Comedy in MW's? (1 Viewer)

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I've only jsut started EE2...and I've got an idea mapped out, but when i try to write it, it just doesn't come natural. I naturally write in a style where I talk shit and make fun of people...and eventually write crazily stupid things.

I mean, I started off writing a story in class about an olympic swimmer that got jumped on by a rabid crowd member and the swimmer killed the dude...and ended up with him falling out of jail as the walls were made of papier mache and then get kidnapped by Afghanistanian rebels who were led by a giant, walking, piece of shit by the name of SOULSTICE of whom you must say his name in capitals because it looks cool.

Obviously, my MW would be a little bit better than a piece of shit, but how does comedy generally go in EE2? Most short stories I've read of other people have more serious undertones and I've never read a comedy. Anybody here know of somebody who submitted a moderately funny piece and got decent marks for it?

J

jhakka

If the humour in the story adds to the overall effect of the work itself, the character, the scene, or whatever, there's nothing wrong with comedy. Humour is a legitimate technique, however it should be used carefully as it is easy to go overboard.

Don't worry about writing crap. At this stage it doesn't matter in the least. I got my idea mid Term 1 this and finished my first draft mid Term 2. I wrote a lot of crap before that, and most of it didn't make sense.

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
I didnt complete my piece until the night before, remember! I kinda wish I'd used humour - i LOVE humour - even the stupidest thing is enough to make me chuckle.

Justin's right - humour, if used in good taste and moderation, is a very valid form of written expression :)

Go for it!

HSC
N/A
I agree. A lot of my earlier drafts fell into the "obtuse" category or the "plain stupid but funny" category. Somewhere along the way I found a median :D

I say that if satire is your strength, stick with it and see where it can take you. Don't give up on yourself yet!

Actually, if you want, give me a look at the major work so far, or generally just stuff you've written - I'd love to have a look :) Only if you want though.

Hoplite

HSC
I think if you go with humour at least make it satirical in some way. If I could do it over again, I'd do something satirical and easily relate it to 'telling the truth.'

J

jhakka

Humour does not have to be satirical. It can just be something as simple as a witty response in a conversation between characters to get the story moving.

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
i used humour in mine, it was more wit and whimsy, some people found it hillarious and others didn't even crack a smile so just keep in mind that if you do write humour, you have to get like 20 people to read it and know what kind of things they like to read, what kind of person they are etc.. before you can determine your 'reader' who will enjoy your style of writing the most... my MW is in the showcase if you want to read it

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
AH HA!! There is a BOS member in showcase!

*dances around crazily*

LOLLLLL!!!!! I meant that 'BOS 2004 showcase' thats in the EE2 forum :p

HSC
N/A
aww...

Got me all hyped up... it's ok though, I forgive you :p

I think we all have a little bit of humour, or at least, most of us do. My short story was... quite... "postmodernish, only read with the aid of the ten-foot-stick" variety. Without humour, it really only belongs in a dustbin, let alone the right to waste precious trees.

J

jhakka

Humour makes characters quirky, individual and more human.

I was about to yell at ~V~ for stealing Katie's spotlight for getting shortlisted for the Showcase, but then decided it wouldn't be nice as at the time I was truly happy for ~V~. But then we were all wrong and I avoided looking like an idiot. :)

steffo

steph
HSC
i think humour is an amazing technique to engage readers, and if it's what comes naturally to you as a writer, you cannot fight it.
but ye, writing random shit even fi it is funny may not go so well in the end, but just write and write and write, and get lots of people to read it.
that's the thing about humour and comedy in rwriting- other ppl have to find it funny, not just you, otherwise its completely second-rate.

personally i believe EE2 is too bogged down by lame angsty deep and meaningful/boring major works that look too deep into life, when all we really want to do is laugh.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
steffo said:
i
personally i believe EE2 is too bogged down by lame angsty deep and meaningful/boring major works that look too deep into life, when all we really want to do is laugh.
I totally agree with that statement. Whenever I read/watch/hear Major Works of *most* past students of EE2, I finish with this sad, empty feeling. It's almost like it's their purpose to shit you off. Therefore, mine's not going to be funny as such...but more optimistic I suppose. I want the marker's to watch my short film and sigh in happiness. How I'm gonna do that, I have no idea....but it will be done!

phatic

HSC
Ah, but the best humour is born out of an excessively deep look into life! I laugh at Dr. Strangelove because it is so painfully accurate, so tragic, so intolerably depressing if taken seriously... This is where humour lies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)