class timetables (1 Viewer)

rockets

HSC
N/A
How come 1st year students get GIVEN their timetables and have to wait till end of Feb. Why can't we choose the time slots for tuts/prac. I am on a contract at work for hours and have to give them notice as to when I havn't got uni and can work and that means there is only about a week from when we get our timetables and uni starts. Also does this happen every year or is it just for 1st year newbies at Cumberland.

Skeeta

HSC
Generally first years get given their timetables before everyone else.

You cant pick your tutorials/practicals, because everyone will pick exactly the same times, so they can go home earlier. Once you have been allocated one, you can try and change it, but its pretty much a lost cause.

And the university pretty much doesnt care whether you work or not. (seeing as though 90% of students have jobs)

2nd/3rd/4th years often get their timetable only a week or two before semester starts.

rockets

HSC
N/A
Thanks for this skeeta, but what a bummer - should be 1st in - best timetable! Can only hope it WON"T be all over the place with lots of time in between lec/tut, but bet this will happen.
Also a quick question for you - is it hard to find a parking spot at the uni? Is an 8am start easier for parking than a 9 or 10am start ?????????????????

fearless86

HSC
you can try and change your timetable- esp if your reason is work. i did it last year.
there'll be a uni email or a note on the timetable unit page about when and where to go to change your timetable and its not too hard.

yeah- 8am parking spots are far more plentiful than 9 or 10am.
its never hard to FIND a parking spot- the road that uni is on- east street is about 5km long and its all free parking along it. but if you get there at 8am- you only have to walk 5min to get to uni. if you get there at 10am- you have a 1/2 an hour walk.

or you can pay $2.80 and park inside one of the gates.

Skeeta

HSC
If you're a first year, and bought all of your handbooks when you enrolled, your timetable MIGHT be in there

(ours was for first year)

Otherwise, you have to wait untill, O-week (28th feb)

If you know your units of study, you can enter them into the timetabling thing on the usyd website. It will tell you when lectures and tutes run. It will give you an outline of how many days/hours you will have, but you wont be allocated into a tutorial/prac group yet so its not definite.

HSC
Skeeta said:
If you're a first year, and bought all of your handbooks when you enrolled, your timetable MIGHT be in there

(ours was for first year)

Otherwise, you have to wait untill, O-week (28th feb)

If you know your units of study, you can enter them into the timetabling thing on the usyd website. It will tell you when lectures and tutes run. It will give you an outline of how many days/hours you will have, but you wont be allocated into a tutorial/prac group yet so its not definite.
what is the exact website, this is the first I've heard of this!

nik_noodle

HSC
No, timetables have not been released early to first years this year.

Timetables come out earlier than the 28th. I can't remember the exact dates, but possibly the 17th or 18th or something was told to me at work (at the uni) the other day.

rockets

HSC
N/A
Thanks for this - so do we just log onto the uni thing and there will be an email or something with our timetable????????

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
you have to either have a genuine illness, religious reason or play sport for the uni to get out of an allocated tute. work is considered a social thing and therefore isnt usually allowed as a reason.

salsydney

HSC
i dunno.. ive never found it THAT hard to change tutes... first yr though, never even attempted to... after i started clinical stuff, then tried to use that as an excuse... but basically, suck it up. uni sucks like that.

also, apparently parking has gone up to $3! rip off!

Skeeta

HSC
ah, I had to go drop an assignment in and it was $2.80 at the end of Jan.

:(

salsydney

HSC
what assignment skeeta?

my friend went last week and said it was $3... ive been parking on the street during the break

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)