• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Comm, Admin or Mngt? (1 Viewer)

goldenboot

HSC
Which course should I do; commerce, business administration or management (generally speaking), if I want to run my own business?

Cheers

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Management over Commerce for sure.

The most important skill in running your own business is the ability to manage people and issues - that's why people who are in charge are called Managers or General Managers. It's ok if you, for example, didn't understand accounting.

There's a reason why business owners hire accountants, rather than do accounts themselves. What you need to be able to do is manage your accountants, especially if your business ever grows large enough to hire multiple full-time accountants or maybe even establish its own accountant department.

Similarly, who cares about economics if you're going to run a national car-washing business, for example? Are you really going to sit there analysing supply and demand (economics)? Or run some CAPM model (finance)? You only undertake these majors because you can't start your own business and need to get a graduate job where you're just one of the many cogs in an entire machine.

I'm not sure what business administration is so I can't comment on that.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
What you say is true omnidragon, but management studies teach you jack all.

If you want to manage a business, then you should be learning about that specific type of business.

If you don't know what sort of business you want to run, then you would probably be better off not going to uni and thinking about that first.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually going out and doing some market research and going to the bank to get a business loan might be better steps.

Then again, I'm guessing the OP HAS to do a degree because of whatever reasons: pride, parents, 'it's just the normal thing to do' attitude.

Anyway, I was being sarcastic. As if do management. But if I said this, management students would hate me... but I guess as if management students would surf some nerdy forum like this.

So I agree with you vaga. Management? One word: lmfao (actually that's 5 words).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)