Coaching Colleges in the Strathfield area (1 Viewer)

hakaru7

HSC
Can anyone recommend to me any coaching colleges in the Strathfield area that are good at maths (3u) and English (A)?

I heard that Pre Uni was good but there classes sizes are big. Has anyone been there and would recommend it to me?

Also i have heard about Matrix but i dont really know much about them, can anyone give me some more info?

Besides these two are there any other ones in strathfield that are good?

quangy88

HSC
hakaru7 said:
Can anyone recommend to me any coaching colleges in the Strathfield area that are good at maths (3u) and English (A)?

I heard that Pre Uni was good but there classes sizes are big. Has anyone been there and would recommend it to me?

Also i have heard about Matrix but i dont really know much about them, can anyone give me some more info?

Besides these two are there any other ones in strathfield that are good?
Hi Hakaru7. I don't know much about about Pre-Uni, except about that dodgy tax evasion that happened last year :p.

Although, I can provide you heaps of information on Matrix, because I went there myself for Chemistry and English in 2006. I also know for sure that their Maths course, 3 and 4 unit, is one of the most intensive and comprehensive tutoring courses you'll ever find in a tutoring college. All materials used in class there are made by the teachers who teach there, and the questions cover a very large variety of style and difficulty. I'm sorta glad you mentioned Matrix, because for me, that place was a bloody life-saver.

If you want to find out more about Matrix, go to their website: www.matrixeducation.com.au

Book yourself in for a consultation. You'll get a free diagnostic test to see where you are at, and an experienced consultant would review your marks, and see where you need to improve at and what class you are most suited for - as most maths class are graded according to student potential.

Best of luck for your exams and studies.

GeorgesBorges

HSC
Lol, quangy88 you sure you don't work for Matrix? What you wrote just seems like a huge advertisement

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Seriously, quangy88 sounds like he's advertising for Matrix. IMO, I would say Matrix is better but more expensive. I go Pre-Uni right now for Maths Ext 1. The teacher is pretty good [Saturday Course].

kony

HSC
I'd go to a private tutor. All these big companies have too many students to be able to address your individual needs. They also don't care if they lose a single student.

Just make sure you get someone who definitely knows what they're talking about, rather than someone who needs one hundred more quick bucks to buy that Versace belt.

But in any case, don't go to Matrix. Just check out their "results". They seem to be ok (but not spectacular anyways), but thing is: most of those top people only went for a few lessons, or in some cases, they never even went for one!

smushieex

HSC
There's discovery in strathfield plaza ..
I go there. lol.
I like it. The atmosphere's nice. Tutors are prettyy good too :)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
kony said:
I'd go to a private tutor. All these big companies have too many students to be able to address your individual needs. They also don't care if they lose a single student.

Just make sure you get someone who definitely knows what they're talking about, rather than someone who needs one hundred more quick bucks to buy that Versace belt.

But in any case, don't go to Matrix. Just check out their "results". They seem to be ok (but not spectacular anyways), but thing is: most of those top people only went for a few lessons, or in some cases, they never even went for one!
Uhh... can I ask a question: did you even go Matrix? If so, for how long? I go Matrix now and I think it's pretty damn good. I've been to North Shore and all the other 'big companies' that you seem to be referring to, but Matrix isn't really one of them.

Either way, I think that you're going to need more justification than 'most of those top people only went for a few lessons, or in some cases, they never even went for one!'. Firstly, you can't just go for 'a few lessons'. Secondly, if the top people didn't go at all, then how are their opinions at all reliable?

Tsylana

HSC
If Matrix was such a big company, why does the manager, an award winning aeronautical designer also teach there?

Imho. Matrix was good in my lower year educations, but the classes just don't progress fast enough for me anymore to satisfy my needs. [If you're doing individual study + tutor you'll find yourself progressing very fast ><" and eventually the tutor is just there to fill in the gaps...] I still goto Matrix though.

btw... i wouldn't goto matrix for english.

kony

HSC
Continuum said:
Uhh... can I ask a question: did you even go Matrix? If so, for how long? I go Matrix now and I think it's pretty damn good. I've been to North Shore and all the other 'big companies' that you seem to be referring to, but Matrix isn't really one of them.

Either way, I think that you're going to need more justification than 'most of those top people only went for a few lessons, or in some cases, they never even went for one!'. Firstly, you can't just go for 'a few lessons'. Secondly, if the top people didn't go at all, then how are their opinions at all reliable?
I didn't go to Matrix because of their inexcusably low results, and disproportionally high prices. But plenty of people I know have been there, and I did go once for a trial thing we arranged.

What I meant was that they have so few actual solid results that they need to invent some. For example, say I went to Matrix for a term and found it rubbishy. Then I leave after these couple of lessons (well I think a term's worth of lessons is hardly substantial), being disgruntled. Then they would publish my results that I attained through my own hard work and advertise it as if they were instrumental.

In addition, let's suppose I went to Matrix for chemistry only, and did horribly. However, I did brilliantly in all my other subjects and got 99.50. They, Matrix, would advertise this UAI as well.

of course, this isn't only for Matrix. All tutoring companies have to resort to this method, because the absolute best students generally don't do tutoring. Hence why i said go get some private tutoring from past students.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Tsylana said:
If Matrix was such a big company, why does the manager, an award winning aeronautical designer also teach there?

Imho. Matrix was good in my lower year educations, but the classes just don't progress fast enough for me anymore to satisfy my needs. [If you're doing individual study + tutor you'll find yourself progressing very fast ><" and eventually the tutor is just there to fill in the gaps...] I still goto Matrix though.

btw... i wouldn't goto matrix for english.
I defintely support not going to Matrix for english. I just went there for 2 terms in English, and found that it was a complete waste of time and money. They just don't care about you as an individual, english started off good, then they threw in so many fob's in the class that it just wasn't worth my time. I'm currently with a private English tutor and she is excellent.

However, I find science really good at Matrix. It made me really enjoy science, and am thinking of doing chem with them in term 4.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
kony said:
I didn't go to Matrix because of their inexcusably low results, and disproportionally high prices. But plenty of people I know have been there, and I did go once for a trial thing we arranged.

What I meant was that they have so few actual solid results that they need to invent some. For example, say I went to Matrix for a term and found it rubbishy. Then I leave after these couple of lessons (well I think a term's worth of lessons is hardly substantial), being disgruntled. Then they would publish my results that I attained through my own hard work and advertise it as if they were instrumental.

In addition, let's suppose I went to Matrix for chemistry only, and did horribly. However, I did brilliantly in all my other subjects and got 99.50. They, Matrix, would advertise this UAI as well.

of course, this isn't only for Matrix. All tutoring companies have to resort to this method, because the absolute best students generally don't do tutoring. Hence why i said go get some private tutoring from past students.
Yeah, I have several horrible stories about first-year university students trying to tutor people as well. I mean, they know their stuff, but seriously, they can't teach for shit. :mad1:

TearsOfFire said:
I defintely support not going to Matrix for english. I just went there for 2 terms in English, and found that it was a complete waste of time and money. They just don't care about you as an individual, english started off good, then they threw in so many fob's in the class that it just wasn't worth my time. I'm currently with a private English tutor and she is excellent.

However, I find science really good at Matrix. It made me really enjoy science, and am thinking of doing chem with them in term 4.
I'd have to agree with you on that. I'd say Matrix excels at both Physics and Chemistry, good at Maths but somewhat lacking in English. I don't really believe in English tutoring in general though, simply because the subject isn't really content-based and you develop most of the skills you need from your classroom teacher.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
Yeah, I have several horrible stories about first-year university students trying to tutor people as well. I mean, they know their stuff, but seriously, they can't teach for shit. :mad1:

I'd have to agree with you on that. I'd say Matrix excels at both Physics and Chemistry, good at Maths but somewhat lacking in English. I don't really believe in English tutoring in general though, simply because the subject isn't really content-based and you develop most of the skills you need from your classroom teacher.
I would say Maths is the one subject that isn't 'really content-based' (just make sure you understand the theory and proofs, and of course practise many different questions regularly) in the HSC, which is why many past state-ranking students for eg did well without tutors. Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe kony was one of them? (I at least know the student from macquarie fields who topped mathematics last year, was one)

Also, funnily enough, english tutoring is probably the most popular of all subjects. Probably has more to do with the idiosyncratic requirements of the Board rather than content-based outcomes though.

I also second Discovery's qualifications in the strathfield area.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
English tutoring of any kind isn't that useful to be honest. Nevertheless, I still go to Matrix for English >_<

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
kony said:
If you want to know more about Matrix, look no further than:

http://www.matrixeducation.com.au/HSC-Results

But don't look at the UAIs, look at the faded bit of maths above "our courses".

d/dx(tan³x) = 3(tan²x) ?????????
How is that even relevant? Why would something in the design of the website even be a consideration in whether or not to go to Matrix? Seriously, that's pathetic. If this is the best you can come with, you really have to try harder next time. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)