coleridge (1 Viewer)

moemoe

how does frost at midnight relate to imaginative journey...s?? what can i say about it??

olay

HSC
jello :) i kinda posted this in a different thread, but here goes again.

basically frost at midnight has a whole bunch of small imaginative journeys within it.

1. at the end of the first stanza... the spirit. He imagines a spirit that inspires ppl to think. i guess the spirit is like a metaphor for the presence of imagination, and the fact that it inspires and provokes thought.

2. next stanza its about him daydreaming and yadaya. This is to show the power of the imagination to bring pleasure/sooth and how it can be used as a method of escape from your immediate surroundings.

3. the following stanza is about his vision for his bubby and how he wants life to be like for him/her. This shows the ability of imaginative journeys to be a tool of foresight.

hope that helps. :)

moemoe

hey thanks heaps
do u have ideas for how lime tree bower relates to imaginative journeys?

olay

HSC
LoL yeah hang on a tick. :) don't feel like thinking atm so i'll grab me trusty notes n see what i can whip up. ok basically, its about the ability of imaginative journeys to transform perceptions. i reckon thats the main point of it all... he's all boohoo i can't go out with them all this limetree bower is my f'n prison. you see he then realises that "hey... nature is around me right here. this lime tree bower is not my prison!!" [this would all be the final stanza beginning 'A delight Comes sudden on my heart, and I am glad as I myself were there!...'].

also in the first stanza, he points out the power of memory to bring pleasure [the 'beauties and feelings, such as would have been most sweet to my remebrance.......']. reminiscence = form of imaginative journey [well...journey of the mind, anyway].

oh, and their physical journey reflects his imaginative journey.

thats the main gist of the poem, and ofcourse how wonderful nature is. *eyesroll*. hey i'm most definitely pro-nature but D: give it a break Coleridge. o_o. wish he'd just take pleasure in it instead of debasing its value by writing about it over and over and over again.

anyway.... does that help?

olay

HSC
what i have so far is just a 2 pg list of assumptions that we have that coleridge challenges [i might scan it through if i'm not lazy :D] if you really want that i'll make the effort. don't know how much it'll help though - but it got ideas into my head clearer. the other thing i've done for it is related my own additional texts to Coleridge's poetry [similarities & differences]. bottom line, i'm happy to post 'em, i'm just not sure how helpful they'll be!

moemoe

hey, yeh if u could post em or send em to my email that would be great!
thanks heaps!

4onga

rime of the ancient mariner

Hey, this is weird (new ) to me, so bear with me... In the Rime of the Ancient Mariner (the long poem), what is part 7 talking about??? i'm only thinking about how the mariner is saving the hermit, and something about the mariner's pennance that goes on with this before the wedding guest goes a wiser and sadder person... I won't come to forums very often, since I'm at a boarding school for the most part... so if possible, could you also post a reply on my e-mail: alextlong86@hotmail.com . It would be greatly appreciated...

dilos

HSC
haha olay is 'The' coleridge meister...u could make a living out of this next year....not this year tho- we need you, lol:rolleyes:

olay

HSC
LoL *waves* :( i hate TROTAM but i'm trying to write about it atm. hmm i'll try n write bout the whole poem so that we all understand it better. :D and hmm.. making a living out of it? interesting career prospect. :p

okie dokes. well overall, its about

a.) the power of language to take us on an imaginative journey. b.) the destructive nature of humans. it assumes theres a world beyond the physical [with an emphasis on a christian perspective] that draws together gothic and christian imagery to create this world.

Values: nature [Coleridge is obssessed with it i swear. :S] as a living, active force. The value of ppl. And he places value in the role of the storyteller [as someone with wisdom to share].

PART I
Significance of the first chunk - wedding guest is in a rush to get to the wedding "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!" notice how everything is pretty bright [glittering eye, bright eyed, cheered sun, shone bright etc] shows things are all good at this stage. ALSO check out how he hears the bassoon n is still aware of the wedding - shows hes not completely engaged yet.

then at about line 40... it gets all chaotic "the ice was here, the ice was there...' - line 60. repetition shows they're encompassed by ice. all this chunk [40 - 64] shows the force of nature.

then see how it sorta all calms down when the albatross is around? i think this reflects the peaceful nature of an albatross n heightens the senselessness with which the marineer kills the albatross.

line 80-84 - we see the wedding guest engaged instead of concerned about the wedding - power of imag. journeys ALSO note that he talks less n less as the poem goes along [showing his increased interest in the marineer's story]. damn theres part I down............... :D NEXT POST!!!!!!! [i think it'll be a bit clearer if i do it by posts].

olay

HSC
i forgot to mention - killing the albatross, a bird of goodluck is pretty dumb - so choosing to write about the albatross emphasises the senselessness with which we destroy nature.

ok so the other ppl are pist at him for killing the marineer "ah wretch! said they, the bird to slay, that made the breeze to blow!" but then the fog cleared they blamed it on the albatross. "'twas right, said they, such birds to slay, that bring the fog and mist." arse wipes. so it makes them just as bad for justifying the murder of the albatross. so they're goin n going n going... calmness of 100-119 section is in contrast to the next chunk [which is violent, full of hellish imagery e.g. "water water everywhere.... like a witch's oils, burnt green..." ] they're dehydrated and now they blame the marineer for all of this, signified about the albatross round his neck.

olay

HSC
PART III

they're tired - repetition of "weary" oh and with this dehydratedness i don't know the words feel painful to me :S i can't explain it but i'm sure its significant cause it sorta means we can feel their pain. :( ouch - "throats unslaked, black lips baked." but then in 160 on they think they've been saved from the hell they're in "Gramercy! they for joy did grin" by the ship they see approaching. then they're all 'wtf? how can it be going so fast when "without a breeze, without a tide, she steadies with upright keel!". ' (does anyone get the "striaght the sun was flecked with pars" thing? cause i don't). so anyway what it really is, is death coming to get them and everyone on board around him is dying :S btw "like the whizz of my cross bow" - the image of the cross bow links his act directly to the deaths of the crew.

olay

HSC
PART IV

wedding guest thinks mariner is a spirit, the mariner confirms hes not. NOTE: he hasn't spoken since end of part one.. he was really into the story!

mariner is "alone alone all alone..." <-- repetition of alone emphasises how lonely he truly is. This is to point out how valuable the ppl around us are and that they should be treasured. He is repentant but his penance is refused in a way - he can't pray in 245 though he tries. :( poor fella. the curse is in the eyes of the dead men - they don't rot.

it gets prettier with the moon going up "softly she was going up a star or two beside.." - theres a sense of gentleness. he observes nature and sees how beautiful it all is. then "a spring of lvoe gushed from [his] heart, and [he] blessed them unaware." at this moment he can pray, and the albatross falls off his neck. This is a symbol of release, and yey he can pray now! only when he respects nature can he be forgiven.

olay

HSC
PART V

the spells breaking, he can sleep, he can drink!!!!!!! :D and hes grateful for it too. hmm hey new thought: its also about appreciating the things we take for granted, like water and satiating thirst. OHHH and SLEEP :) BEAUTIFUL SLEEP!!!and WOW! MOVEMENT!! the ship its moving *YEY* note how the last parts were quite "slow" [after the deaths of the guys and all the tumultuous horror] n now we get moving from 310. the crews resurrected but they don't speak "nor moved their eyes", but they're sailing the boat. and though theres no breeze, the boats moving.

this time when the wedding guest speaks, he says one line - he's uber gripped.

the corpses are actually blessed spirits. we get a lot of sound imagery here... "an angel's song." it all seems miraculous and smooth sailing until

round 385 where it comes a tad chaoti again and hes down on the ground in a fit. [anyone find this random? i thought he was sposed to be pretty much forgiven...why were they being so nice by freeing him if they're gonna shove him into a convulsion???] anyway theres two spirits he can hear n one of the spirits goes "the man hath penance done, and penance more will do." saying he suffered for his deed but should continue to do more.

btw aww how kind my bro is making me lunch. :D this poems making me all appreciative of things. *aww*:)

olay

HSC
PART VI

shows the moon is guiding the ship, force of the moon reflects the power of nature. mariner wakes from his lil trance and then he [wow! theres a kookaburra on my fountain outside. :D yey for nature] feels a wind on him - odd coz "nor sound nor motion made", and hes home!!! home in "mine own countree." he describes it with beauty, Then the angels [seraph-band] leave the corpses, and its beautiful but i think hes sad to see them go. BUT then he sees a boat with a pilot, the pilots boy and a hermit!

olay

HSC
PART VII

the small boat heads up to the marineers boat n they're all "that is one waqt boat" - they see that "the planks look warped! and seet hose sails, how thin they are and sere!". The pilot is freaked by it, the hermit is intrigued. then the mariner's ship suddenly sinks. [or sinketh, as the side note says :D] hes floating on water and before he knows it he's saved by the small boat. the baot spins and spins, pilet goes into a fit and the Hermit starts playing the pilot's boy is goign crazy. He calls the mariner the devil! [ln 569] they get on land and he begs of penance from the Hermit. he told him the story and "it left me free" - the process of storytelling is catharthic here. "..that agony returns: and till my ghastly tale is told, this heart within me burns." - he has to tell his story over and over again to release his agony. around ln 600, he talks bout how lonely his thing was and how great company is - again hitting his value in people.

610 - 619 - moral of the poem. :D ok i'm sorry i cbb dissecting it coz i have 2 essays to write...so you guys can go through that [;) and post it too if you would be so kind!!!!!] but wow i think that was pretty indepth to write stuf about. :D and i understand the poem now! YAY! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)