Classical Greek Cont. & Ext. Class of 07 (1 Viewer)

anthropoestin

HSC
Could you scan up onto the website one of the most recent ones from that booklet which you've done, and ill do the same from the book i've been using?

I think I might do one of those essays tomorrow - thanks :D

I'm getting sca-aaaaared.

HSC
Don't worry, I'm absolutely stuffed for trials...and I have 3 weeks to rectify that.

At the present moment I'm trying to do a whole chunk of Thucy prep while lying in bed because it's so bloody cold...

Man Greek is painfully annoy-anged. >.>

anthropoestin

HSC
Ah well...im sure youll go great. Let's just try and beat those grammar guys - that would make me v. happy!

HSC
Baha yeah after the somewhat depressing experience with one at Winter school, that's actually a really good aim hahahaha!

anthropoestin

HSC
oh really? what was the somewhat depressing experience, lol?? one of the grammar guys was very good?

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
I am so jealous of you guys doing classical & ext greek.
Seriously. I would have loved to do it
=)
Oh well.
Any good?

HSC
We nicknamed him "freakboy" until we found out his name. So yes, he was very good.
Or we're just very bad, either or (or both).

It is good :D Provided you can stomach Thucydides, which seems to be difficult for most people D:
You should do the Greek summer school class at Macquarie then...? (What the, learning /after/ the end of the year?)

anthropoestin

HSC
yeah its great. It's my favourite subject...or throw up between greek and french. It's so different, but at times extroadinarily hard with all the aspects and clauses. I'm so glad I did it though..

Christmasbeetle - why was he so good??

HSC
He translated a longer passage of unseen Thucydides in a shorter time than it took all three of us together to translate a passage D:

anthropoestin

HSC
etch...crazy grammar guys!

i've been doing thucydides all day..yawn..and it's been tough going. I'm doing sections from book II and III - the Siege of Plataea. It's good for vocab and practice though.....

I'm finding the Euripides unseens much harder though; do you agree?

HSC
Since doing winter school yes. Not before though D:

I've been learning chunks of vocab, and find unseens easier once I've actually learnt the set stuff. Getting used to sentence structure and all the rest.

HSC
I find writing vocab as I come across them out really helpful. It's helped me learn words that I never thought I'd remember. Preparation is officially the BOMB though. XD

I learn better spontaneously, well more I learn better when I don't force myself to learn something and I just do when it comes up.

Mr Gumby

HSC
TheLadyDisdain said:
Hey there,

I'm just interested in finding other Classical Greek students who are doing their HSC in 2007. There are 17 of us out there apparently and I know there is 3 including myself at my school...so yes I'm just interested in finding others.

So if you know anyone who does Greek or you do Classical Greek, tell me or something. :)

Yeah! I'm interested to know how the others find Greek, what they think of the course and just general things like that!

Merry Christmas!

CURRENT COHORT (from what information I've got)
Board of Studies= 17 candidates finished the Preliminary Course (6 girls 11 boys)
Pymble Ladies' College x3 (all do Cont. and Ext.)
All Saints Greek Orthodox Grammar x5 (with 3 Ext.)
Sydney Grammar School x4 (1 known extension)
Ms. Lady Disdain.
There are four Greek students at Grammar, and we all do extension.

And to the guy who mentioned the Greek study day - Grammar hosts this some time near the end of term, in late September. We have to do it when we have a double Greek lesson in the afternoon, so that could be Thursday 20, Wednesday 12 or (unlikely) Tuesday 4. It hasn't been organised yet, though, so this is just me guessing, really.

Last edited:
HSC
Thank you so much for that- I shall update the info, I guesses!? XD

That's awesome! We at Pymble are really looking forward to that day of Greek Geekyness! It'd be good to have a day to just discuss everything, especially "friend" Thucy Lucy.

So yes, collaboration would be good either day, plus the timing of the proposed Study Day seems excellent!

Hmm, what else!? Studying for Greek Trials will kill me? XD

HSC
Baha. Looks like trials procrastination dragged another Greekie in XD.

All sounding awesome though.
Will certainly be interesting getting most of the cohort into the same room. Lucky us with the ittle subject. Imagine if they tried that with, say, maths?

Mr Gumby

HSC
Trials procrastination - ah yes. I sit here in my free periods, when I probably should be doing something productive, wasting time. Not that talking to you is wasting time - necessarily - but I probably should be studying Thucydides instead.

HSC
Goddamn Thucy.
Why couldn't we have done Plato or Sappho or anyone else in the history of classical Greek civilisation (except maybe Sophocles and those other evil difficult and (no longer including Sophocles) boring writers who should be slapped into Tartarus)?

HSC
There's not enough Sappho to really study apparently, well according to wikipedia that is. Wiki says that although most of her work was well revered throughout antiquity, only a very small portion of her nine volumes remain. This small portion is basically rubbish papyrii and I think a substancial amount can be found on some bit of pottery somewhere?

So basically our main taste of the works of this fascinating poet is found through other authors from around antiquity, such as our friend Catullus. However, I think there have actually been discoveries of larger portions that are in Greek and English somewhere, therefore we can study Sappho. XD

That lovely little rant was inspired by my most favourite procrastination device. If only I learnt how to type in subjects that were relevant to the coming trials. Please, anyone, feel free to rant about Thucydides or something. Anything useful that will help me pass Greek is most appreciated. XD

For some reason sleeping on the floor or talking about things irrelevant to everything seems more interesting than studying for trials in Frees that are under a week away from today. Terrible!

Thucydides is slowly eating my brain and my patience for it is waring thin.

I agree, anything but Thucydides...I can't really think of any other Greek author I'd really like to do at the moment, except maybe Herodotus, but I do have a strong desire to do some Ovid for perfectly innocent reasons of course.

This long rant is reflective of my need to be able to write in coherent sentences by the start of next week and also the long-winded never ending style of Thucydides.

I need to stop "english-ing" in translation.

Fakhri

HSC
hey,

see i am here..and am using this as procrastination..i see someone went on after we left the library...well i thought i would join u...guess i am not going to learn electra tonight...or ever..ki you will have to do it for me...thanks love u lots

btw i joined this thing like yrs (exaggerations) ago...when someone i think my sis told me about it...so must have been last yr...but i don't remember...considering my user name i think it was actually my sis...meah...can't be bothered to change it...so you will all have to deal

also what about our beloved..or new friend ovid...who incidently ki have u read yet???

see the latin course would be much more interesting to plan......but we can bearly handle livy and virgil with the dancing salii and priests of pan let alone ovid...meh

i don't know how to end this...

oh well

lots of love

hope we are all studying to be the greatest prcrastinators in the world...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)