• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

classical music? (1 Viewer)

muttiah

Banned
HSC
does listening to classical music helpo u concentrate?

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Doesn't seem to affect me, but I like listening to classical just for the sake of it :D

Riviet

HSC
N/A
muttiah said:
I don't, but I've read about research saying that it supposedly does help you to concentrate.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Yeah, research suggests that it does, but i would think that it's more effective for small children i.e when they are growing up.

Personally, i feel that it can sometimes help me concentrate before a test, but i wouldn't put all your effort for that test into listening to classical music. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yeah, don't rely on it to help you study/work more efficiently, think of it as bit of light entertainment. :p

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
listening to classical music only helps you get into the desired attitude for taking in new knowledge. That is only if you enjoy listening to them.

But if you want to concentrate on your studies, you really need to do a serious mind adjustment especially for those year 11 & 12 students. Most kids without a family mentor like their own father or mother would tend to underestimate this. By the end of year 10, you should start building your passion for study. One good way is to start seeking your interests, engineering, medicine, law, business, etc. Just go through websites relating to these branch of professions. This is only one of the way for you to start feeding your hunger for knowledge.
Study techniques after all these years of experience like many other uni students made me realise that it is not one of but the essential element for your concentration and ultimate success.
Personally, I hate text book readings but that's the only way for a solid and secure learning of all the theories. One way I do it is to carefully go through all the topic objectives and glossaries as they tend to give you an overview of what's ahead. It doesn't matter if you don't understand them a first, infact, it's better if you don't because that will just trigger your curiousity for that particular section of topic. So when you do actually go through the theory content, you're ready to accept the knowledge the book is feeding you while you're reading it.

Lastly, it really doesn't matter if you were a bad or good student in junior high or middle high school. Anybody can achieve great results if you make a good use of your time for the last two years. Well, not literally.

kloudsurfer

HSC
muttiah said:
Only way to find out is to try.

Personally, I find that music doesnt improve my concentration, rather it keeps me on track. The way it works for me is that without music, I get bored, but with music I am entertained and occupied by the work I am doing, so I dont get bored and can work for longer. Anyway, thats usually jazz kinda music, but its better than listenting to rock or something.

I dunno, I guess it varies from person to person.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Personally, I find that music doesnt improve my concentration, rather it keeps me on track. The way it works for me is that without music, I get bored, but with music I am entertained and occupied by the work I am doing, so I dont get bored and can work for longer. Anyway, thats usually jazz kinda music, but its better than listenting to rock or something.
I'm exactly the same.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
not listening to music helps you concentrate better. (according to a person)

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
It generally helps me but it usually depends on what piece it is. Pieces like the 1812 Overture are distracting. :)

IceOnFire

HSC
Classical music is good for your listening skills if you do any type of musical instrument. Therefore it prevents you from making mistakes when you are playing your instrument..

Anyways, I am pretty sure that classical music will help some people concentrate. :)

lulabelle

HSC
classical music helps me concentrate because there are no lyrics for me to subconsciously sing along to....or accidently write in the middle of an essay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)