Co-op scholarships for comp sci / BIT (1 Viewer)

frazzle

HSC
I gotshortlisted for computer science and BIT. Right now I am tryign to make up my mind. what are the employment opportunities? I really need to draw up a big pros/cons list... help please!

If we get them, we have to let them know whether we accept the conditional offers on dec 20th, so does that mean i have to have made up my mind as to what i want to do? and does that mean whatever offer i accept it will be my first and only preference? or can i accept and decline later if i change my mind?

it's all so confusing... =\ please shed any light this way!

Last edited:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Are comp sci and BIT different courses? I mean i think you're pretty safe with co-op because you graduate with industry training and not like other "normal" graduates that just go through uni without the experience, so you're at a very good advanatge. Chances are the companies that take you on for industry training will ask you to work for them under contract. Even if you dont get a contract with the company, you have like a year and a halfs worth (i think) of experience AND you go the "scholarhip" to it so it will look better. I'm sure you are gaurunteed a job when you're with co-op :)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Supposedly, BIT is a quarter computing, half information systems (i.e boring), and quarter biz. I really recommend computer science, unless you don't like programming..

Anyways, choosing between compsci and BIT means choosing between using linux computers and microsoft computers for most of your uni degree :p. Might I also remind you that BIT is part of commerce faculty, while compsci is part of engineering. And by the sound of it, both courses are about technology. Just my 2c

btw all the INFS (i.e BIT related) course I did (since I do software eng, i have to do a bit of them), is BORING as HELL.

sunny

meh.
HSC
[my 2c]BIT is not real computing, its information systems[/my 2c]

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
As those have said above, BIT = INFS = Commerce Computing, or IT, not REAL hardcore coding. COMP SCI is REAL computing.

So if you like to design software, like games or applications or even Operating Systems, then pick COMP SCI. On the other hand, if you want to design solutions for a business in terms of IT, ie if you want to work out how many computers running this OS, using this network proticol, etc etc then you want BIT.

Now for my own 2c: I went for the BIT Co-op. I got as far as the interview stage and realised that BIT was not the course for me. I now regret not applying for the Comp Sci one as well. You are in the fortunate postion of havaving applied for, and been accepted into, both. If neither seems to be closer to what you want to do (in other words, if neither grabs you as better than the other imediately), then you should look at the websites for the courses, not just the Co-op websites, but the websites for the actual courses under them (regular Comp Sci for Comp Sci and INFS for BIT). This may sway you towards one or the other, beacuse they are definately course for different people, and you should not decided based on a Pro/Con list ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)