Co-op (1 Viewer)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by anti
Okey, let's see what I can do :) There are a few co-ops around, by the way, I just forget who they are.

I do comp sci co-op (first year).

I was a prefect, did peer support, lifesaving, volunteer work at the RSPCA etc. They're not just looking for those sorts of things, they also want you to be interested in things OTHER than study (eg sports). There's also an emphasis on leadership skills.

They do interview many people. If you really want to know I can ask at the co-op office for you as to how many people applied. BIT has more applicants than Computer Science as a rule, but then BIT has 20 more places than Comp Sci.

They notify you a few days or the day before the UAIs are released if you're successful. Whether you get the scholarship or not is, of course, dependent on your UAI, so you have to call them and tell them your UAI before they actually accept you.

There is also a 'waiting list' - ie, if you didn't quite qualify for the scholarship but someone who was selected didn't get the required UAI, you're in. :)

As a sidenote, they did ask me about my other preferences and other scholarship applications. I'd be careful of putting down co-op as a 'oh I might as well' thing, since they'll think you won't be as devoted as other students may be.
Originally posted by anti

I do comp sci co-op (first year).

I was a prefect, did peer support, lifesaving, volunteer work at the RSPCA etc. They're not just looking for those sorts of things, they also want you to be interested in things OTHER than study (eg sports). There's also an emphasis on leadership skills.

i do a few of those things so that is good.

Could you please go through the interview procedure so I will have an idea of what/what not to do.

thanks.

hk31

HSC
i want to know the sort of questions and how i should present myself...that is, if i even get to the interview stage!

oh yea...if there will be questions that might throw pplz off a bit...
if so, can u post them plz?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
mabye interview procedure is secret....
they might have to sign a contract to not disclose anything...
Not likely. We'd have been told about that by now!

Inferno

I used to do BIT. If you're made it through to the interview stage, good stuff - obviously your application has been good enough. The purpose of the interview is basically to put a human face onto the paper application you mailed in. They just want to know if you're (1) who you said you were on paper; (2) can communicate well, as in being reasonably articulate in conversation; (3) well-rounded (since you can't put everything onto the application form). The kinds of questions they ask are typical of any interview...

Things like "why are you interested in this course" (so you have to know what the standout points for the co-op program are), "give us an example of a situation where you have demonstrated leadership", "give us an example of an achievement you've been proud of", "what do you do when you're not working/studying/at school?"

They'll ask you if you have any questions at the end of the interview. Be prepared!! Make sure you have one or two questions to ask of your interviewers. Something like, "the job market has been depressed lately, how much more attractive will this program make me in terms of finding employment at the conclusion of my degree?"

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by jm1234567890
mabye interview procedure is secret....
they might have to sign a contract to not disclose anything...
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Not likely. We'd have been told about that by now!
lexi, i think jm was being sarcastic abt that :rolleyes:

-=AETOS=-

Why'd anybody apply for an IT degree @ UNSW is besides me :p hehehehe

but as far as i know they have to get your UAI before they can tell you if you are accepted or not . THEY DO NOT tell you whether you are in the course or not BEFORE the UAI's are released... I got a call on 11am on the day the UAI's were released offering da position...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)