Classical Greek Cont. & Ext. Class of 07 (1 Viewer)

HSC
I reread it (and the rest of the series) after Trials -- mm comfort reading. I've gone through the last three Artemis Fowl books this time and just started my favourite Pratchett. Beware.

Mr Gumby

HSC
Yes, you really did make that typo. I can see how the trading a discman thing for a guitar would be symbolic. But discman for car? That's a Zara-style typo. (BTW Zara, that concert you saw wasn't 'assume' it was 'awesome'...I think).

Your mum won't let you watch daytime TV? That's terrible. Will she at least let you watch the movies on SBS? There's one on today from Hong Kong called The Magic Kitchen, but you probably don't want to watch that. Anyway, since it's on at 1pm you probably won't be out of bed in time to see it. Tomorrow there's a French one called Fear and Trembling which looks better, except it starts at 1pm too, so you might want to set your alarm clock.

You know what you're all suffering? Classics withdrawal. That's why you're so depressed. A little Vergil (or a lot) will cheer you up. A pleasepleaseplease, Zara, don't watch Star Wars. I'm having a West Wing feast at the moment - now that the HSC's finished I can at last continue watching. I don't know why but I really love that show.

I don't think it's really going to feel like it's over until the results come out. Of course, they won't necessarily make us feel any better. I'm so used to having to do stuff I still feel guilty when I'm not, so I've been filling my day with a lot of Vergil, plus trying to pick up some Anglo-Saxon from Beowulf, and waiting for mum to come back with those Italian tapes she promised me. I know this won't last, but right now I can't shake the feeling I should be doing something productive. There is hope, though. I bought myself some WWII video game yesterday, and spent half the day shooting Nazis and French collaborators. That made me feel a little better.

I agree with Jeremy about the cricket though. There's something strangely addictive about it. Like I'll tell myself I'm going to get up and do something at the end of the over, but because there's only one ad between overs, by the time I get up the next one's started, and I usually end up staying to watch it. The problem is, this test wasn't very exciting. There are more gripping things to see than Sri Lanka getting beaten by an innings.

Mr Gumby

HSC
Woah, seems Julia and I posted messgaes at almost exactly the same time. Freaky. Yeah, I'm reading Tibullus at the moment, and trying to read Beowulf. I've got about 25 lines in and realised it might perhaps be a good idea if I knew some grammar before I started.

antiphon

HSC
hopefully the Northern Lights movie is good. I think Daniel Craig will make a good Asriel? Nicole Kidman as Mrs Coulter? uhh...maybe. and they should have called it "Northern Lights", not "The Golden Compass" XD

Zara, ignore Nick. the more Star Wars the better. even if the script of the prequel trilogy is absolutely (and unintentionally) hilarious.

HSC
I'm boycotting the movie. It looks like rubbish compared to the book. And the casting looks terrible D:, especially Mrs Coulter and Lyra. And yes, they should have called it Northern Lights XD. At least Daniel Craig was fighting to keep all the religion-overturning elements in there.

The second of the Star Wars prequels was disgusting XD. And the third wasn't much better. I'm happily a fan of the first prequel and the original three though :D

Last edited:

antiphon

HSC
hm, I haven't seen anything to do with the movie. what's wrong with the actress playing Lyra? and I dunno, I might see it if I'm bored. XD

naaah! the 2nd sucked, the first was alright and the 3rd was the best of them!

Mr Gumby

HSC
Argh, Star Wars fans! Run away, run away! I am qualified to speak about this because I have, unfortunately, seen all six of them. NONE of them are good; that includes the originals. ALL of them are bad, especially the prequels. The dialogue is awful, but the actors can't deliver it anyway, so that hardly seems to matter. They're all just an excuse for the special effects, and if that's all you're interested in you may as well play a video game. If you must watch sci-fi/fantasy, at least watch something good like Lord of the Rings.

Seriously, Star Wars! Please!

anthropoestin

HSC
just the livy and the vergil is all, nicholas, but I don't want to make you go out of the way....like posting them (I have an aaa-dree-eesss; in a sing-song voice). ooooh i love the beowulf, well, i mean, i'd love to learn old english (the actual language not the misconception of the archaic speech of middle english that is chaucer and late english that is shakespeare) and translate some beowulf...its our own anglo aeneid/odyssey/iliad....mmmm sweet sweet epic poetry

note me everyone
cayhighriser@hotmail.com

for example, i have my first hsc latin assessment on monday: a random essay question on livy's historical aims and methods.....what do YOU think are the main themes?

ABII xx

Fakhri

HSC
nicholas..just to be clear i make typos cause i am usually thinking of like a hundred different things at once..and i can't type as fast as i think..obviously so i am usually sentences ahead of what i am writing and considering at this moment i am re-watching the last star wars movie at the same time..you have to forgive/exuse me for my typos...or just accept the fact i can't spell..you want to know somthing really really sad is i can't even spell simple words like those...i always write thoes...soo i don't think i could spell anything else...and secoundly you could just ignor it and what happened to you not reading these posts...
right sorry that was a rant...

btw...also i LOVE...and IN LOVE with star wars..i am a bit of a si-fi geek...i love those movies...like star treck..and stargate (well the first season) and i adore absolutly adore lost in space..that was such a birlliant show..and oh i loved it soo much....and it was funny..and i already had my star wars day yesterday..stayed up till like 3am..considering my sister took over the tv to watch neighbours and home and away and idol...man she has bad taste in tv programs..
and another thing nicholas..you have no taste in movies..you don't even like disney..so i don't approve of your taste whatsoever...

but the best star wars movie had to be the last one..return of the jedi..i mean it was just sooo soo brilliant..and it had soo much going on..and except for those um..i don't know machine the ones that look like big animals walking really slowly it had good special effects esp. for the time....weird though that lucas didn't actual direct the V and VI movies..i thought that was the weirdest thing..but yest the VI is the best movie....and watching them all at once..is the only way i have decided you can watch them...and oh they are soo cool..and han solo..i just dont understand how you could go past star wars..i mean it litterally has everything..form a love story (for a romantic like me) to fight scenes..and some sort of moralising...somehwere i am sure..and the cute-est little creatures..like yoda..and ja ja binx....and i love CP3O...he is soo funny....i mean gorgeous...(oh yeah and according to friends (as in the series) everyone guy has had a princess leia fantasy...apparently)

right..sorry i do love star wars..no more talk about it.....unless someone chooses to dispute me...

btw AlexII...i don't really want to think of latin..so am going to ignor that you brought it up..sorry maybe in the next coulple of thousand years.....

and the cricket thing is soo true..i mean the sport ..when you think about is not that interesting but its just hooks me and i can't stop watching it though...its like a lot of sports like tennis..that is also when you think about it mindless but still as exciting as anything...

HSC
In my defence I wouldn't have made a typo that bad on purpose Nicholas.

Well seeing that she's home she won't let me sleep all day either because she needs to wake me up to go shopping or come and look at something and/or talk to her.

I'll try and watch the movie stuff though!

Cricket= BORANGED to the max! I'd rather watch the tennis.

Well I should really start reading or doing something like that again...real books like finally finishing Anna Karenina, perhaps?

I think I read Northern Lights...a million years ago...what's it about again?

I don't think I love Star Wars as much as I used to. I'd still watch it though and it's great to make fun of (as is Harry Potter). But yeah would rather watch LOTR in fact Emmy and I want another marathon very very soon. :)

Oi Zara shut up about Idol! >>

Argh I'm too tired to think what I'm replying too.

Sorry ABII I cannot think in Livy right now!

HSC
ABII, did you get the thing I sent you? Because it was a ridiculous number of pages on just what you're being assessed on.

antiphon

HSC
it's a good thing that George Lucas didn't get direct V and VI, they were the best. easily. Jar Jar Binks is just annoying.

AB, I'd send you notes on Latin...if I had any. whoops. XD but read the Preface, that's really important for Historical Aims and Methods.

Northern Lights is about daemons, angels, an althiometer, witches, polar bears, etc.

HSC
Baha, etc? XD Incision, skulls, fish, zeppelins, balloons, sleds, boats, gyptians, bloodmoss, dust...
There're no angels in Northern Lights. They come after. With the knives, spectres, worlds, more dust, and funny elephantlike things.

Mr Gumby

HSC
What is wrong with you people? How can you get past the dialogue and the acting - they're both so crap! The sort of movie that would have Carrie Lewis (is that the one tha plays Leia) or Hayden Christensen in it deserves to go straight on the scrap heap. You're right that the sixth one was the best, but only because it had those teddy bear things in it. I'd like to kill Yoda, and Jar Jar Binks. And sorry Zara, but from the girl that loves Disney movies and Star Wars (and Hayden Christensen I've heard) saying I've got bad taste in movies is pretty rich.

The Princess Leia fantasy thing depends - if you mean a fantasy about injuring her, than yes, I do.

I don't hold your typos against you, Zara, I just find them funny and can't help commenting on them.

If you believe Tolkein, AB, Beowulf isn't an epic at all. I think he calls it an elegy. I agree it's fun and it has some very good scenes, but as a whole the thing's not very well put together, and it's a long way below the standard of even the Odyssey (which is saying something for me). Please don't compare it to the Iliad or the Aeneid. I do like it, though. It's worth learning Anglo-Saxon, though, and it shouldn't be too hard for you. And if you're interested I would look up Tolkein's paper on Beowulf on the internet.

Cricket is kind of boring, I agree, but what I like is that I can sit there in front of it all day and only have to half pay attention to it. I like the commentary too - there's something about them just rambling on about nothing that I enjoy. And I like the style of the game. I don't much like tennis, but I do like watching Roger Federer, because he's good and I can at least appreciate that. I hate the game itself, though.

antiphon

HSC
yeah I got sick of listing XD and I haven't read it in a while, Ki, give me a break if I don't remember properly. XD in fact, it's been...a few years since I last read the Subtle Knife, and I only read The Amber Spyglass once in year 5.

on the other hand, my knowledge of Star Wars is significantly greater.
of course they're crap, that's part of the fun. :D but it's a cool universe. I wish I had a lightsaber. :D Nick, they're called Ewoks. Carrie Fisher played Leia, I believe. wiser than you, Yoda is.

Fakhri

HSC
well i love star wars..and yes the acting does suck..but thats not the point of the show...like you said jeremy its good cause of the ideas..
and i love ja ja binx...he is too cute....and yoda is adorable...but i think he is better in the later episodes...and you can't kill yoda he is invicible...and the VI was the best cause...well i don't know but it was just better than the rest of them...maybe cause leia and solo finally get together...well the ewoks are cute...
and nicholas the fact that u don't like disney movies means that obviously we have very very different tastes in movies and hence..don't trust your opinion about movies...
and nicholas could you maybe comment on my typos/spelling mistakes in your head..its kinda a sore spot with me...

i actual think every sport is boring..but if you get into it it becomes really intersting....like i don't like soccer but it was stil interesting to watch the finals..i think i like the atmosphere of the games more than the actual game...or i become hooked really really easily to all sports i think...but i like cricket and tennis well and netball more than other sports and would watch them out of choice and not just cause there was nothing else to watch like when i watch rugby

HSC
The Ewoks were my favourite part XDD. Adorable :D
Haven't seen any of them in ages though. Maybe that'll be tomorrow.

My family are definitely tennis people. Cricket is painful and boring and eugh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)