CoFA (1 Viewer)

still ill

who's studying there?
what's it like?
want to do fine arts next year even though people keep saying how useless it is :p

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
damn you i was going to start a thread on cofa :p

um yeah i want to transfer there next year to either design (maybe with art education) or art theory

and ditto for still ill's questions ...

(oh and still ill, haha depends on your definition of useless.. it's a really fun/good degree - and you can combine it with arts now, for higher employability after graduation ..)

still ill

i wanted to do art theory as well, not art education as much, i have a mortal fear of becoming a teacher :p
it would be really fun, i'm not sure what arts i want to combine it with though, i want to keep studying japanese and maybe pick up chinese or asian studies
decisions decisions...

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah i wish i had properly thought about what i wanted to do last year, then i wouldn't've had to waste a bloody year this year :(

what made you not want to do art theory ..?

i'm thinking of combining it with a masters of art administration (when the time comes..). the guy at the UNSW open day said that you're pretty much guaranteed a job if you graduate from that degree.

and yeah doing that as your arts major would be very helpful if combined with fine arts- asian countries are pretty poor in the arts industry, so if u wanted to go there to work ...

still ill

sorry, i WANT to do art theory. i don't want to do art education
art admin would be cool

i heard you went to mm the other night?! :O
i'm so jealous, what was the show like?

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i did work experience over there in yr 10......the pplz there are really nice and they will convince u that there is no money in art...the campus is sorta small, but it is still v well eqiped and is cosy. People are generally nice. However, the paddington area can get a bit scary during late nights.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
However, the paddington area can get a bit scary during late nights.
haha yeah, with all the prostitutes and pimp daddies and hobo's and druggo's and all

Originally posted by still ill
sorry, i WANT to do art theory. i don't want to do art education
art admin would be cool

i heard you went to mm the other night?! :O
i'm so jealous, what was the show like?
it was EXCELLENT check out the gig guide thread in "entertainment" forum i'll ad photos when i re-size them and videos when i figure out how to attch athem!

Originally posted by Mcdickpants
yeah johnson, you big mm watching prick :p

edit: when are they coming to bathurst?? :p
:eek: stop stalking me ! :p um well they're going to perth. oh, and you would have been able to come, they checked for ID- but only if you wanted to drin k!!!

still ill

:eek: stop stalking me ! :p um well they're going to perth. oh, and you would have been able to come, they checked for ID- but only if you wanted to drin k!!! [/B]

well that's a kick in the balls
shit shit shit, i wanted to go to that so badly too

lotus

I'm currently doing Art Theory at Cofa, and so far so good. It's quite different from art theory at school. The course is very small (only 26 in first year!) but if you combine the degree with Arts at UNSW like me you can satisfy your hunger for masses and masses of new faces.
And Paddington is in no way seedy. there are no prostitutes. paddington is sunny safe friendly and fun.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hey lotus

hmmm i know ihave questions..

um um.. how many days of uni do u have to go to? haha it might sound like a dumb question but i only have to do 2 days a week atm so i really wanna know!

and..what sorta career are u interested in when u graduate?

um can u do the art theory/arts course combined with the master in art administration fast track?

that's all for now, thanks if u can answer them for me !:)

lotus

I don't know how long this will last, but everyone in first year has had fridays off at least.
Last semester I had tuesdays off as well, but that's changed because of my arts subject at New South.
I'm not entirely sure but I can't see any reason why you couldn't combine the fast track program with arts, COFA is pretty flexible.
However you'd still have to do 4 years because the combined degree is a year longer in itself.
One of the best things about Cofa is that there's no exams - EVER! A welcome change after the HSC...

I don't know what I'm going to do after I leave uni. I reckon I'll be working in either film or art, in any capacity other than actor or artist. That leaves plenty of possibilities.

Hope I've been helpful.

Oh and when's the art exam? If anyone needs last minute help I'll tutor.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
omg.. i just read the bit about no exams, that's so cool, i don't usually have exams either and i was really dreading having to do exams!

Hmmmmmm.... okay, i think that if you are able to answer this question for me i'll definitely do art theory.. am i able to do practical subjects as electives in art theory, like, could i major in photography, specifically?

thanks HEAPS for your help lotus u were more helpful than the lecturer! :p

p.s. i dunno when the exam is (i'm class of 2002) but it's usually near the end of the exam period, i.e mid-november. you should go to the "visual arts" forum...

still ill

HSC art exam date is the 3rd of november i think
i'm fairly confident about it, only the section on critics and things worries me

lotus

i don't know whether you can major in a practical subject, but you can definitely do them.
in first year the course is pretty rigid (everything is core) but year second year onwards you have to pick an elective from any faculty in the entire uni, including photomedia.
if your deadset on doing photography in first year though, it's possible: its just a matter of timtable and course length shuffling.
i'm gonna take printmaking next session hopefully.

lotus

i don't know whether you can major in a practical subject, but you can definitely do them.
in first year the course is pretty rigid (everything is core) but second year onwards you have to pick an elective from any faculty in the entire uni, including photomedia.
if your deadset on doing photography in first year though, it's possible: its just a matter of timtable and course length shuffling.

lotus

in first year the course is pretty rigid (everything is core) but second year onwards you have to pick an elective from any faculty in the entire uni, including photomedia.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Hmm, k thanks lotus i'll give it some more thought

i'll probably follow in your foot steps though and do art theory/arts and major in theatre studies in arts course and do design and photography electives in art theory course.

i wanna be able to get some sort of knowledge about theatre design in case i want to try and get into NIDA design course further down the track

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)