Co-op Scholarships (1 Viewer)

yorkstanham

HSC
So who here has applied for a Co-op in engineering?
What stream did you apply for?

I have applied for a scholarship in civil engineering, hope it all goes well

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
yorkstanham said:

pray you get good placements for the 12 months block, bad placements can ruin the whole experience. Losing a year on your cohort will suck, just keep your eyes on the money though.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
hi there.

i know everyone sings the praises of the co-op program, but i don't think it's that great. the best thing is that it offers varied experience, and you get paid while at uni, but i personally think that students get a bit of a raw deal.

$15k per year (or whatever it is) works out to about $250 per wk after tax. this is pretty sweet while you're at uni doing nothing, but it feels pretty rough working 35-40 hours a week during the holidays for only $250.

The whole experience is also a little bit of a jackpot depending on your employer - some are fantastic, offering you great working conditions and interesting work - while others will basically treat you as a slightly glorified office assistant.

the civil engineering co-op isn't as well established as some of the other co-op streams, so the range of employers won't be the best either.

there are heaps of better scholarship/cadetship programs out there with much better conditions and less responsibilities. (sorry, i'm not up to speed on civil engineering opportunities, but have a look around).

good luck with the HSC and your application for uni!

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
ianc said:
$15k per year (or whatever it is) works out to about $250 per wk after tax. this is pretty sweet while you're at uni doing nothing, but it feels pretty rough working 35-40 hours a week during the holidays for only $250.

the civil engineering co-op isn't as well established as some of the other co-op streams, so the range of employers won't be the best either.
there are heaps of better scholarship/cadetship programs out there with much better conditions and less responsibilities. (sorry, i'm not up to speed on civil engineering opportunities, but have a look around).
there isn't much else going in civil, co-op is just about the best deal you'll get. The alternative one (i'm on it :D) is the same weekly rate, but only gets paid 40 weeks a year. upside being that work experience is paid at a proper rate, not $250/w. Look for these ones, it work's out about the same financially as co-op but goes for one year less. Work experience has equal chances of being crap though :(

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
oh really? i would have thought that civil would have heaps of stuff going...

yeah the better scholarship programs pay ~$300pw while you're at uni, then double that when you're working for the company.

plus you don't have to do all the co-op leadership stuff...

so i guess all im trying to say is that if you're bright and likely to get offered heaps of stuff, then don't just assume co-op is the best and lock yourself in for 4-5 years

good luck :)

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
yorkstanham said:

did u get one?
i didn't.. so devos but i got my next preferences (electrical + solar/photovoltaic). Its not the same tho.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
congratulations to everyone who was offered a scholarship!

my recommendation is that if you were offered one for something other than your first preference - don't feel pressured into accepting it. The fact that you have been offered a co-op scholarship shows you are the sort of student that other companies would be willing to give cadetships/scholarships to (perhaps not this year, but in the next couple of years). Also, you are less likely to go well in a degree that you really don't enjoy

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ianc said:
congratulations to everyone who was offered a scholarship!

my recommendation is that if you were offered one for something other than your first preference - don't feel pressured into accepting it. The fact that you have been offered a co-op scholarship shows you are the sort of student that other companies would be willing to give cadetships/scholarships to (perhaps not this year, but in the next couple of years). Also, you are less likely to go well in a degree that you really don't enjoy
They didn't get offered a scholarship yet.They just got into the interviewing stage.

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
lyounamu said:
They didn't get offered a scholarship yet.They just got into the interviewing stage.
Thanks for that.

I'm curious as to how long you spend on BOS though, because everyone I go, you seem to be on every thread correcting people.

darkhorse166

Focused...
HSC
I got my interview offers for PV/Solar, Material Science and CompSci, I'm happy :D

Is it generally one place per sponsor company per course for the engineering courses? Can't be anywhere near as many places as for the business and finance ones, but I'd imagine it's still pretty competitive.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
i know for elec eng, for those who were in first yr in 2007, there are 3 co-op places

not sure about the others. i think it does depend entirely on how many sponsor companies they can get

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
poisonives said:
Thanks for that.

I'm curious as to how long you spend on BOS though, because everyone I go, you seem to be on every thread correcting people.
I just come and go regularly. I don't stay for too long at once.

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
ianc said:
i know for elec eng, for those who were in first yr in 2007, there are 3 co-op places

not sure about the others. i think it does depend entirely on how many sponsor companies they can get
oh i see...

btw what am i supposed to say at the interview.. cos the ppl r gonna know civil was my first pref, so am i just supposed to be like 'yeah... elec is my 2nd pref... but i still like it?:)' lol

sweetgal

HSC
got interview for pv/solar engineering. how many people do you think they interview for one place? woah do some people get more than one interview? didnt realise that. haha

darkhorse166

Focused...
HSC
Some stats I got from a person from UNSW when I went to the careers day:

Last year, there were:

630 applications (people applying)
119 places available
1786 preferences
497 interviews

I have no way of verifying these numbers, or whether these were for the whole Co-op program or merely the engineering side of things, but going by those numbers about a quarter of people interviewed get a place.

sweetgal

HSC
darkhorse166 said:

Last year, there were:

119 places available
1786 preferences
497 interviews

I have no way of verifying these numbers, or whether these were for the whole Co-op program or merely the engineering side of things, but going by those numbers about a quarter of people interviewed get a place.
oohh.. must be 630 people applying altogether. can't imagine 119 places being available for engineering alone. wel all the best for interview, people! =D

Bainesy

HSC
darkhorse166 said:

Last year, there were:

119 places available
1786 preferences
497 interviews

Hmmm, some interesting stats.

I didnt go to the careers day. what else did the co op guys say?

darkhorse166

Focused...
HSC
Bainesy said:
Hmmm, some interesting stats.

I didnt go to the careers day. what else did the co op guys say?
Nothing terribly important that one can't find within the brochure anyway. xD

I just got some good advice on how to respond to the questions, stuff like writing about personal experiences and all that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)