Co-op programs (1 Viewer)

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
For a commerce degree co-op in UNSW what is the exact requirments?

I heard you need a UAI of over 96 and that you need a large number of leadership skills.

I'm thinking is it worth it to do a large amount of community services and stuff so there is a better chance of getting the scholarship ?

ALso please someone explain to me the process of co-op in UNSW. DO they really interview people before they get your UAI and tell you if you make it or not. Basically then getting a super UAI of like 99.95 is useless since the UAI only come into play after the decision was made.

One last question, is there any form of commerce scholarships for other unis and what are their benefits ?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
um yeah leadership is really important, as well as volunteer stuff, basically any extra curricular stuff that demonstrates you don't only study. uai, doesn't really mean much, though they will ask your school for the ranking in your school overall, and they ask for rankings in individual subjects.

also, they do interviews before you get ur uai, and if u are successful, they make a conditional offer ie. if u get a uai above wotever it is, u get the scholarship.

usyd offers quite attractive commerce scholarships, though these tend to be based alot more on uai, usually 99.7 plus

get a brochure at open days, or off ur careers advisor, or visit their website if u want more info on the process

santaslayer

HSC
yea my friend got a co-op at unsw doing BComm(actuarial) , his agreed uai was 98.5 (i think) but then he got 99.7.lol
on the other hand i had a friend who got 98.85 who wanted a scholarship in B Eco which was in the really low 90's but missed out coz people who got 99+ were applying as well

fitz33

HSC
i got a co-op for actuarial and i didnt really have much volunteer/community stuff at all. as long as you do heaps of shit outside of studying that should be okay, e.g. sport, music etc..
leadership stuff is good to have though.

the first cull is done pretty much based on people having decent marks and doing a decent amount of extra curricular things. from then on its pretty much up to how you perform in the interview.

uai doesnt matter so long as you do actually make it into the bcom degree (but your unlikely to get an interview if they dont think you'll get it).

addz

HSC
i recieved an offer for the Co-op for ISM (info sys management) but i declined it (there goes 50k :( but thats another story)

anyway..i wouldnt really say i did much in terms of extra curricular bar peer support and some sport. but other than that its based around how well your interview goes (its good to have experience in these and be confident in your answers) and maybe also your school marks (estimated uai,etc.) but not as much.

try not to lie, because they will know, if you do it in the application form they will be most likely to snuff you out in the interview so beware of that...its all about communication i guess..if you cant talk to them, they cant talk to you..

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
and yeah, don't apply if ur not really interested in the degree. cos they'll ask u for reasons why u like the degree in the interview,and if ur not thta passionate, they can tell

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
so yeah, try to sound like ur really interested, even if ur not lol

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
LOL the course I think i'm applying in is something which I really like :) So passion wise I think i'm ok

Can anyone tell me any like tricks to make your self stand out amongest others to co-op selectors. I moved school in yr 11 so basically I didn't get src or prefect in my new school. Yet I'm joining as much committees as possible in my schoo now.

PLus i'm trying to find any form of community service. Can anyone tell me any good ones ?

addz

HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
so yeah, try to sound like ur really interested, even if ur not lol

yea
thats what i did...
i didnt even know what the subject was aboutr...lol
but yea still made it in the end..well sorta

umm..tips...
extra curricular looks good on form and in the interview...but they might not even talk about that...the most common question is the hypothetical "where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 20 years??" and also ask them some questiosn...like prepare yourself to ask some so it looks like you are interested and keen

fitz33

HSC
make friends with co-op people who are doing whatever major it is you want to do, because they are the ones that read the applications and decide who gets the interviews :p

seriously though, just spend some time on your application and make sure its good and then come back if you get an interview and ask for more tips then

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
they'll ask u to describe a situation where u were in a team to solve a challenge and the result. then they'll ask shit like why do want to do the course and stuff. they'll ask for a lot of personal experiences, and things like the most difficult decision u've ever made. they basically want to know more about you, and whether u fit into the type of person they're looking for. also, maybe try to say things that u think they'll wanna hear, instead of the truth...but only if u can pull it off :D:p

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
can you do a co-op program for a double degree of B Commerce and B Science??

cause it's 4years already, co-op would make it five?! and if you do honors lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)