• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

commencement ceremony? (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
is it important/worthwhile going to the commencement ceremony, coz its the only thing i would go to on the monday, and i dont feel like going all the way to the uni for it if its pointless..
it seems as if it would be boring

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
it is a boring load of crap really, i only went last year because my friends went...you aren't missing much if you don't go

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
i wouldnt bother

all the orientation week stuff is a bit of a wank, in my opinion

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yeah, im just going to go on the tuesday to my faculty stuff, and then afterwards to the clubs expo and maybe the library tour
how long do we need at the clubs expo?

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
2 hours at the absolute maximum...probably more like one hour...make sure you get all the free stuff there like mousepads and similar crap, that was the highlight of the clubs expo for me last year

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
oh ok
and is it worthwhile going on a library tour?
and if my faculty provides lunch (i think it goes for like an hour and a half) can i leave early?

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
the library tour was pretty useful, so yeah go on one...you will be able to leave your faculty thing early as well.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
so thats a big fat "no way, dont go" from virtually everyone?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Actually, I change my vote to "no way, dont go" after I just found out it starts at 9:30 in the AM.

That's just a little too much to ask. :p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ok thats settled

hey guys, im going to have a geography tute in GG04, but i cant find it on the map, the closest i can find is geology (G), do ya reckon thats where ill have to go?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by evilc
make sure you get all the free stuff there like mousepads and similar crap, that was the highlight of the clubs expo for me last year
do i just walk past and grab it? do they have a big table of free stuff? do i need to talk to the stall peoples to get the free stuff?
what sorta free stuff do we get?

seeka

HSC
ok, i would seriously advise going to the orientation day for your course, it answers all the questions you guys have been asking all along and tells you about the important dates to your courses as well as telling you what courses you should and shouldnt do to complete your degree. you also have a program if your in the science faculties called the sss which is a day only for science students that gives you soooo much information that youd be silly to miss out, you also form ties with older students for later reference and most people find a few familliar faces that make the first few weeks sooo much easier. the comencement ceramony though i dont think is worth too much though. so go and register for your course orientation day,,,, or youll miss out on the free lunch too!

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
do i just walk past and grab it? do they have a big table of free stuff? do i need to talk to the stall peoples to get the free stuff?
what sorta free stuff do we get?
just pretend that you are interested in the products they are trying to get you to buy / signup for / join etc and then grab your goodies and walk off with them. you will probably be able to get womyn's collective canvas bags, sta travel frisbees and calenders, telstra mousepads, and heaps of other assorted garbage

seeka

HSC
RE: registering
the science mentoring program i think so,,, but if you just turn up and talk to someone then they should allow you to join in,,,, when everyone files out of the great hall (on tuesday for science people only,,,, not sure bout others) the people participating in the mentor orientation program stay, and mentors (current students like me) randomly grab 10-15 students and take you round to free food and stuff, and answer lots of random questions you might ask. mentors are all in bright green shirts and you dont have to go with them to everything but they can make sure you get to the right info sessions for your degree. you also get either a free game of touch footy, movie or dragon boat racing. ill be there as a mentor, so if you got any questions then throw them at me, and would love to meet up with people.
i mostly will be with the forensic science/laws students but will have a few straight science too.
to register if you cant figure out how to, then contact Jodie Davis and tell her you wanna register for the mentor program for orientation: jodie.davis@newcastle.edu.au

P.S. THIS IS ONLY FOR SCIENCE STUDENTS
sorry guys but im not sure bout the other faculties, but they generally have something simmilar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)