Combining Study Periods into Study Day (1 Viewer)

hholbrook

HSC
Hi,

I am currently in Year 11 at a Catholic school. Last year, my school made the decision to accelerate SOR 1, to complete the HSC exam in Yr 11. They did this because they felt the subject was lacking in the academic rigour as a consequence of only having 2 lessons a week. As a consequence, in Yr 12, we will have more study periods than usual, with students that will complete 10 units in total (9 units + SOR1) only having 36 lessons a week on a 50 lesson fortnightly timetable. In addition, some students who have completed additional units will have even fewer lessons.

The school is proposing that next year, we combine 5 of the study periods from one of the weeks to create a study day once a fortnight, most likely on a Wednesday (to avoid the 3 day weekend). Students would not have to come to school however teachers would be available to supervise and help should they attend. I am completing 5 units this year (SOR1, Legal Studies, and VET IT), and could potentially have 26 study periods out of 50 lessons a fortnight however at the moment I am planning to complete a total of 13 units (5 in 2013 + 8 in 2014).

I would like to know what the BOS Community thinks of this. Is it a good idea or a bad idea? In my circumstances, will it benefit me or place me at a disadvantage?

Harry

Streetboy

HSC
N/A
Lol, who do you study for Studies of religion... do you use multiple textbooks. Do you create notes. What are you study tips for SOR 1U, I am also doing the subject.

hholbrook

HSC
We have some good resources, extra lessons, and a number of teachers available to support us.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I think you would end up bludging some of the periods if it was all on one day in my opinion. I find i utilise my study periods more when i only have one in a day, compared to others days which contain 3.

Ricktatorship

HSC
It would all come down to the individual, and how disciplined they are. Like Drifting95 said, one is more likely to be less efficient if they have ALL DAY to study. It would be easier to procrastinate imo. People at my school sometimes have a double free last, so they go home at lunch. They then do absolutely no work at home, while they would have worked if they stayed at school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)