Cold war !!! (1 Viewer)

Twiggyy

twiggy
HSC
Hey guys, this topic is so long and so many events occured in it. Am i the only one who finds it difficult to grasp.. you got so many crisises(if thats how you spell it) and wars and stuff! its so annoying !
I was jst wondering how you guys study for it because i am tryin to go by writing notes under each syllabus point (from excel and macquarie and other hsc texts)but i feel as though the notes im writing wont give me the top marks in the hsc because it is only about 2-3 a4 pages on each.....
any ideas of how 2 fix this???

sarah_bx

HSC
What I have done, is firstly go through and create a brief timeline of all the major crisis that you have covered. Then go through and write the notes on the individual crisis in detail. Then I would learn what goes with what on the syllabus. Note that what I have found, is that as long as you have notes for all areas on the sylaabus, it is really easy to work out what u need in an answer - you don't need to know the syllabus in detail, just a timeline and the impact of each particular event! Common knowledge goes a long way with working out notes on this subject!

HSC
What I've done is gone through each of the dot points, like you're doing (except the crises) and now I'm going through and looking at all the important events that occur. The Cold War is really complicated and I think its necessary tp have a good understanding pf the entire conflict - not just the dot points. But having said that, the dot points whould be your focus because the HSC question _will_ come from one of them.

big mac

HSC
Hey i totally agree wif u twigyy. i write notes but nothing seems to be enough and i just hate this damn topic soo soo much! its just so long and there are too many things that i just get confused.

boringhousewife

HSC
cold war

I was sick for the whole of term 4, hence missed ALL of class on Cold War.
I'm doing pathways, and next year (term) I start maths and biology, so I decided to repeat Modern.
Like you guys have said, I find Cold War just toooooooo long....no way I can learn it and revise other stuff.
I reckon they ask too much in all of the subjects, particularly the histories and english.

Don Mackey

My suggestion is to read something like Cold War by Painter or Fitzgerald if you can make the time. It puts all the events into context the reasons behind it ie superpower rivalry. By understanding the reasoning behind all the crises it will allow you to write more in depth on particular crises and show a greater understanding. Plus unless it is a bastard of a question it will probably not ask about a small crisis and instead allow you to bring in different areas of discussion.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
unfortinutly the cold war is just a really really long topic -

i found the best was to organise your notes is to have a timeline of when everything happened - which also included who was in power where. If i can get my notes to come up i'll post my timeline on here - i found the basic structure for it in one of the study guides i think.

Ohk that is the link for my notes from the BOS homepage- on the first page there is that timeline - which is quiet good.

Cold War Notes

for the rest of it - the best way to do it - is probably not hte syllubus dot points as they get a little bit messy. Instead i found that if you split it up into the following you cover everythign,

• causes of the cold war
  • policies
  • events
  • treaties
  • summits
  • arms race
  • detente

hopefully that should help you organise all your stuff a little bit better.

Also with the Cold War have a look at past essay questions - there are some on every seciton - if you do a practice essay on all of the above which covers everything in that area (which may not actually be needed in the actually HSC exam) then you should have some pretty comprehensive notes in the form of essays as well.

Good Luck Guys

HSC
yes i do agree this topic seems to be the hardest one. the fact that you have only a choice between 2 questions for an essay makes it really stressful - the fact that you have to condense a period of 46 years into one 45 minute essay is too hard (well for me it is at least!)
but yeah im finding doing dot point notes on the syllabus points is quite helpful, there are some good notes up on Bored here anyway and look at past papers.

dimu2

HSC
yep the cold war sux
follow MissSavage29s advice i think she knows wut shes talking about.. its a difficult topic but right now u cant change that- the only thing uv got left to change is how prepared you'll be for modern.. so downlaod a few peoples notes, and either just copy them out in writing, or make your own notes by combining the knowledge uv gained from a lot of different resources.. organise ur time such that u can do a practice essay, and have a few days afterwards to get it marked and improved.. i normally do my first practice essay with my notes at hand, then the next one i do i look at the notes less and less

newayz, good luck
i know how gay/hard it is cuz i got the same problem
aright.. good luck pplz.. study hard cuz it does pay off
cya

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)