Comm/Sci and actuarial (1 Viewer)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
I was reading a booklet on Comm/Sci majoring in Maths and Acturial and it suggested to do COMP1091 in first semester. Does it matter if you do COMP1091 or COMP 1011 or not do COMP at all?

is COMP1091 considered harder than COMP 1011 and would you need a good background in programming? All I did was SDD in year 12 and I dont think that would be enough to say ive got great programming experience.

Thanks in advance.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
non of the computer courses require pior computer knowledge, no programing skills required
but i guess it would give you a small advantage

i don't know about hardness between the two comp courses you have there, but i would follow the book

kaseita

yea follow the book
i hear the comp course is fairly basic anyway, so have no worries. easy to get marks

maniacguy

Originally posted by ezzy85
I was reading a booklet on Comm/Sci majoring in Maths and Acturial and it suggested to do COMP1091 in first semester. Does it matter if you do COMP1091 or COMP 1011 or not do COMP at all?

is COMP1091 considered harder than COMP 1011 and would you need a good background in programming? All I did was SDD in year 12 and I dont think that would be enough to say ive got great programming experience.

Thanks in advance.
If you want to do COMP1011 instead of COMP1091 you'll be allowed to, but COMP1011 is Haskell, which isn't very useful unless you plan on going ahead with more comp later. COMP1091 is C, which is very useful, not just for programming in general but if you want to program using MATLAB (which you'll have to do) since they're very similar.

You don't need much background in programming (or you didn't) and I think it'd still be worthwhile doing COMP1091, even though you probably don't have to (ask one of the guys on the third floor of maths - they'd know for sure), since the course looks okay, even though the title is now some garbage (solving problems with software, or some such thing!).

It's not a hard course, but it is useful to know.

aspect

dont need to do 1091

unless u have a real interest in programming, dont bother
i did it, and i regretted it (but i dont know what else i would have done, that would have been better..)
it was easy to do well in, but a rather lame and annoying course.. but from what i've heard every computing course is like that

Mill

HSC
what aspect said

it wont matter much in the scheme of things but it shouldnt be too hard to just pass at least

you were allowed crib-sheets in the exam when we went through which helped im not sure if thats still there

Affinity

HSC
no computing is bad.. coz in practice there are a lot of things done numerically.
by the way, what are the formats of the exams and assessment tasks?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Affinity
no computing is bad.. coz in practice there are a lot of things done numerically.
by the way, what are the formats of the exams and assessment tasks?
For which subject?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
maniacguy said:
If you want to do COMP1011 instead of COMP1091 you'll be allowed to, but COMP1011 is Haskell, which isn't very useful unless you plan on going ahead with more comp later. COMP1091 is C, which is very useful, not just for programming in general but if you want to program using MATLAB (which you'll have to do) since they're very similar.

You don't need much background in programming (or you didn't) and I think it'd still be worthwhile doing COMP1091, even though you probably don't have to (ask one of the guys on the third floor of maths - they'd know for sure), since the course looks okay, even though the title is now some garbage (solving problems with software, or some such thing!).

It's not a hard course, but it is useful to know.
would you be disadvantaged in the use of MATLAB in 3rd yr subjects if you didnt study C++ beforehand?

Affinity

HSC
You'll be fine. but ofcourse.. more knowledge is better than less

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)