Coles Myer Group Interviews (1 Viewer)

G

Gavvvvvin

The hotel booking question was something along the lines of: "A customer comes into the hotel and claims they have a booking, but the booking doesnt show up in your computer database. What do you do?"

The customer also has a small child, and the interview person seemed to be impressed by people who took the child into account as part of their solution (ie. trying to keep the child happy so they dont have a hissy fit).

G

Gavvvvvin

Should I wear business attire? Black shoes, pants, nice buttoned up shirt. I dont wanna overdress :p

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i wore causal (ie. jeans and a tight shirt and thongs) and pass the group interview

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i applied for coles online and there is a new store opening in mysuburb and they site sent me an email about it, they wanted me to do a series of online tests to see how i think and stuff. has anyone else done this. they say it takes about 40 mins.

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
yeah i did it ..its ok doesn't take very long...bit repetitive though

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
I read to about the 26th page and was planning on reading the whole thread when i realised its 51 pages.. whoa. anyway, i've booked my group interview for feb 1st at 2pm. who's w/ me ?

how can the group interview take 1 hr when they only ask you 2 questions ? and that hotel question.. is that at the parra one, and do they currently still ask it in the interviews ?? i would think i'd need to prepare my answers for this, but 99.9% of the time i work best under pressure & on-the-spot.. like with exams ^.^

can someone tell in detail, what exactly happens @ parra group interviews ? thanks.

is a roflcopter
HSC
lol they are just about to fire us christmas casuals
why are they giving more inteviewS??!

Collin

HSC
N/A
Ok my whole process with ColesMyer has just completed and I'll type a low-down from my own personal experiences to help some of you guys. Basically I applied at ColesMyer for alot of stores and ended up getting Officeworks.

- A few days after I did the online test, employment emailed me to do a group interview.
- Group Interview: Totally easy, just got there to fill out a few forms while the employment chick explained the history and management of the corporation. You'll also need to stand up and introduce yourself. Smart casual was the dress code and basically everyone went in casual.
- A month later employment rang me for a position at Officeworks. I accepted and a manager interview was organised a week later. At the manager interview the manager basically had this little booklet with pre-determined questions like 'Why do you want to work for Officeworks', 'If a customer stood in front of a digital camera, what would you do next, as a sales assistant?'. The answer they wanted was basically go up, ask them if they need help, assess their needs and try to match up their needs with an appropriate product. If they accept, then try to upsale it even further.. e.g 'if you're going on holidays, it might be useful to also get a few extra memory cards' etc. Then the manager talked about what he'd expect out of me as a staff member, my hours, trading hours, general operations and layout of the store etc. etc.
Just a tip, they REALLY favour someone who is flexible with their hours.. so when they ask for your availability, to maximise your chances try to be as flexible as possible.
Overall the interview was 1 hour, and now I've gotta do an online induction. Next Monday I'll be going to the store for an instore induction and then I'll be getting into it.

Hope this helped.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Jumpman said:
this is the part im having trouble with :p
I'll tell ya what mate, they favour people with experience and people who choose alot of stores with a high availability rate. So just hang in there and if you were really picky with your store suburb/store/hours, then expand them.

Jumpman

HSC
I'll tell ya what mate, they favour people with experience and people who choose alot of stores with a high availability rate. So just hang in there and if you were really picky with your store suburb/store/hours, then expand them
my problem exactly, i guess i should open up a bit and try other places but im lazy

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
as i have said before, if you're picky they will not just favour others over you, there is a huge chance they will not consider you at all.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
argh.. thing is, I want a job RIGHT NOW not 5 months later. that's why i don't know if i should even bother going to this group interview thing.. seems like such a hassle.

reading through i know some of you's got the job eventually. was it worth it ?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
there is no reason not to try, if you get another job in the meantime you turn this one down, if you're not doing anything that day go to the interview!

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It's kind of hard to expand our availability now because we can't modify our application. I've only got Kmart and Target on the list.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Annegelic said:
argh.. thing is, I want a job RIGHT NOW not 5 months later. that's why i don't know if i should even bother going to this group interview thing.. seems like such a hassle.

reading through i know some of you's got the job eventually. was it worth it ?
worth it if u aint got a job

illodous

Angels...
HSC
It doesn't matter if you have a brain in your head and a charisma to knock the socks off people.. they just want low-paid slaves.
I went to one their group interviews when they were advertising on Seek. I don't exactly consider myself an idiot (and no to stroke my own ego) but I was turned down because they had younger kids who were willing to work literally day in, day out.

If you're desperate and really passionate about the job, I'd say go for it. But otherwise, I'd look elsewhere. They are almost as bad as Maccas.

Collin

HSC
N/A
illodous said:
It doesn't matter if you have a brain in your head and a charisma to knock the socks off people.. they just want low-paid slaves.
I went to one their group interviews when they were advertising on Seek. I don't exactly consider myself an idiot (and no to stroke my own ego) but I was turned down because they had younger kids who were willing to work literally day in, day out.

If you're desperate and really passionate about the job, I'd say go for it. But otherwise, I'd look elsewhere. They are almost as bad as Maccas.
That's a bit generalistic don't you think? If ColesMyer want low-paid slaves, they would hire an army of 15 year olds. They want people with ability, experience and a high availability. If the position you were looking for was simplistic in duties, such as stacking shelves, then obviously they'd prefer to go for younger kids who they'll get to pay less.

So what position were you looking for? Which branch of ColesMyer? What are you past work experiences? What's your availability? Your post seems reeling with bias.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I don't know why everyone says it's so bad, I got a job easily, and at that time I had schooltime availabilities. (Which granted were probably more flexible than most schoolkids, but I was the youngest at my group interview).

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Being the youngest would make you appealing to colesmyer for obvious reasons. Im not saying this is purely why you were hired, but I think it's a main factor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)