Combinatorics Question (1 Viewer)

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC
I stumbled upon this question from the MANSW textbook. It is part g) and h) that are troubling me

What does three of a kind mean?
And how do I do those parts?

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 8.22.54 pm.jpg

goodcat911

HSC
1688209602448.png
three of a kind basically means the cards are the same number/value but from different suits so a possible 3 of a kind can be getting 2 of hearts, 2 of spades and 2 of diamonds. to do these kinds of questions u have to think about it in terms of total number of cards that can result in the outcome given which usually would be 4Cx as there are 4 cards that are duplicates of eachother (except from different suits). also have to consider that if a pair is chosen, the remaining cards in the hand can't be the same as that pair hence u times by 12 and not 13. i might be wrong tho cos i flopped my perms and combs test 😅 also dont have a calc on me rn so wasnt bothered to solve for value

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC
View attachment 38775
three of a kind basically means the cards are the same number/value but from different suits so a possible 3 of a kind can be getting 2 of hearts, 2 of spades and 2 of diamonds. to do these kinds of questions u have to think about it in terms of total number of cards that can result in the outcome given which usually would be 4Cx as there are 4 cards that are duplicates of eachother (except from different suits). also have to consider that if a pair is chosen, the remaining cards in the hand can't be the same as that pair hence u times by 12 and not 13. i might be wrong tho cos i flopped my perms and combs test 😅 also dont have a calc on me rn so wasnt bothered to solve for value
Thanks a lot for your reply !!!, I understsand it now :)

Also its all good lol, i got the concept so thats more important ig :)))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)