Combined Law (1 Viewer)

ShirLz

Originally posted by Alex
Laugh at your own will but this (if all goes well) is my plan for my future education.

1. Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science) / Bachelor of Commerce - USYD - 5 years
2. Post-Graduate Law - USYD - 3 years
3. Masters of Law - No clue where - no clue how long

What do you guys think.

good plan - but u have to do your masters before u can actually do your post-graduate, don't u?? :D

dvse

HSC
N/A
Laugh at your own will but this (if all goes well) is my plan for my future education.

1. Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science) / Bachelor of Commerce - USYD - 5 years
2. Post-Graduate Law - USYD - 3 years
3. Masters of Law - No clue where - no clue how long

What do you guys think.

I would suggest elelctrical engineering instead. Not only will you get much better grounding in physics and math, but also some idea about analogue and digital circuit design.

Also in my experience higher level elec eng classes tend to be much more rewarding than comp sci (several of which you should be able to take anyway).

The downside ? Quite a bit more work.

Of course if that's not enough and the load is too light, you could always do actuarial major in commerce (if i'm not mistaken they have recently introduced it at USYD).

So you can be an engineer, an actuary and a lawyer ! Would have to work rather hard to pay the membership fees of all the professional organisations alone !

ShirLz

hehehe isn't dat a positive thought - figuring out the amount of membership fees you'll have to pay, n lets no forget indemnity insurance:p

Alex

I was hoping to do something with computers as my first degree as I feel that I would enjoy doing something computer/law related. Engineering, IT, Computer science, they are all several possibilities as I'm not quite sure what I can get into or not.

Halba

why is law at mac the shits?

Can you please elaborate when u say it is shit? Gotta give reasons for your answer! thats what the teachers always say!!

I am thinking of going to Macquarie Law. Syd Law is ridiculous at 99.4, but not completely unachievable for me( i have only bombed in 3unit maths so far)

Halba

Alex...

too much study aint gonna help ya. all your friends and ppl like me will be laughing as by the time you are earning, we have already ammassed a solid 4 years of earnings. Don't do that, thats just ridiculous.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'm not sure who said that, but there's nothing wrong with law at Macquarie...

Alex

Yeah. but after 10 years I will have a lot more money than you will after 14.

A barrister earns a 'minimum' of $2000 a day from what I have heard. What can you say to that?

ShirLz

Re: why is law at mac the shits?

Originally posted by Halba
Can you please elaborate when u say it is shit? Gotta give reasons for your answer! thats what the teachers always say!!

I am thinking of going to Macquarie Law. Syd Law is ridiculous at 99.4, but not completely unachievable for me( i have only bombed in 3unit maths so far)

well, to say its shit is an exaggeration i woould say...the thing is though that usyd law school is one of the established n recognised in australia...so there's a probability that followin your graduation from usyd law school, u'll b hired by a renowned, global and/or prestigious law firm - but then again, its possible that u won't....:)

i want to go to usyd becoz i've fallen in love w/ its law program n coz i went to their open day lecture...the guy who spoke was the dean of law - he was blind, but his passion for law was dead obvious - he left me totally inspired - thats y i wanna go...but its good to keep optons open - i mean, not everyone can get 99.4 :)

F.O.B.

omg I was at the lecture too.

I could tell he was blind cos he just kept staring at the roof.

Absolutey amazing guy.

ShirLz

extremely amazin - it was just the way he spoke - n the fact that he was where he was - standing on the stage despite the fact that he couldn't even see - n here we all r - whingin about whether the UAI is 90 or 99.4 - he was totally inspirin, wasn't he?

F.O.B.

An absoulute inspiration and an even better salesman, thanks to him now we have to aim for 99.4!! grrrrr

ShirLz

Lolz - yup i bought every single word he said - i reckon if he wasn't a lawyer n a dean, he'd make an excellent sales exceutive... well i'm aimin for 99.5 - to stick on the safe side :D
UNSW will have to offer me an arm n a leg more this weekend for me to even consider them now

F.O.B.

I hear UNSW's got a slightly better law course than USYD , I'm gonna go check it out.

You never know, this dean might be a quadraplegic

ShirLz

lol dat is soooooooooooo slack...unsw doesn't have the combined prgram i want - but i'm still goin there w/ an open mind

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Lazarus
I'm not sure who said that, but there's nothing wrong with law at Macquarie...
I hope, since BCommerce/BLaw @ Macquarie is my 1st UAC preference

=(

I was at the open day as well and i agree with all of u.

i wish i could get 99.4....but unless i bribe the markers....it aint gonna happen :(

Im lookin to do an economics degree at USYD (89.5)
and transfer into combined law or if i fail at that im hoping to do grad law. - and if that plan fails and wollongong accept me ill do my degree there.

BTW, I happen to know many barristers and solicitors. They all belive that USYD is the best LAW school. UNSW is stronger in other areas (esp fine arts) and Wollongong has a killer commerce program.

good luck to u all !

(p.s. if i end up completeing some useless degree....somebody hire me as a solicitor ;) )

Last edited:

SkAnDi

HSC
I shall do Comm/Law @ UNSW.

Let no body stand in my way.

(i hear it's a really bad course, and you learn nothing.. so no one put it down ;) )

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hehe
I got 2 friends from skool, in last yr's Yr12 that do Com/Law @ UNSW..one's a freak, getting like a High Distinction average....but anyway, they said they group all the James Ruse and Syd Grammar into one "class" and the rest in another, or sumthin...!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If u do a little bit better in the HSC exams than u have been all year, u should get 99
because ur in, or almost on Band 6 in all of your subjects
have a go at estimating ur UAI with laz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)