cold war- peaceful coexistance (1 Viewer)

angel_fire

HSC
hey
i am doing the cold war and starting to panic as i know nothing.. Was the peaceful coexistance was the put forward by the OSviets or American's.. I am sure it is the americans..

Don Mackey

Detente is put forth almost simultaneously by both Kennedy and Krushchev. the catalyst for which was the Cuban Missile crisis of 1962. Essentially the doctrine of co-existence was in contravention to MAD and the skyrocketing military spending which was detrimental to both economies. It was also essentially for the US a way of maintaining strategic control on Nuclear weapons, however towards the end of the sixties the Soviets gained strategic parity in name. The actual result of peaceful co-existence was the new appearance the cold war took on from outright confrontation to subtle influences in the arms race and implication in the developing nations post colonialism.

Peartie

HSC
"Peaceful Coexistance" was the Soviets whilst the Americans had Detente...Khruschev was talking about Peaceful Coexistance when he became leader of USSR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)