Combined Law: USYD or UNSW - which is better? (1 Viewer)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
usyd seems to have the reputation, tradition, and generally old-school feel about it, but unsw has some very attractive options, and markets itself quite well. any of you guys have an opinion? anyone studying law willing to talk up their uni?

Soul

New Title...
Inside view,

Well, speaking from an objective standpoint, Unsw really does lead the field, I mean, they've got me in the degree for starters so you know they're doing something right. Furthermore, UNSW's logo looks just so much cooler than the USYD one which just smacks of archaic cheapness.

Psst, now guess what? UNSW actually gives you laminated student IDs whereas USYD requires you to actually 'make-your-own' (they post you a little piece of cardboard with a square to post your photo upon - you have to fill in your name yourself!) In fact, I was enrolled at USYD until I found that out, jeepers, I nearly enrolled in a cheapo institution! Thus I changed my mind and enrolled at UNSW. Huh! can you imagine! if USYD gives their graduates the same 'ooh make your own degree certificate postal playkit' then, really, I didnt want to stick around.

Furthermore, in the 2002 Australian Best University Guide (you get at your newsagent), disregard all the stats but these, UNSW comes top marks in the 'student hunky/sexiness quotient grade'. Obviously, my attendance will now have pushed UNSW ratings through the roof thus affecting the averages, but still - very good data. The same applies via the grades score, yes, I know we have set the bar rather high.

Another thing that denotes UNSW from the 'competition' is that UNSW has much better muffins. As law students are rather busy people, I've found that these tasty mini-cake treats are excellent for replenishing one's own energy levels. Again, The muffins at UNSW are really quite excellent. It was a major factor in my decision.

Secondly the law faculty. Usyd is initially at the main campus for the first three years and then at the St James campus. Now, this is very important. Usyd is currently trading upon its Hogwart's castle similarity, what with all the sandstone, gothic statues and such. But don't be fooled! Did Macquarie University graduates of the early 1990s profit from the green campus's brief affiliation with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I have met many a combined law graduate who has bemoaned the Leonardo watermark on their graduate certificate. One day, yes, There will come a time when Harry Potter is no longer 'with it' - they will be as 'cool' as enid blyton books, 1970s 'fat ties' or Pokemon. On the other hand, UNSW is a modern facility, sleek, cold, intelligent, functional, with great degree programs to boot. One will come out of there with a piece of paper that one can really be proud of, not one with all the usefullness of fish & chip wrapping paper!

The law faculty at UNSW is awesome. It is the best. It is suitably situated in this tall grey building in the middle of campus, in this tower of power, the law students are properly catered for. There are high-tech lifts which are super fast, super clean and super fun. Everyone is just so nice. There are computers on every level. And there is a secret clubhouse at the top where only UNSW law people with special code rings are allowed access to. Aaah, how good is UNSW! its combined law programs are truly the best ever everestness.

Aaaah, I could wax lyrical about how good UNSW is in terms of the combined law degree program in terms of best prestige, tradition and experience!

Hehe, really, being serious now

Im not issuing a challenge against any other unis, this is all in the sake of humour, and my boredom ;-)

- the best way is to do some research yourself - open days, friends of friends who go, contact someone at university, but most of all, do your best so you can achieve yourself in!

Last edited:

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
youve gone a long way for the sake of humour...

timmii

sporadic attendee
hehe, u forgot the added bonus of having UNSW first before USYD alphabetically (becoz uh, thats the only place they're first ;) )

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
What're you thinking of combining it with, pigs_can_fly?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's safe to say Commerce/Law in particular can't be beaten at UNSW, since it has the international reputation of being the best Com/Eco/Business faculty in South East Asian region. So yeah, what u wish to combine with Law should be your basis for a decision

timmii

sporadic attendee
Asq, you are clearly demonstrating you haven't read Harry potter! Hogwarts AKA Usyd is the *good* place. The only safe place to be trusted :rolleyes: You're the one doing dark arts/law! :p Thanks for the invite anyway, I'm happy where I am though :D

Minai, I did all the research etc because I was concerned about going to usyd after having heard how extraordinarily "superior" unsw commerce was. Frankly there wasn't much of a difference. Yes you have the biggest school of banking and finance, but our accounting and finance disciplines are better affiliated to industry bodies. Also you can't yet do a double major with law at unsw, which you can at usyd. I seem to be enjoying my course far more than any of the unsw commerce people I've spoken to but, thats probably got more to do with me than the course. Which is i suppose the crux of the issue - choose to go where you personally will be happier due to external factors etc, because when the courses are similarly well respected, it will be up to you to make it enjoyable and worth your while to do well...:D

On a far more important issue however, I can personally vouch for the quality of the usyd law social events ;) :p :drink: :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
Hmmm i can see my anonymity is being steadily eroded :rolleyes:

timmii

sporadic attendee
*sigh* its an indictment on unsw teaching of law (and even english, philosophy and history) that you're seeing things in such a "black or white" manner... :rolleyes:

It sounds like your uni is the ministry of magic - denying the truth of the goodness and honesty of Dumbledore, the order of phoenix and hogwarts...:p ;)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Everything I've seen or heard points towards the two law schools being almost identical... except for one thing.

I can honestly say that it seems the USYD law folks are spoonfed. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know. One of my tutors gave us a small example of the difference in teaching styles between the two universities; at USYD, in Torts, a wide range of torts are covered, and students are given definitive lists of the legal tests that need to be applied for them. At UNSW, the emphasis is almost entirely on the tort of negligence, and the others are only briefly touched on - the idea being that, as the legal tests change over time, there's little to be gained from rote-learning the ones that are presently used. Instead, we should be able to uncover the current tests for ourselves when needed.

Not having done Torts at USYD, I can't vouch for the authenticity of that comment, though various USYD friends have - and our tutor is very level-headed and down-to-earth. The style of teaching is the only actual difference I'm aware of.

is a roflcopter
HSC
anyone wana comment on law at the other uni's? :D

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
im thinking i'll prbly go for comm/law or ecos/law, more likely comm, and i know that UNSW has the whole commerce reputation and apparently the law syllabuses are identical at both faculties, so it seems like UNSW would be the better choice (it sooooooo has a much slicker brochure). but i guess the most important external factor is that i live only about 5-10min away from USYD, and i sorta like the warm cosy atmosphere there (i don't particularly like the prospect of trudging up all those steep stairs at SCientia just to reach the law building - i feel like i'll fall over).
another question, do you think employers would look on either uni more favourably than the other, for any reason? (eg. reputation, esp in a situation where the candidates, one from each uni, are very close in terms of everything else).

i did my work experience with BDW (blake dawson waldron), i sorta regret not asking them, but i really wasn't thinking of this at the time. i emailed that hr lady who sorta org the whole thing, but she hasnt replied (prbly works for someone else now)

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
there are other ways to get to the Law building, other than trudging up the scientia stairs...(ie, take a bus to upper campus)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i think i read somewhere that what you learn at both faculties is exactly the same

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
minai: but don't most ppl get off at the anzac pde stop?
nope
if u catch a UNSW bus (which come like every 5 mins) from central, it goes to upper campus
all the other public buses go to anzac pde (meaning long-ass walk)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
really, but i've seen 891 and 895 stop at anzac pde, unless they just go past that way...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i'll go to USYD, if it means i will avoid people who hated me in highschool (but trust me, the feeling's mutual)... and anyway, USYD is walkable from Central, unlike UNSW...
But in the end, I'm a practical person: who will offer me the highest scholarship amounts for Com/Law?

edit:
For Newbie:
Other good law courses are at ANU, UTS (UAI98.75 methinks), MacqU (Actuarial/Law UAI99.10; other Com/Law UAI95), Monash (has a Med/Law: YAY!!!!! MBBS/LLB!)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)