comic books? (1 Viewer)

damnueconomics

poor poor student
HSC
hey all,

does anyone know when the comic book convention is oging to be on this year? i tried to find infromation on it but i didn't seem to get anywhere. can anyone be of any help? i thought a comic is kind of like a book so this was probably the best category to put it in. Anyway hopefully one of you can tell me the website to look up or something?

thanks

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
No idea. I'm going to ignore the original purpose of this topic, and am going to recommend The Sandman by Neil Gaiman. What is it about? It is about a dysfunctional family of anthropomorphised ideas, named the Endless. The protagonist is Dream, the literal embodiment of dreams, who finds himself captured in a freak event for over 70 years in a glass prison. Naturally, the kidnapper asks for the usual things - immortality, youth, riches. Naturally, he gets none of it, is put into a horrific waking nightmare for the rest of his days, and Dream has to set out to recover his power back.

I've just read Book 4, and my god is it one of the most horrifically beautiful things I have ever read. Kudos particularly for the depiction of Thor, an enormously muscled thug wielding a comically small hammer "It gets bigger when I rub it."

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
damnueconomics said:
hey all,

does anyone know when the comic book convention is oging to be on this year? i tried to find infromation on it but i didn't seem to get anywhere. can anyone be of any help? i thought a comic is kind of like a book so this was probably the best category to put it in. Anyway hopefully one of you can tell me the website to look up or something?

thanks
Well there is the Supanova pop culture expo which has alot of comic book, anime and manga stuff. Its on at the Sydney Olympic Park, October 27 to 29.

AznPsycho said:
I'm going to ignore the original purpose of this topic, and am going to recommend The Sandman by Neil Gaiman.
While I love Gaiman's novellised work, I thought Sandman was rather poor...though I'll admit that I found Death and Delirium to be interesting.

Trillium

HSC
I liked Gaiman's Sandman- it was cool... Well, i actually loved and ended up buying the childrens book... it's basically all seven of them in chibi form, kinda. Centered around Delirium. So very cute.

I did, however, like 1602 better. It's basically Gaman's interpretation of a few Marvel characters in the year 1602, about realities and what not. Awesome stuff.

And now i'm going to sway the topic even further, to see what other comics people might recommend? I hear tell that "Girls" is supposed to be somewhat confronting, but good. I haven't seen it as of yet.
Oh, and the "Flight" books... they're getting evermore expensive *dies* but are so very, very cute- fantastic.

And another question on the same kind of topic... I've been reading the Coheed and Cambria books- illustrated by Christopher Shy... a few days ago i was looking (randomly) at a comic about Indians and Norsemen? Or something similar... the style was CG and very similar to Shy's (in fact i think it was him) and i got to thinking ... just how many comics are turning more and more to using graphics that blatantly and obviously computer generated? They basically look like game stills with a liberal application of the smudge tool in photoshop.
Not that it's necessarily a bad thing... i was just wondering.

~Trill

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
What was wrong with Sandman anyway? Book 1 is fairly good, the beginning of Book 2 was excellent, Book 3 was rather average, and Book 4 was absolutely brilliant.

Comedy option: Rob Liefeld

Edit: Picture added

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Trillium said:
And now i'm going to sway the topic even further, to see what other comics people might recommend? I hear tell that "Girls" is supposed to be somewhat confronting, but good. I haven't seen it as of yet.
Oh, and the "Flight" books... they're getting evermore expensive *dies* but are so very, very cute- fantastic.
~Trill
Well on the Marvel front I'd reccomend any of these - they're prob the best the company has come up with in the last 6 years (most are in TPB as well):
Runaways (its by Vaughn and its pretty cheap as well)
Young Avengers (Heinberg)
New X-men (the Grant Morrison ones...not the recent Kyle & Yost run *shudders*)
X-men (since the start of the Carey run)
Exiles (the Winick and Bedard runs)
X-Factor (the recent Peter David run)
She-Hulk (Dan Slott runs)
Astonishing X-men(Whedon)
Alias (Bendis)

Other Publishers:
Fray (also by Whedon)
Fables (Willingham)

AznPsycho said:
What was wrong with Sandman anyway? Book 1 is fairly good, the beginning of Book 2 was excellent, Book 3 was rather average, and Book 4 was absolutely brilliant.
The art quite literally gave me a headache and I usually hate it when writers do the hell dimension thing, also the mixing of elements from the larger DC universe with the Sandman thing just really irritated me for some reason.

And Liefeld 00ber muscles are just wrong - Cpt America would need double D+ cups with cleavage like that:/

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
kami said:
Well on the Marvel front I'd reccomend any of these - they're prob the best the company has come up with in the last 6 years (most are in TPB as well):
Alias (Bendis)

Other Publishers:
Fray (also by Whedon)
Fables (Willingham)
/
holy shit i read alot of those you do man.... runaways is awesome, young avengers, ultimates, new avengers, even she hulk...

fables is good too.
anyone used to read gen 13?

PterodactylFace

HSC
Currently into:
V For Vendetta
The Punisher (MAX imprint)
The Goon
Civil War
Uncanny X-Men
Fury (MAX imprint)

The current Wolverine: Origins is really disappointing though.

360flip

HSC
N/A
yeah i used read bone, classic marvels, phantom and dragonball z back then! kick ass comics werent they!

Trillium

HSC
Fray (also by Whedon)
Oh, love this one. Pretty pink haired chick killing weird vampires. WOnderful.

I was looking at Bite Club earlier... it was kinda weird, but i liked how they used colour.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Kami said:
Alias (Bendis)
Wow, we have the exact same taste! I love all of those books!

Did you hear that BKV and Alphona are leaving Runaways? But they are being replaced by Micheal Ryan and Joss Whedon!!!!!!!

Still trying to get my hands on Morrisons New Xmen run tho, I think the entire run is coming out in an Omnibus before Xmas. Better start saving though itll probly be a bit pricey.

I didnt know Fray was by Whedon. Might have to pick it up, although I have no idea what it is about lol.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
kloudsurfer said:
Wow, we have the exact same taste! I love all of those books!

Did you hear that BKV and Alphona are leaving Runaways? But they are being replaced by Micheal Ryan and Joss Whedon!!!!!!!

Still trying to get my hands on Morrisons New Xmen run tho, I think the entire run is coming out in an Omnibus before Xmas. Better start saving though itll probly be a bit pricey.

I didnt know Fray was by Whedon. Might have to pick it up, although I have no idea what it is about lol.
I know! It was such a shocker about the Runaways news, I would never have thought that BKV would leave his baby.

And the NXM Omnibus should be fairly good value - especially if you get it over Amazon. Its such a pity that Morrison left with his ideas incompleted though and now Whedon and Pak and Bendis are retconning pretty much everything he wrote.

And Fray is in the Buffy universe, basically long after Buffy has gone there is a Slayer in town with a twin brother and a demonic watcher.

akia

HSC
N/A
Hi damnue,
yah,i think five to six comic book conventions are over,recently i mean on dec3 http://www.comicbookscifi.com/ conducted comic book convention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)