
omg.. i sorta wanted to do this too with 4 majors - Accounting, marketing, chinese studies & Japanese Studies but it's 5 years! and apparently the workload is heaps. Is that true? It is most likely that i'd get into this course, but should i do just commerce instead of combining it with arts?

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
jjaeyin said:
i'll see u there!!! i went to the info day on wed. and omg i got even more confused cuz i went aroudn asking all the commerce ppl about wat the diff majors involve, and they wre all projecting diff opininons.....

i've cut my list down to finance, accouting, marketing, int'l business.. maybe i'll do finance and marketing, who noes? from wat i noe, we have to put down our majors when we enroL??

and for arts, i wanna major in chinese studies. but i hear u have classes like 5days a week and tests like 3times a week,,,,so that's kinda putting me off it, i'll give it a shot. email me jano87@gmail.com and maybe we can meet up on o-week lol

OMG ! I put down comm/art as my first preferance and i'm doing like almost the exact same majors.

com major: Finance and marketing or Int bus (I heard mixed stuff about int bus...please someone help me !)

Art major: Chinese studies and japanese studies (I got 0 jap skills but i can read and speak chinese fluently so according to my cousin I should simply do Jap studies to boost another language since I already know chinese and there is no point.)

ahahah email me toooo !!!! All my friends ditched me and went to USYD >.<

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
its pointless learning something you already know. its better to do sumthing that broadens your skills, eg political science or policy studies, to improve the quality of your written work. Ive always thought Linguistics was cool too- would that help with computing?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
as mushroomhead asked...is the workload crazy for this double degree?

miffytoki

HSC
jjaeyin said:

uhhhhh...yeah i went to open day too...was alright....that guy for the final commerce talk was good...but i was already sold on going to unsw...but yeah my friends all ditched me to go to MAQ or USYD...(i'm from the suburbs)...

anyway i think we have the first year to basically decide what to major in...if not its not a worry cos its easy to change....

i don't think its class 5 days a wk...my sis did commerce/law and she said i should try to get 3-4 days a week...just try (when enrolment comes) to put u're tutorials in the morning of the same day as u're classes...(i'm reading that to make sure it makes sense.......hope it does hehe...)

anyway yeah..will see u O-week i guess...i'm taking that wk off work....BETTA BE GUD!!....

Last edited:

miffytoki

HSC
mushroom_head said:
omg.. i sorta wanted to do this too with 4 majors - Accounting, marketing, chinese studies & Japanese Studies but it's 5 years! and apparently the workload is heaps. Is that true? It is most likely that i'd get into this course, but should i do just commerce instead of combining it with arts?
i think i only wanna do 3 majors myself....maybe 2 on the commerce side (finance and economics maybe i dunno at this point *lacks commitment*)...but def spanish on my arts side....

i don't think the work load is alot tho...compared to some other subjects (like engineering) commerce is fairly light...if u're worried about the workload u can always cut back later....or cut back and just take longer to complete your 4 majors in u're degree.....just means u won't finish in 5 years....(correct me if i'm wrong)

miffytoki

HSC
Teleph said:
OMG ! I put down comm/art as my first preferance and i'm doing like almost the exact same majors.

com major: Finance and marketing or Int bus (I heard mixed stuff about int bus...please someone help me !)

Art major: Chinese studies and japanese studies (I got 0 jap skills but i can read and speak chinese fluently so according to my cousin I should simply do Jap studies to boost another language since I already know chinese and there is no point.)

ahahah email me toooo !!!! All my friends ditched me and went to USYD >.<
all my friends ditched me too :( ahh well glad i'm not the only one....pm me if u want.

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
well since there will be quiet a bit of new people joining the commerce and art faculty next year. Might as well get to know some people now on this website :D

My email is teleph1@hotmail.com

Nice to meet u all

*bows*

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
mushroom_head said:
oooooo... let's all meet on o-week!! when is o-week btw?
O-week is on Tues-Fri the week before Semester 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)