Coles Myer Employment Process (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
stupid question
coles don't pay overtime to casuals right? cos i've never gotten it before but now i am i think ('ot2' and 'otph 2.5' on my payslip) and my manager thought i was parttime, but i was like no i'm casual...and i'm pretty sure i'm getting casual rates :s

HSC
yeah coles do pay overtime to casuals. i think you get it when you do >38 hrs or something? but you need approval from your store manager, and then the store manager needs approval from the area manager..

i got it when i did a 42hr week. that was a sweet week~

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yeah cos $12.80whatever for an 18yo is the casual rate eh??
hahaha i kind of don't want to ask in case they made a mistake and make me pay back the $300ish i've got in ot

Collin

HSC
N/A
Dunno about Coles casuals but I know many Woolies' ones do, with no threshold on weekly hours minimum. This is for Sundays, public holidays etc. I'm pretty sure for both Coles and Woolies that you get paid overtime on casual for going over full-time hours (roughly 38hr/wk).

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
For CML (well, at least, Bi-Lo), as far as I've found out, casuals only get OT for working more than 38hrs/week, &/or 7 or more days straight.

Dr_Doom

HSC
This is what I got when I was casual

14: $7.70 /hr
15: $8.10 /hr
16: $9.28 /hr

steelite

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
For CML (well, at least, Bi-Lo), as far as I've found out, casuals only get OT for working more than 38hrs/week, &/or 7 or more days straight.
For Coles, you get OT after you've worked 38 hours, which doesnt include the lunch breaks. But anyway, it doesnt matter, when l got OT it was hardly anything extra, only a bit extra because it was on a Sunday.

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
ive been working at kmart for 3 years as a casual. im going to quit my job. retail has killed something inside of me. i can't work in that industry anymore. i think i'll just concentrate on uni for now.

*Minka*

HSC
If you are casual - no. You are not legally required to give any notice.

When I quit, I am going to do it at a real bitchy time with no notice.

vg_woz_here

HSC
LOL!! i work @ coles as a Casual and want to quit ASAP !!

so what do i say to them if i want to quit (resisting the urge to make a scene..LOL.nah *jks*)..

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I know in my store they demand 2 weeks notice of any unavailibilities, but in terms of quitting, as a casual you're employed on an hour-to-hour basis, and thus are only required to give 1 hrs notice (as are your employers if they intend to fire you).

Personally, I think this is kinda harsh and, well, rude, really. But, each to their own.

vg_woz_here

HSC
Lollllll 1 hours notice!?!?!

i seriously cant be bothered workin @ coles anymore..its too far from home and the managers are stupid and i hate the maximum 4hrs per shift thing....so that would explain why i cant be stuffed ringin for shifts....

enva

HSC
N/A
hipsta_jess said:
I know in my store they demand 2 weeks notice of any unavailibilities
Does your store manager have the rosters setup for the entire month/ 2week period or just the single week?. I know that we have to give 4weeks notice of any unavailibilites as the rosters are done for the month, but it rarely stays that way. I know i get sick of getting shift cuts and only sometimes get notified by a phone call. The union and company seem to disagree on who is responsible for informing staff regarding shift cuts.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
The rosters are done on a monthly basis (ie, week a, b, c, d), and the permanents always have the same roster (ie, week a of may is the same roster as week a of june)
Then, the casuals are done on a weekly basis, but, the roster is done 2 weeks in advance (although, we don't get to see it til the Thursday before the start of the week [roster runs Monday-Sunday])

*Minka*

HSC
I am so sick of only getting to see my Roster on Saturday because I can't plan anything. I have started making plans anyway and telling Target it is their fault when I can't do a shift because I was not given it long enough in advance and had to go ahead and make the plans. Fuck them.

daman

HSC
i received an sms from coles myer notifing me off a night fill position vacant at bi-lo near where i live. just a few general questions that i couldnt find answers on browsing through the threads:

what if i dont like the job can i leave relatively easily and quickly (night fill could be shit, i dunno)

once i have a job with a coles myer company would i be more likely/have a greater chance of getting to higher places e.g work team manager or some shit and maybe even getting transferred to work at myer the department store, which is where i want to work

pros and cons of night fill and should i apply? i dont want to have a lame ass, low life job

thanks heaps

synthesized

HSC
N/A
i started at coles about 5 weeks ago after going to a 1 on 1 with the store manager and now i'm in nightfill in the dairy section. it's perfect because nightfill times are always after 4.30 pm at the earliest (except sat), and all my university stuff is before 4pm, and the store is 5 mins away from my house :D

i've only had about 6 shifts so far though, and it's been about 4 weeks since my last shift. i went for a week without hearing from them after my last shift and then i missed a call from them (i dont know how many times they tried me) on a saturday, and i haven't heard from them at all since, 2 weeks later. i think i'm in their black books or something cos they couldnt contact me when they needed me :(

is it common for new nightfill casuals to not receive many shifts after they just started or not?

daman: if you are casual you don't need to give your employer any notice at all. you just simply don't turn up. i haven't been there long enough to know about getting into team leader stuff. but for the pros and cons of nightfill, the 6 shifts ive had so far havent been too bad, pros would be you can choose how hard you want to work (i think were expected to fill something like 60 boxes a shift but nobody really notices how much you do), you're not on your own so it's not completely boring, the cons would be your hands get cut and sore as well as your back, ummm thats about it as far as i can tell, it may after so many months start to get heaps boring. i wouldnt completely call it a lameass low life job.

Last edited:

ricenoodles

HSC
I used to be a team leader over a department at BIGW and got regular shifts (for night fill). Then we got a new boss and consequently no more team leader role and less shifts. =/

DooGseY

HSC
Becoming a manager will depend on how much staff turnover there is at your store. Its not hard to become a manager, you just need to work there basically longer than anyone else and not be a dick. That might take years and it still probably won't happen though.

You can transfer between coles myer brands, but I think its kind of difficult and I've never known of anyone that has done it. I think your boss has to help set things up and generally they don't like giving away workers. You can still apply to myer like normal when they have openings though.

If you like going out a lot nightfill probably isn't for you. Main times are thursday-saturday nights so if the boss likes you, you will basically miss every party ever. It does pay reasonably well though.

is it common for new nightfill casuals to not receive many shifts after they just started or not?
It depends on a lot of things. Casual employers rank availability pretty highly. If they know they can call one person and get them to work every time they probably will. They might have lost your number, you may have pissed them off, your manager could suck, lots of things could result in you not getting shifts. Call up and ask if they need any shifts covered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)