Coleridge - LTBMP (1 Viewer)

scruffy012

HSC
please tell me if i got this poem right or i will fail with the rest of the exam :)

in lame mans terms about LTB, Coleridge is writing about how he is pissed off that he cant walk with his friend William Wordsworth, because of a burn, this is blatently obvious " there they go, never to be seen again, this LIME-TREE BOWER MY PRISION!", but through the use of imagination he takes himself (and us) on a journey of which his friends, Charles Wordsworth and some other guy travel and this calms him down, "what a beautiful sight indeed", it is shown throughout the whole poem the idea of pantheism- god in nature- the fundamental ideal of the romantic movement, the poem as a whole is a suppressant in coleridges feelings, and an demonstratiion of the beauty of the romantic moivement

points from the Excel English Guide 2004 for lime tree bower my prison

- city VS nature (charles from the city being inspired by the beauty of nature)

- imagination releases us from the bonds of space and time (Coleridge calming down after spack:p)

- appreciation of beauty and love (pantenism/Romantism ideals)

- the creator God (Christianity/Pantenism/Romanitism symbolised by nature)

- celebration of the natural work and of friendship ( friendship between Charles and Coleridge).

so... what do ya think, please reply your opinion as this can make the AoS for the ppl studing Coleridge easier... and to see if i got this aspect right before the HSC

Thanks Scruffy :p

Last edited:

scruffy012

HSC
oh yeah

with discissions with teachers, they suggest with Coleridges poem, that you dont go into great depth to get an answer in the essay, you rather have to discuss the aspects of coleridge and discuss how these aspects affect his writings. (ie panthism/Religion/Socio-context)

you have to know the context of coleridge and the reasons behind each poem basically going off my teachers and my understanding of the syllabus question.

see ya

Scruffy

frazzle

HSC
scruffy012 said:
with discissions with teachers, they suggest with Coleridges poem, that you dont go into great depth to get an answer in the essay, you rather have to discuss the aspects of coleridge and discuss how these aspects affect his writings. (ie panthism/Religion/Socio-context)

you have to know the context of coleridge and the reasons behind each poem basically going off my teachers and my understanding of the syllabus question.

see ya

Scruffy
so you're saying less on textual detail and more on context/concept?

Bini

You should talk about some of the poetic techniques

Throughout the poem Colridge uses alot of alliteration anily with the 's' sounds this allows the reader to be 'lulled' (if you will) into an dreamlike state which allows the reader to more easily undertake the imaginative journey.

SuperCoolLoz

No No No...textual detail...dont be led astray by context. the question doesnt ask for it. Go straight into the text. im mentioning the term 'romantic influence' once but i go straight into the beloved tecniques becuase its AREA of STUDY and not critical study of texts. You dont have time for context in the AOS essay and the marks come from the textual detail supporting journeys.

scruffy012

HSC
frazzle said:
so you're saying less on textual detail and more on context/concept?
well i was explained by my teacher since we are advanced students we are supposed to do both, mainly, to show also how examples interelate with another using techniques, ie (conversation tone in LTBMP allows the reader to empatise with coleridge, and understand what he has experienced, "well they are gone, this lime-tree bower my prison!")

that i believe through the discussion with teachers, you do PEEL

P- Point out your technique
E- Example to be given
E- Effect that the example has towards text
L- Link to the next source

so yeah a total contradiction 2 days before the exam isn't good................

scruffy

Last edited:

Lorie

HSC
scruffy012 said:
well i was explained by my teacher since we are advanced students we are supposed to do both, mainly, to show also how examples interelate with another using techniques, ie (conversation tone in LTBMP allows the reader to empatise with coleridge, and understand what he has experienced, "well they are gone, this lime-tree bower my prison!")

that i believe through the discussion with teachers, you do PEEL

P- Point out your technique
E- Example to be given
E- Effect that the example has towards text
L- Link to the next source

so yeah a total contradiction 2 days before the exam isn't good................

scruffy

sam you stole the peel idea from me you stooge.

Lorie

HSC
ok, yeah the context of lime tree bower has some relvence, however you shouldn't get off the idea.

Coleridge's main theme in LTB is the phyiscal isloation from the world. He uses the bower symbolic as a physical prison from the world. However, this bower is an imaginative link between him and the imaginative world. Coleridge counters his physical isolation with his imagination. He then is able to experiance the journey that his friends are having.

Altough the concept is a tiny bit tacky (some guy bitching about not be let outside), it is expressed beauitfully. This peom also uses unique techiques such as demostrative nouns, combined with the regular poetic techiques, that make this poem a classic.

eth

HSC
Lorie said:
sam you stole the peel idea from me you stooge.
Quite clearly he didn't, half the teachers in our area know it. My English teacher (at Alstonville) knows at least a dozen other teachers who tell their students to use that method, or a similay one

[size=+1]P[/size]oint - make your point
[size=+1]E[/size]xplain your point
[size=+1]E[/size]laborate on your point is necessary
[size=+1]E[/size]xample - usually a quote
[size=+1]L[/size]ink back to the question/thesis

although another teacher come up with something different - seeing as us guys can only thing about sex, apparently ;)

[size=+1]S[/size]tatemant
[size=+1]E[/size]expaination
[size=+1]Q[/size]uote
[size=+1]S[/size]ummary

eth

HSC
sorry, one quick point I forgot to mention... About LTB this time, not essay structure...

The persona is depressed because he is stuck in the bower, and can't experience the beauty of nature... This leads him to accompany his friends in his imagination, and his speculation and vicarious appreciation of the natural beauty his friends experience allows him to appreciate the somewhat more tamed, domesticated beauty of the bower, bringing him to realise that "nature ne'er deserts the wise and free"

Using the idea of pantheism in your reply allows you to focus on the poem, but demonstrates to the examiner that you understand Coleridge's context, too, which is pretty much what the examiners want.

nerd_it_up

HSC
hey,
Yeah I know this is pretty late to reply to this thread - but I just have let everyone know that Coleridge isn't thinking about Charles, or should I say William Wordsworth - he's thinking about Charles Lamb. Wordsworth was a poet who influenced Coleridge to use his imagination to produce deeply influential poetry. My favourite thing to incorporate into an essay referring to this poem is the juxtaposition between Coleridge and Lamb - as Coleridge is only temporaily imprisoned by the bower - Lamb has been a prisoner of London, pining for nature, for so many years.
But really I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that it is Charles Lamb that Coleridge is writing to - not William Wordsworth.
Have fun! Don't stress...I have my trials 2moro - 1st exam AOS - not happy :(

_Benji_

HSC
interesting locations..... i used to live in springwood, bmtns and now i live in the northern rivers :) and i dont know any of you

csacky

HSC
nerd_it_up said:
hey,
Yeah I know this is pretty late to reply to this thread - but I just have let everyone know that Coleridge isn't thinking about Charles, or should I say William Wordsworth - he's thinking about Charles Lamb. Wordsworth was a poet who influenced Coleridge to use his imagination to produce deeply influential poetry. My favourite thing to incorporate into an essay referring to this poem is the juxtaposition between Coleridge and Lamb - as Coleridge is only temporaily imprisoned by the bower - Lamb has been a prisoner of London, pining for nature, for so many years.
But really I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that it is Charles Lamb that Coleridge is writing to - not William Wordsworth.
Have fun! Don't stress...I have my trials 2moro - 1st exam AOS - not happy :(
im sure that all schools that are having the trials weeks 3 and 4 all have english AOS on day 1. so that means we should all stress. don't worry you are not alone. we are all in the same boat here.

good luck to everyone who is doing imaginative journeys like me. :)

SmileyCam

HSC
This is a GREAT discussion of LTBMP!!! everyone needs to read this

but, Lorie, what did you mean by "demostrative nouns"?

Last edited:

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
We should remember that the AoS is very subjective, so technically any answer can be correct if you MAKE it correct. If you got a point you feel is true, then make that point, and prove it! The most startling answers are those which are originial...the people that come up with that little something extra that you wont find in your study guides...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)