Classical Vocalists Unite (1 Viewer)

becibu

HSC
There seem to be some classical singers here. Please post and tell me something about yourself, I feel like I am the only one in my school who actually likes opera and classical music let alone sing the kinda stuff.

I did my grade 8 singing exam last year and passsed, Im also a pianist playing at gr.6 level. Anyways ... anyone looking at the con for next year? Tell about yourself ... :)

xandersnape

HSC
Hey I don't do grades but I'm in exactly the same boat! Im pretty sure there is only 1 other person in my whole school (1100 odd students) who's a classical vocalist and she's in year 9 -_-.....

I dapple in musical theatre too....

I have no idea how I ended up doing classical.... my family can't tell the difference between opera and musical theatre... it's pretty depressing.

becibu

HSC
Hey I don't do grades but I'm in exactly the same boat! Im pretty sure there is only 1 other person in my whole school (1100 odd students) who's a classical vocalist and she's in year 9 -_-.....

I dapple in musical theatre too....

I have no idea how I ended up doing classical.... my family can't tell the difference between opera and musical theatre... it's pretty depressing.
Yay! A replay lol :haha: :music:

I felt alone for a moment... What are you doing for the HSC, I'm doing
- Green Finch and Linnet Bird (Sondhiem)
- Gretchen Am Spinnrade (Schubert)
- Flocks may Graze (Bach) Air on Cantata 208

Are you planning to study music next year ... singing possibly? What do you sing? Lol I can totaly relate to you, I have two tone deaf parents but I did choir stuff for like ... I dunno 5 years of my school life so I guess that's how I got into it :) ... that and playing classical stuff on the piano :) ... lol my mum just calls opera 'gay stuff' she learnt it off my brother!:tongue:

How long have you been doing lessons for?

xandersnape

HSC
I sang Green Finch and Linnet Bird for my yearlies last year! I love it, are you doing the movie or musical version? Musical version kicks arse.

This year I'm doing

Voi Che Sapete (Mozart)
Solveig's Song (Greig)
May It Be/Into The West (Enya/someone, a medley that took me forever to put together 0.o)
On The Steps of the Palace (Sondheim)

My musical background is pretty dull... 3 years singing lessons and 2nd grade piano (it's so low Im ashamed to admit it lol) My mum taught me piano and we couldn't afford singing lessons until a few years ago though....

I'm only doing music 1... but I might do music 2 next year by correspondance and get a job to save up for uni... I want to study performance majoring in voice later though...

becibu

HSC
I sang Green Finch and Linnet Bird for my yearlies last year! I love it, are you doing the movie or musical version? Musical version kicks arse.

This year I'm doing

Voi Che Sapete (Mozart)
Solveig's Song (Greig)
May It Be/Into The West (Enya/someone, a medley that took me forever to put together 0.o)
On The Steps of the Palace (Sondheim)

My musical background is pretty dull... 3 years singing lessons and 2nd grade piano (it's so low Im ashamed to admit it lol) My mum taught me piano and we couldn't afford singing lessons until a few years ago though....

I'm only doing music 1... but I might do music 2 next year by correspondance and get a job to save up for uni... I want to study performance majoring in voice later though...
LOL .. I complained to my dad that I had to pay for uni and he was like... "Um there's something called hecs." I'm doing the music theatre version of green finch and linnet bird:).

I wished I tried for the CON high, since you've still got some time in school (lol I've got like a month) have you thought about trying ... you already have two instruments. Singers aren't that 'great' at the CON high as far as I know ... the con teaches them.

I'm doing music1 which really sucks since it wasnt offered at my school. THought about doing it thorugh correspondance, but my piano teacher was like its not worth it. Anyways ... you should also know that you can do music with an outside tutor and count it as your periods at school. I read this off th BOS booklet and if you are thinking about it, look it up.

I like your song choices, I love that Mozart Aria, recently watched a con singer do it and it's so fun to watch as well :)

Your musical background aint dull, lol ... its similar to mine :p and most singers cant even read music ... its good you have a grasp of piano its bloody helpful :)

Are you planning to study at the con?

xandersnape

HSC
What do you mean I still have time?... I'm doing HSC this year too lol...
I'd love to go to the Con... but my theory isnt good enough.. I might try out but there's not much chance of me getting in I don't think...

At the moment my first preference for next year is Newcastle... If I don't get into the music degrees I'm applying for I'm just going to do what I mentioned earlier, take a year off. I might put the Con down as first though... just to see if I can get in lol

What are your plans?

I notice you do/did ext2 enlgish, I do too. What did you end up doing?

becibu

HSC
What do you mean I still have time?... I'm doing HSC this year too lol...
I'd love to go to the Con... but my theory isnt good enough.. I might try out but there's not much chance of me getting in I don't think...

At the moment my first preference for next year is Newcastle... If I don't get into the music degrees I'm applying for I'm just going to do what I mentioned earlier, take a year off. I might put the Con down as first though... just to see if I can get in lol

What are your plans?

I notice you do/did ext2 english, I do too. What did you end up doing?
Ohh ... lol .. I thought that you were doing HSC nxt year cause you said you wanted to do music2 through correspondance next year. But I get ya now ;)

Con's standard's of theory is actually lower than other places as far as I know ... (e.g. NSW). However, their focus is on performance. I know a comp. student who made it in who couldnt read music ... I mean they say that they teach you once you get there.

My theory isnt too good either, it's only grade 4 :(

I did a short story for my Eng. Ext 2 major work. What did you do?

My piano teacher lectures at Newcastle sometimes ... I plan to take a year off too but I'm going to try for the con this year then defer. During next year I plan to work part time, get into some volunteer work, study German, continue singing and piano and up my theory.

lol and we can be enemies :p (bit of competition ya know? ;) ... kidding XD) - I'll hopefully see you at audition date :p

xandersnape

HSC
Ohh ... lol .. I thought that you were doing HSC nxt year cause you said you wanted to do music2 through correspondance next year. But I get ya now ;)

Con's standard's of theory is actually lower than other places as far as I know ... (e.g. NSW). However, their focus is on performance. I know a comp. student who made it in who couldnt read music ... I mean they say that they teach you once you get there.

My theory isnt too good either, it's only grade 4 :(

I did a short story for my Eng. Ext 2 major work. What did you do?

My piano teacher lectures at Newcastle sometimes ... I plan to take a year off too but I'm going to try for the con this year then defer. During next year I plan to work part time, get into some volunteer work, study German, continue singing and piano and up my theory.

lol and we can be enemies :p (bit of competition ya know? ;) ... kidding XD) - I'll hopefully see you at audition date :p
Ah ok... no I was going to maybe do pathways... but that's pretty much out of the equation now :p
On the website it says grade 6-8 theory is expected. But meh, that's awesome if the actual expectation is much lower.

Yeah my theory is ... probably grade 3 ... but I plan to study up and know the content of 4 and 5 before the auditions.. it shouldnt be too bad...hopefully lol

I wrote a play for ext 2. Is the submission date passed yet? I handed mine in about a month ago so I have no idea when it was actually due.

evilelmo_2005

HSC
I love some opera's I love the tenor, it sound nice but I'm not a vocal singer I'm a pianist... but I still like tenor, sound cool

georgiaaaaa

HSC
Heyy!
Sorry to chime in but I know exaactly what you mean!
I'm literally the only classical singer in my whole school.
Everyone in my class does musical theatre or jazz or contemporary.
It's so annoying cause my songs are so much harder but theirs get marked better!!!!
How did your performances go?

becibu

HSC
Heyy!
Sorry to chime in but I know exaactly what you mean!
I'm literally the only classical singer in my whole school.
Everyone in my class does musical theatre or jazz or contemporary.
It's so annoying cause my songs are so much harder but theirs get marked better!!!!
How did your performances go?
Totally awesome, I thought I'd feel so satisfied, or elated or fulfilled once they were done. But I didn't ... it felt like meh is taht it? Are you planning to go to the con? What songs/composers are you into? What songs did you do? THe more the merrier get your singing friends (classical LOL) to chime in ... CHIME ON (sorry for being so lame) lol

:haha:

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Ah ok... no I was going to maybe do pathways... but that's pretty much out of the equation now :p
On the website it says grade 6-8 theory is expected. But meh, that's awesome if the actual expectation is much lower.

Yeah my theory is ... probably grade 3 ... but I plan to study up and know the content of 4 and 5 before the auditions.. it shouldnt be too bad...hopefully lol

I wrote a play for ext 2. Is the submission date passed yet? I handed mine in about a month ago so I have no idea when it was actually due.
Con Student here. I play Clarinet as my main instrument, but I have trained as a vocalist. I am mainly trained as a Jazz (5 years), but did a few years of classical training.

Grade 6 musicianship or theory is recommended. I hadn't done that high, but i got in on first round offers... I'm doing Education though.

They'll teach you what you need to know. Don't think of the Con as this AMAZING place that's impossible to get in to... it really isn't that at all (there are in fact, a LOT of really average musicians there)... I'm not sure about singing. I mean you need to be good and competent... but don't think you need to have the most perfect voice to get it.

becibu

HSC
Con Student here. I play Clarinet as my main instrument, but I have trained as a vocalist. I am mainly trained as a Jazz (5 years), but did a few years of classical training.

Grade 6 musicianship or theory is recommended. I hadn't done that high, but i got in on first round offers... I'm doing Education though.

They'll teach you what you need to know. Don't think of the Con as this AMAZING place that's impossible to get in to... it really isn't that at all (there are in fact, a LOT of really average musicians there)... I'm not sure about singing. I mean you need to be good and competent... but don't think you need to have the most perfect voice to get it.
Hey, so you're doing instrumental/ed? How much performance do you get to do?

To get into performance, as far as I know the standard is quite high, especially for singing. One year they only let three people in, that wasn't even a rumour it was something that the staff told me. As far as I know, vocal performance is very prestigous at the con. Singing as an instrument more than any other instrument is known to focus more on technique than musicainship skills. I know that everyone has to do aural and harmony though. Do you like the ed course? How is it going.

It's true that they are trying to 'make'the 'full package', they say that they don't look for it in the audition. During the audition it turns out that they are trying to look at the potential in the musician you are now. I would think the average musicians are the ones that play less comptitive instruments - eg. Bassoon, French Horn, Tenor Vocalist.

You remind me of some of my friends who make it through and say 'meh'its not that much of a big deal. lol, still, just looking at it from a factual level, it is the only place that provides private lessons with the degree. It is also rated as one of the best music institutions on an international level and candidates who do the opera diploma course are guaranteed a job in opera.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Hey, so you're doing instrumental/ed? How much performance do you get to do?
Well Concert Prac with one masterclass and one performance per Semester... Ensemble (usually choir, Wind Ensemble or Orchestra for Ed students, not so much Chamber music)... and then one assessment at the end of the year. But of course there are opportunities to get involved in stuff.

To get into performance, as far as I know the standard is quite high, especially for singing. One year they only let three people in, that wasn't even a rumour it was something that the staff told me. As far as I know, vocal performance is very prestigous at the con. Singing as an instrument more than any other instrument is known to focus more on technique than musicainship skills. I know that everyone has to do aural and harmony though. Do you like the ed course? How is it going.
Vocal performance is no more prestigious than other degrees... While they are looking for a High Standard. It's not like you need to be singing Lmus level pieces to get in.

It's true that they are trying to 'make'the 'full package', they say that they don't look for it in the audition. During the audition it turns out that they are trying to look at the potential in the musician you are now. I would think the average musicians are the ones that play less comptitive instruments - eg. Bassoon, French Horn, Tenor Vocalist.
No the average musicians range across all the instruments. Including Violin, clarinet, Piano etc... moreso in the Ed and MusicStudies degrees though.

You remind me of some of my friends who make it through and say 'meh'its not that much of a big deal. lol, still, just looking at it from a factual level, it is the only place that provides private lessons with the degree. It is also rated as one of the best music institutions on an international level and candidates who do the opera diploma course are guaranteed a job in opera.
In the first year of the Ed degree you only get 24 lessons or so total... the next year it's half that. The Con is a place that is only good if you make it good. Seriously... there are people there who I wouldn't pay to play for something as they are that poor a musician. If you get in on whatever round, once you're in, you're in... no two ways about it. P's make degrees and you learn stuff... simple...

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
Hey I'm from Parkes in Central West NSW and I am the only classical singer in about a 50km radius! I'm a dramatic coloratura soprano with teachers in Dubbo, Parkes, Sydney and as of next year Canberra :D I am hopefully going to be studying voice (Opera) at the ANU School Of Music, as well as an arts degree!

Anyone know of any Classical singers trying out for ANU??

I went to Open Day and I'm so excited! I got my audition date in the mail! Hooray!!

xandersnape

HSC
Hey! I know exactly how you feel...... I'm trying out for UNSW for next year.... I considered ANU for a while though....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)