Comm w/ Major in Info Sys (double major) vs Comm/InfoSys dual degree (1 Viewer)

AtarKing

HSC
Which would you recommend. Is it really worth the extra year required to do the dual degree to get both degrees? What are the differences in content or opportunities granted between a simple major within COMM, as one of two majors, versus fleshing that out and doing a degree?

jackleung34

HSC
Which would you recommend. Is it really worth the extra year required to do the dual degree to get both degrees? What are the differences in content or opportunities granted between a simple major within COMM, as one of two majors, versus fleshing that out and doing a degree?
I completely agree, it's a tough decision. I suppose what I'll do it outline the thinking behind the decisions

A: Commerce majoring in Info Sys
The first part is the shorter length, which is a big bonus if you are 100% on doing info sys as your major. The second part would be you would be taking less courses to fulfil the requirements for info sys as a major. Those are the major 2 benefits.

B: Commerce/Info sys
This degree is much more flexible. You can double major + info sys which can be extremely useful. The main reason people choose this is that, naturally, we're all a bit lost. You're given much more time to find what you like, more time to take more classes to decide what's for you. More importantly, you have more time to apply for internships/graduate opportunities, by taking a 4 year degree your penultimate year(the year in which corporate vacation programs become available) is in your 3rd year and not your 2nd in a 3 year degree(penultimate = year before graduation). You will also have more time to specialize in info sys with the extra year dedicated to taking more advanced courses, which can be a big plus.

Overall, those are the main points. This decision ultimately comes to what you want university to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)