commerce and science (1 Viewer)

clever angel

HSC
hi

i am planning to commerce and science combined next yr. wat r the job opportunities ? wat r the best combinations to major in- like is accounting & food science and nutrition a gud combination???

ne help is grtlyy appreciated

A

adamsaclown

thats what i'm doing

have no idea what to major in commerce

if you only want single majors in the two degrees (as opposed to a broader range of available units/the possibility of two majors within the single degrees), you should goto UNSW, its 1 year shorter there. Though this is 192CP vs 240CP, which means you do do less units.

aditya

HSC
anything with accounting is good, because accounting gives u the business skills/knwoledge/midset and the othe rarea u decide is where u can apply the business to and make big dollars :p

so yeah go for it... with science/commerce u get like 4 majors !!! sceience/commerce prolli has the best job opportunities...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
commerce and science job opportunities tend to primarily lie in the commercial and scientific sectors.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
redslert said:
If you have a look at the required Unit of credits required in order to get a major for USYD and compare it to UNSW you will see why USYD sucks :p

USYD hands out majors like candy, have less core subjects and require less UOC to get a major.
It is quite possible to finish a three year degree with three or even four majors for commerce at USYD, it doesn't mean you know more, just means you have a basic understanding of three different things. Where as at UNSW you can do maximum two in three years and you will end up with much greater depth of knowledge in the two.
on top of that,

- usyd exams are relatively easier (for maths)
- its easier to get into comm/sci at usyd (lower uai cutoff) and then just do advanced units and transfer into the comm/sci(adv)
- usyd is crap at business

conclusion - if u want to do commerce/science with an emphasis on the commerce degree, come to unsw.

ps unsw offers actuarial studies and financial math subjects too (one up on usyd)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
§eraphim said:
on top of that,

- its easier to get into comm/sci at usyd (lower uai cutoff) and then just do advanced units and transfer into the comm/sci(adv)

conclusion - if u want to do commerce/science with an emphasis on the commerce degree, come to unsw.

ps unsw offers actuarial studies and financial math subjects too (one up on usyd)
1) Ummm usyd is crap at business? What the hell are you basing this on?
2) Usyd exams are easier? once again, what are you basing this on? are you taking scaling into account? Are you taking the fact that usyd is an excellent science uni into account?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
on the other hand, if u wish to focus on ur science part, of degree, go to usyd, as it has a better undergrad sci program than unsw (yes dean of sci in unsw even admitted)... the tsp at usyd gives prospective students limitless opportunities in their first year to some 3rd year even post grad researches... stunning

usyd business ain't that bad... the school had a reputation of focus on theory rather than practice, and they are trying very hard to change taht, and achieved considerable success... for eg, major component of asgmt is on group presentation/class room participation / on hand practice of accounting practices rather than final exams...

+ unsw has no grass... so yeh, come to usyd =p

ps, oops, job prosperities... in comm, u'd be looking at (depending on wut u major) accounting, finance, econmoics, industrial relations and things like (sigh~~~) politics >< prolly more (personally, i will major in economics, + maybe finance or accounting)
very nice job future in comm side

sci, again depending on wut u major in... u can major in biochem, it or bioinformatics, which are popular branch of science these days... u'd expect to work in govt agencies such as CSIRO or privitised companies (say medicinal, industrial)...
other field of majoring, such as physics gives u access to area such as astronomy, engineering (material science) etc...

or, u can do maths

Last edited:

kow_dude

HSC
xiao1985 said:
+ unsw has no grass... so yeh, come to usyd =p
Usyd is MUCH greener!.... and the population culture is more diverse.

A

adamsaclown

§eraphim said:
on top of that,

- how do you know usyd maths exams are easier?
- UAI doesn;t mean anything, the year before the UAI at USYD was a LOT higher than that for UNSW - last year UNSW's was only slightly higher than USYD's

and xiao, where/when did the UNSW dean say the UG science program at sydney was better??

though redslert is right, for e.g. for a psychology major (another popular choice for people doing Sci/Comm) at UNSW, you must do 5 core second year units, as opposed to 4 at USYD, each 6cp, which means it is virtually impossible to do a 2nd major at UNSW though you do get more in depth learning on the single major

A

adamsaclown

so I think overall, if you're determined and focused and know where you want to go and want to get there fast, goto UNSW.

If you have broad interests/don't want to get suck in one field and maybe more research/learning/experience-focused (especially if you are a top student with the research facilitated by TSP and some generous advanced-unit coordinators) as opposed to "career"-focused, or want to explore different fields, come to USYD

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
some bos'er mentioned it awhile ago ... the comment was made during and open day i think...

A

adamsaclown

xiao1985 said:
some bos'er mentioned it awhile ago ... the comment was made during and open day i think...
right... clearly something one must say while trying to get people to come to ones own uni... :->

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
UNSW does have better maths programs. It's very well recognised throughout asia. Also UNSW has a TSP program.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
I'm doing commerce/science at Sydney. It depends what you major in...A lot of people do financial maths/accounting. I'm doing psychology/marketing, because i had no idea what I'd rather do, so I thought hey... I'll just do both.

UNSW is better for commerce, Sydney is better for schience, but I think overall there isn't much of a difference. and UAI has nothing to do with course difficulty, its all about demand. I didn't think I was going to get into USYD because my UAI was just under the cutoff point, but because of an overall fall in demand for university places this year, the UAI fell.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Usyd isn't necessarily better for science. UNSW physics is more highly regarded than Usyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)