classical (1 Viewer)

planino

HSC
a little overplayed, to be sure

but words cannot describe the sheer sense of...being alive that one feels listening to beethoven no.5
How did I not get notified of your post ?!
LOVE this movement of the 5th :)

HSC
Speaking of piano concertos, I think Brahms deserves an honourable mention :D I can never stop listening to his second piano concerto in B flat

Here is the first movement which has one of the most difficult and daunting passages ever for a pianist with only two hands. It's also the only piano concerto (since Beethoven) in which the orchestra is at least important as the soloist.
One think I love about this piece is that it constantly keeps us guessing. The first thing we hear isn't the orchestra or the piano, but a horn solo which takes the rising pattern of the opening three notes, giving it a character of a question which then the piano enters and develops the tune before the horn even finishes. Once the orchestra comes in, it's only gently with the woodwinds which is later joined by the strings. It at first seems to be a nice, lovely, pastoral relaxed kind of movement in which the orchestra traditionally takes control of the entire opening section of the movement. However Brahms surprises us once again by completely reversing the roles. No sooner the orchestra enters, the piano aggressively comes back, threatening to tear the theme itself into shreds. All of this in a span of the first forty seconds.

Anyway I can go on forever about this it, but you all should listen to this wonderful piano concerto :)

EDIT: Here is the full piano score + orchestral cues if anyone is interested
http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP02761-Brahms_-_083_-_Piano_Concerto_n.2_Bb_(2H).pdf
I'm about to see this at the sydney opera house, can't wait!

Last edited:

planino

HSC
how was it?? Not the piece (we all know the answer to that), but I'm curious about it's interpretation and the general atmosphere of a concert

Edit: Just looked at your photo, why so few people??? Nice view, you can really see his hands move from that angle

HSC
how was it?? Not the piece (we all know the answer to that), but I'm curious about it's interpretation and the general atmosphere of a concert

Edit: Just looked at your photo, why so few people??? Nice view, you can really see his hands move from that angle
Oh the concert was amazing. I thought the pianist played beautifully although at some points the orchestra totally drowned him out haha. I think they played the slow third movement the best, you could really hear a pin drop in the whole concert hall and the cello solo was also very good.
Where I was sitting, I could only see his hands when he was either playing really high or low notes, I mostly just saw his back lol. And in that picture, I arrived there pretty earlier so most people haven't been seated yet.

planino

HSC
Sounds quite nice overall. I love solos, be they cadenzas (are there any for the piano in this concerto? I forget. Unrelated: I love the Rach 3 cadenza) or whatever. Ah that makes sense, otherwise if the concert hall was only half full then it'd probably insult the pianist and friends

WeaselPowa

HSC
I live with Classical music - my sister practices every day ^^. Usually though, I like most of Joseph Haydn's pieces.

planino

HSC
I live with Classical music - my sister practices every day ^^. Usually though, I like most of Joseph Haydn's pieces.
What's your favourite piece by him? I'm unfamiliar with Haydn and I'd like to give him a try (obsessed with Rach prelude op23 no4 right now and need to listen to something else before I start over-listening to that prelude)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Ive been listening to it a bit lately and I'm starting to agree

but karajan is way better

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Who here listens to Vivaldi's four seasons ?

TheBui1

HSC
N/A
Heres a more recent one. Bloody beautiful track :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)