Co-op Study Groups? (1 Viewer)

lachy95

HSC
So I was talking to a uni student today and he told me that, rather getting tutored or attending a coaching college like Prior or Matrix, he got involved in this 'cooperative study group'.

Basically, students applied by giving in their report cards and also doing a quick test. Then, the top 6 or so students were selected to study.

The supervising adult wasn't really a tutor - more of a facilitator. Every session the group had, he would find a past paper and have them do it. The group then shared their answers with each other.

The problem is he didn't have any phone numbers or contact details and told me that he found out about the service through word of mouth. So I can't google it or anything.

Does anybody know of places that offer this sort of thing? Have you participated in them yourselves and, if so, are they a good idea?

Thanks

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Never heard of it, but I am curious as to why only the top 6.

Surely ANYBODY could benefit from moderated study groups.

sky_angel

HSC
So I was talking to a uni student today and he told me that, rather getting tutored or attending a coaching college like Prior or Matrix, he got involved in this 'cooperative study group'.

Basically, students applied by giving in their report cards and also doing a quick test. Then, the top 6 or so students were selected to study.

The supervising adult wasn't really a tutor - more of a facilitator. Every session the group had, he would find a past paper and have them do it. The group then shared their answers with each other.

The problem is he didn't have any phone numbers or contact details and told me that he found out about the service through word of mouth. So I can't google it or anything.

Does anybody know of places that offer this sort of thing? Have you participated in them yourselves and, if so, are they a good idea?

Thanks
That sounds really cool! I want to know too where you can get something like this. But cant students just organise these study groups ourselves? Every time I go to my local library, I see all these groups of students studying together.

lachy95

HSC
Yeah I thought it sounded pretty sick too. And carrotsticks, I guess they do it in order to group people with like abilities. I don't see why numbers 7 to 12 couldn't also form a group. It sounds like all the positives of group study (sharing knowledge etc.) without the negatives (procrastinating, chatting - by virtue of the facilitator).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)