• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Clueless (1 Viewer)

Jackie90

HSC
wow!!! the pictures I saw of some people's major arts work are just WOW! I'm in year 11 and going to stay in Textiles but I just can't figure out what to do for my Major...

I'm the type of person that plans ahead but there is nothing in my mind... all I know is that I want to make a dress.

So I was just wondering (to the people that have already done their major) how you came up with what you wanted to make?.

HSC
Well, if i was you, i wud go to the "texstyle exhibitions" they are really helpful as they give you a guide. but i came up with m y idea gradually, ike you definaitely wont stick to one thing throughout your whle time. i also incorparted as many technuqes as possible;
i wud do something that you love and has a lot of difficulty, cause you get good marks.
be careful with apparel, as they do mark alot harder.
DONT ofrget: try and start as soon as possible, but dont rush, and lsat mintue jobs leave you in turmoil. ALSO uttilise your time during the chirtsmas perioid. this is a fanstastic time to start sktches and what not.
if you need any help just ask me.

bethrealistic

HSC
If you've studied textiles in year 11 and in junior years, then look back on past projects you've completed and what you do well in - if you enjoy the arty/decorative stuff, but tend to get better marks for very practical apparel, maybe you could find a way of incorporating creative/decorative techniques in to an apparel garment.
(For example, I enjoy practical functional projects, so I chose apparel.)

If you're not so good at the technical - like fabric testing and and analysis of functional design - then maybe choose to do an art piece where there is less focus on these aspects.

One rule - DON'T try to do EVERYTHING!
Pick one category, and do one very definite item - if you try and do too much, your work will look cluttered, this happens especially with creative projects. Pick an innovative/creative but relatively simple project and do it WELL.

Good luck! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)