combined actuarial studies/mathematics (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
unsw maths is VERY good. plus with actuary/maths double major you can sub a actl for two maths courses which kills two birds with one stone.

Affinity

HSC
Everyone gets into the part 2 courses. Look forward to seeing you.

qwerty017044

HSC
It says here

* Exemptions from Part II IAA subjects:

1. completed most of the Part I equivalent courses and obtained exemption and be completing at most the final 2 of the Part I courses at the same time,
2. have an average mark of at least 70% in the ACTL courses completed to date and have at least 3 months work experience in a financial services company, preferably in an actuarial graduate role by the time the student commences the course.

Students who do not meet these criteria may apply to the Head of Actuarial Studies for admission to the Part II equivalent courses setting out the reasons for waiving the entry requirements. Applications will be considered based on work experience and academic performance.

Students who are not able to complete the Part II courses will need to complete 2 Commerce options in Year 4 instead (FINS2624 and FINS3636 recommended).

Affinity

HSC
Students who do not meet these criteria may apply to the Head of Actuarial Studies for admission to the Part II equivalent courses setting out the reasons for waiving the entry requirements.

usually you would get some kind of internship by then

Last edited:

qwerty017044

HSC
Has anyone here done this program (combined actl/math)?. How closely do we have to follow that math part of the recommended plan? Do they mind overloading in 1st yr?

What advantages do math majors have (over actuarial only) in terms of employment opportunities?

thanks in advance

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just remember back in the old days, math majors were the path to actuarial jobs. Maths majors have pretty broad opportunities from weather forcasting to government departments in forecasting to banking and finance. I would say an actuarial grad would have similar job opportunities.

Doubt they will let you overload in first year unless you are brilliant. I.e. 99.95 uai+

qwerty017044

HSC
how far can we deviate from the math part of the recommended program ?

like, there's a lot of cool courses that I want to do that are not included in that program, and there are others in the program that sound gay.

there is lot of 2 yr level subjects in the program (6) but only (3) 3rd year level subjects.

thanks

Affinity

HSC
what exactly do you want to do? maybe there's another program which is better suited.

You shouldn't really deviate from the sample plan for the first 3 years, perhaps with the exception of not doing MATH3901 which pretty much repeats ACTL2003. You can try to overload though. I pulled Linear algebra to Year 1 Session 2 and Analysis to year 2.

The first and second year subjects are not really negotiable, then only thing you could perhaps do is take ACTL2002 instead of the stats courses and do something else in place.

qwerty017044

HSC
what exactly do you want to do? maybe there's another program which is better suited.

basically, I want to do actuarial studies because of some sense of job security, and i AM somewhat interested in it.

I want to do math because i like it and was under the impression that people could pick whatever math course they wanted as long as they fulfilled prerequesites and was enrolled in a science degree.

I don't have too much of a problem with the program, just the excessive amount of level 2 subjects, and I don't see the reason for the lack of flexibility.

I guess I'm particularly interested in the pure maths part , eg set theory, topology, analysis

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
if you think about the level 2 maths courses arent so excessive. back in the old days you could nail it all out in a semester. now they only offer certain subjects in one of the semesters so you cant do it. its still not bad, you take calc and stat with two actl in sem 1 2nd year; alg, DEs, complex with two other actl in sem 2. if you wanna do linear models you can keep one of your actl subs for year 3.

Affinity

HSC
qwerty017044 said:
basically, I want to do actuarial studies because of some sense of job security, and i AM somewhat interested in it.

I want to do math because i like it and was under the impression that people could pick whatever math course they wanted as long as they fulfilled prerequesites and was enrolled in a science degree.

I don't have too much of a problem with the program, just the excessive amount of level 2 subjects, and I don't see the reason for the lack of flexibility.

I guess I'm particularly interested in the pure maths part , eg set theory, topology, analysis
That's to make sure every math graduate knows what they ought to know. I am sure they could let you skip those and do something more advancedif you can demonstrate your competence in those subjects.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
velox said:
Doubt they will let you overload in first year unless you are brilliant. I.e. 99.95 uai+
You can't overload in first year. Unless, of course you visit the ever-so-shifty Dr Trenery, he will do anything if the price is right!

The Faculties of Business and Science will flat-out reject any overloads in first year. Don't even bother trying with them, go see Maths instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)