combined (DD) fee's? (1 Viewer)

Timmay

HSC
if i wanted to do a combined (double degree) engineering/science or comm/law or whatever would i have to pay double the contributions each year?

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
no, you dont

it just your course is longer.. you be paying 5 years hecs not normally 3 years

Generator

HSC
N/A
You pay for the indivudual units within the course, not the course in general (With HECS, anyway).

Timmay

HSC
17000 a year? thats crazy.... is that full fee paying or hec's?

(with my brother and sister my parents paid the hec's contributions for them upfront or some crap so it was cheaper?)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
One full fee year covers three of my years... education for the rich ><

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by santaslayer
Upfront is always cheaper. :)
not necessarily, I've forgotten where I read this, but its actually cheaper in the long run to defer your HECS payments, because of the time value of money, and the fact that you pay no interest on HECS, its just adjusted to CPI - and so if you invested the money instead of using it to pay upfront, you'd earn interest which will increase the present value of that money, which is actually greater than even the 25% discount you recieve - so its better to defer in the long run

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
not necessarily, I've forgotten where I read this, but its actually cheaper in the long run to defer your HECS payments, because of the time value of money, and the fact that you pay no interest on HECS, its just adjusted to CPI - and so if you invested the money instead of using it to pay upfront, you'd earn interest which will increase the present value of that money, which is actually greater than even the 25% discount you recieve - so its better to defer in the long run
Yeh I read that article too, I believe it was Ross Gittens (SMH). So yeh in theory it would be better to pay later down the track.

santaslayer

HSC
Woo..thanks for clearing that up. :)

But you would have to invest for the HECS to be cheaper wouldn't you?

doe

HSC
N/A
ross gittins is a knob jockey

ive excreted more insightful commentary than you'll find in smh

Timmay

HSC
yeah
20% off say 5000 = 1000

5000 at 5% (probably the best ur gonna get unless u take risks)
compounding for 4 years = 6077.53125

so if u pay the hecs ur saving 77 bucks (i think thats right anyways, also a pretty general thing) (dont flame me for being wrong im tired)
it would all depend upon ur course price, where u can invest and also inflation would make a difference but i cant be bothered working out what....

anyways paying upfront is easier if ur just getting ur parents 2 pay for it :D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
there are NO interest for hecs... they only rise it due to inflation... hence no compound either...

Timmay

HSC
i know that im saying that if u were paying hecs on the loan then the money u dont pay upfront with could be invested thats where the interest comes from

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)