HSC
anyone in the same situation as me?

i've changed my mind so many times this week, honestly can't decide
would love to hear your opinions/advice :D

tossing up between these two

commerce international at UNSW, four years
bachelor of accounting co-op at UTS, three years

option 1, comm international
i guess the appeal is the compulsory fourth year of exchange and the chance to learn another language, so it's a broader degree in general
the main thing i guess i that i've heard a lot about UNSW being a better uni for commerce, although i know that's controversial, and i hadn't seriously considered any other uni until recently
oh and most of my friends/family are going to unsw...
and it has a prettier campus i reckon (only in my opinion of course XD)

also i have a cadetship offer at a great company which i'd take with comm international (since you can't take a co-op and a cadetship at once), so it's not like i wouldn't be getting work experience while i'm at unsw, but i'm reluctant to spend six years of my life on part time uni

haha i sure hope i can make it into comm international if i go for it in the end
i'm pretty close to the predicted cut-off (uai 97.2), and the degree's new so i don't know whether the cut-off's accurate or not

my other main option is the bachelor of accounting at UTS
it sounds pretty excellent too
it's three years long, you get work experience at two different firms
the people that i've met there are fun and friendly XD
the location's convenient, you get a 12-13k scholarship
BUT the course load is 120% of a typical uni load which means more hours, and i think the timetable is less flexible than UNSW which doesn't really lend itself to a part-time job... and you don't get as much holiday time etc etc coz it's an accelerated course

actually i was leaning towards the bacc, but a few people i know that received a bacc offer gave it up to go to unsw. gaahh so i still can't decide D: stupid people messing with my mind

hmm and is it possible to transfer between the two halfway through the year, or at the end of the first year?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
if you're just after accounting then UTS won't hold you back. Shouldn't be a factor in your decision against it.

6 years part-time? strange company for a cadetship. Most are 4 years.

I'm currently doing a cadetship /w unsw. unsw is no doubt the better campus (uts: what campus?)

Overloading a little so I can finish in 3.5 instead of 4.. I'll have 6 months all to myself, no work, no uni. I'll have money saved up also from 2 years of salary and the uni allowance provided by the firm at the same time - should make for some awesome travelling. So all up i'll have 3 year degree, 2+ years of work experience and 6 months of travelling all within 4 years. Just giving another perspective.

Ceteris paribus, for an accounting career the BAcc would be better than com/intl @ UNSW. If you want to spend less time working and more time to yourself then thats a different matter.

jzkx

HSC
sorry i was vague about my cadetship
i think it's part-time uni in the first and second year, then full time uni in the third and fourth year, so it totals six years all up

your six months of travelling sounds awesome. but how is it that you get six months off work? did your cadetship company agree to give you a six month break?

another question,

i'd like to work overseas in a few years time, and i know UNSW is better recognised internationally. so would going to UTS compromise finding work overseas in any way?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Re: 6 months off

The cadetship works as a 2+2 whereby the latter half is full-time uni. Under the contract, they'd expect me to get back to work say, start of 2011. Since i'll be finishing university 6 months earlier they won't expect me back to work 6 months earlier - for all their client planning, etc. they'd have me starting as 2011.

Not sure about UTS and overseas reputation... but on one hand, they have a pretty solid international students program with partner universities around the world and so on... Having such a program in place would suggest to me that their degrees are worth something overseas.

redom

HSC
oo im doing bacc next year! and ive also had to juggle between a few different options! this decisions hard!:(...lol

in terms of international exposure, i think with bacc you get that option in the third year with its exchange program.

and your getting paid with bacc...so a part time job wont really be neccessary. anyway, from what ive heard, many bacc's have part time jobs and they manage to balance it in. I plan on doing so myself, but itll be preety hard when the internships come around!

in terms of uni's...i really didnt see myself going uts at all throughout the year. Always wanted to wind up at unsw...but i think itll be crazy to give up on bacc based on location and uni rep esp when the course is very repubale itself...haha and i guess ill grow into a uts fan as time passes!

goodluck:)...hope to see u next year!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)